Would Joss Whedon work for Star Wars 7?

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
This is just a question I'm throwing out there.
After Firefly and the Avengers, I think he'd do it justice...there's a part of me that thinks it wouldn't work, but the man knows how to write for several characters within one story.

Of course, he's too busy to think about this, but I wonder if he'd even do it if asked?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe only as a writter, because there's a real cheapness to his directing style.

And even the way he writes characters can get really smug and obnoxious.

So I don't know.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
I bet there's a lot of good directors they could use, but the most important thing is getting Lucas out of the equation, which gives them the freedom to make a Star Wars movie that actually contains things that Star Wars fans like. The prequels were just three whole films of George Lucas doing what he liked, and if anyone had a problem with that "Well, I'm Geroge Lucas, so..." Now we're free of that can actually get a shot at a good Star Wars.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I would love it, but I don't know if he'd be appropriate. He's got a particular style. It might work as in Star Wars needing a shift back to small scale character relations and away from effects and complex plotting, but it would both be a daring move and at the same time very conservative because it would come of the back of his Avengers success.

I feel like Whedon doesn't do epic quite well enough. I imagine I might be in a minority view on that though (seriously to me that final battle was the most boring part of the film and felt a bit flat, apart from the Hulk bit)

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Star Wars Episode 7.

Starring Nathan Fillion as Han Solo and Adam Baldwin as Chewbacca.

Make it happen Disney.
Han: We're being brought in by their tractor beam!

Chewie: (growl)

Han: NO WE CAN'T BRING GRENADES. Dammit Chewie...

OT: It would be nice if he wrote for it as long as he made sure he didn't make it too...Whedon-y. All of this is wishful thinking though, and I'm not sure if his Avengers 2 schedule (along with work on other Marvel movies) would allow him enough time to handle one of the biggest nerd sequels ever.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I think he'd do an amazing job on Star Wars 7- he always seems to blend humour, suspense, and emotion so seamlessly, and they're three elements that a good Star Wars film needs.
As others have said before though, it's extremely unlikely that he'll do Star Wars 7 though, seeing as he's apparently committed to The Avengers franchise now.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I reckon he could do a good job. Though as said he is busy with Avengers 2. Can we clone him? That could work...

Though that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with good ol' JJ. Star Trek was awesome.

Which reminds me, I was meaning to check out Super 8.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
He COULD do a great job, but he has other stuff to do.
I'd also like to see Neil Patrick Harris staring in it.
I don't know what as but I'm sure Joss would find him a place.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I dunno. Star Wars isn't exactly what I think of when I think of snarky smug characters.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
erttheking said:
I dunno. Star Wars isn't exactly what I think of when I think of snarky smug characters.
Han Solo? Lando?

OT- ya i think he'd be great! Maybe with the personl tone of firefly, and the character interactions of Avengers. Not too "spectacle though".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Beautiful Tragedy said:
erttheking said:
Han Solo? Lando?

OT- ya i think he'd be great! Maybe with the personl tone of firefly, and the character interactions of Avengers. Not too "spectacle though".
Allow me to rephrase it then. Star Wars isn't what I think of when I think of an entire cast of snarky smug characters. Then again maybe I'm biased because I hate Malcolm Reynolds. It's not that Joss Whedon is a bad writer, it's just that Star Wars is a little too cheesy for his writing style.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
erttheking said:
Beautiful Tragedy said:
erttheking said:
Han Solo? Lando?

Allow me to rephrase it then. Star Wars isn't what I think of when I think of an entire cast of snarky smug characters. Then again maybe I'm biased because I hate Malcolm Reynolds. It's not that Joss Whedon is a bad writer, it's just that Star Wars is a little too cheesy for his writing style.

ya ok, then i agree with u.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Maybe I'm being a little naggy on the subject but I can't think of a single good director for the task... maybe because SW is lost to me beyond salvation. Also I'm more concerned about the WRITER than the DIRECTOR. We know from eps V and VI you can throw in any (fairly competent) Hollywood hack and get away with it, that's not the problem. Who gets to write the damn thing, though, now that Lucas is out? Does he retain some creative control over the script? Besides, there're six movies, plus assorted spin-offs, novel tie-ins, comics, TV shows and videogames all preceding/constraining the new movie/s. Making a good, coherent, worthy movie will be a titanic ordeal for whoever writes it.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Maybe if he went back to more practical aliens, like the demons from Buffy. I'm worried he might make it a little too lighthearted though. And one thing I liked about the original series was that it didn't mind holding still for a few shots, I don't think Joss has that kind of control.
Beautiful Tragedy said:
erttheking said:
Han Solo? Lando?
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJCGh0hshxk-OmT8_Q5URbV5xSJA1_moRocC1EC2i5J3TAcfyO
"Aren't you a little short for a list of snarky Star Wars characters?"
Dangit2019 said:
Rawne1980 said:

ya ya..i just woke up..cut me some slack

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
he is good at short action scenes and righting good group dynamics, so if that's what the film needed to be about then sure it would work. but yeah he could only be brought on as a writer, i reckon if they brought him on as the director people arent going to take to it because it will be too small scale for there expectations, he does better when theres a foundation to work from.

also he would somehow make it so everyone was barefoot the entire film, I mean he is blatant about his foot fetish. which i can see people bitching about ha