Would Morrowind be worth it with mods if I hated the vanilla version?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
To elaborate: I tried starting Morrowind many years ago, twice. At the time I hadn't played many old school RPGs, only modern ones like Oblivion. Therefore old school sensibilities mixed with a first person 3d perspective, and real time combat, just didn't mix and I didn't enjoy it at all, and this is no uncommon complaint about Morrowind. However, having recently gotten into D&D (big time), I now have a much better understanding of the underlying mechanics that form the game's core, as well as a newfound appreciation for less handholding in games, I'm thinking about Morrowind again.

Nexus mods has an onslaught of mods that also seem to fix a multitude of issues I had with the game's technical merits. Namely, the static NPCs, butt-fugly graphics, insufferably slow movement speed, and most importantly the shit-piss-poor draw distance.

With all these factors in mind, should I dip into Morrowind once more and drop an assload of mods on top?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
If its mostly the presentation that irked you, probably.

If it was the janky half-stat roll/half realtime ARPG combat stuff, I dunno how much of that can be modded out.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
If you don't like the game, then just don't play it. If you need mods to enjoy a game, then play a different game.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Saelune said:
If you don't like the game, then just don't play it. If you need mods to enjoy a game, then play a different game.
To be fair, I've spent 90% of my time with HoI4 with user generated content (Equestria at War, Fallout mods, etc). It doesn't help when the mods often have better music lists than the base game ... Mods can often make or break why or how you play a game. As much as I like the STALKER games, Call of Chernobyl is probably the one I've booted up the most in recent memory.

Though it's difficult to call that a 'mod' ... Call of Chernobyl + Warfare mod + gun packs + mobile anomalies = Fun.

Play on Veteran with Ironman mode. See how far you get. I don't suggest playing it on Master because all too often you can be cheapshot when you do everything right. Veteran provides enough challenge that it is your fault for nt sneaking up to an enemy base, your fault for not commanding squads to get up in there to provide assistance, your fault for not using that to help wipe out an enemy presence, your fault for not using the map and binoculars to plan out routes that will avoid patrols.

It's actually weirdly satisfying going on an assassination mission. Fiding the perfect place far enough way and using your faction soldiers to help flush the target out of cover to avoid you having to go in there personally. You take your shot, run like hell before enemies can even respond to your presence given you don't want to lose all your progress over a sidequest.

As much as I like the STALKER games, no one envies the idea of going vanilla Shadow of Chernobyl. It is virtually unplayable without mods simply by the experience of those mods and how much they improve the game.

------------

Also, I like vanilla Morrowind. At least with all its expansions. But mods do help give it a new coat of paint and improve performance. If only to reduce the number of cliff racers. Morrowind made you feel like a real wizard. A crack pot loon that travels the world by jumping across it. See something interesting as you leap over the world? Why you plummet and slam back into the ground and blow the fuck up anything that looks at you funny with self-made destruction spells and quaffing magicka potions as if you were trying to replace our blood with the stuff.

Then you bound off again with your ridiculously enhanced acrobatics.

The movement system isn't too slow when you enchant yourself with a 2000+ athletics bonus. Morrowind is like a toychest for RPGers.

It always strikes me as weird that people can like other Bethesda titles but not like Morrowind. I mean Morrowind is the definitive game of the series that was just like; "Go nuts. Here's some fun things to go nuts with."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Morrowind gives you wrong directions, you miss all the time like in Baulder's Gate (becoming stupendously frustrating) and most of the quests are fetch/kill with the a sprinkling of the even better go and talk to someone quests.

Then there is sexpot Crassius Cassius and Vivec. Very interesting characters. Honestly, the side quests are pretty boring. I think the side quests in ESO Morrowind are far more interesting.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
It always strikes me as weird that people can like other Bethesda titles but not like Morrowind. I mean Morrowind is the definitive game of the series that was just like; "Go nuts. Here's some fun things to go nuts with."
At least in Oblivion and Skyrim when you swing a sword and hit something you, you know, hit it, instead of number crunching in the background deciding it's a miss. Honestly, I think Morrowind creates its greatest barrier to entry by itself by being a 1st person, fully 3d open world RPG that released just late enough to be on the cusp of the modern era, and therefore being accessible at least on a surface level: you use WASD to move, the mouse to look, your inventory is brought up with button presses and so on. It bears enough resemblance to modern titles that it seems to be just an uglier Skyrim, but inside are all these archaic, D&D diceroll based systems that make the gameplay nearly alien to modern gamers. It's much more abstract than anything released these days.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
bartholen said:
At least in Oblivion and Skyrim when you swing a sword and hit something you, you know, hit it, instead of number crunching in the background deciding it's a miss. Honestly, I think Morrowind creates its greatest barrier to entry by itself by being a 1st person, fully 3d open world RPG that released just late enough to be on the cusp of the modern era, and therefore being accessible at least on a surface level: you use WASD to move, the mouse to look, your inventory is brought up with button presses and so on. It bears enough resemblance to modern titles that it seems to be just an uglier Skyrim, but inside are all these archaic, D&D diceroll based systems that make the gameplay nearly alien to modern gamers. It's much more abstract than anything released these days.
Know what makes Morrowind's hit/miss system great? Enemies follow the same rules for hitting you. Want to be an unarmored hand-to-hand monk? Morrowind will let you. But Oblivion it is not viable, and Skyrim doesn't even let fists be fatal.

Morrowind has this alien fantasy aesthetic I really love, and one of the big reasons I HATE HATE HATE 'graphic update' mods. I fail to see how turning everyone into uniform Barbie dolls is 'better'.

Morrowind looks better than Oblivion.

Morrowind's difficulty is more because of how dumb later games make people. Morrowind is very easy to exploit and become super OP. The barrier to entry is not Morrowind's fault, its modern gaming's fault.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
bartholen said:
Yeah, to echo Saelune's critique .... Morrowind feels like a toychest where those same mechanics apply to you, no less. If you want to play a supped up magical monk that dodges everything and murderizes at range or in close combat with your fists and magic? You can. That is entirely viable... You can even pull off the ridiculous of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon like jumping about.

Oblivion and Skyrim may have made the experience more streamline, but by dumbing it down it reduced your creative abilities to make literally whatever the hell you wanted ... Morrowind is the definitive Elder Scrolls game that legitimately feels like you're a 4 year old playing with dolls (or 'action figures' if you're emotionally insecure) and just making shit up as you go along.

And it's great. You need that hit/miss system to make your unarmoured magical monk build viable.

And you know what? The game itself knew people wold like to basically play as Elle Ragu from Shadow Skill through how it handled its attibutes. Unlike the clusterfuck that is Oblivion and Skyrim. It's no less complicated than Dark Souls, and people don't seem to think that build complexity is somehow a bad thing in those games.

The thing is you can appreciate Morrowind if you like roleplaying games. Where you build a character to ludicrously spec out a distinct style of interaction with the world.

Since when the hell is gameplay mechanical complexity a bad thing?

As much as I love Monster Hunter series, there are times when I don't seek to play games just to see swords hit things. I want that build complexity even at the cost of direct feedback and input. Because the fact of the matter is I love the idea of powering up my custom Damage Fatigue spell and instantly incapacitating an enemy before the finishing blows as I channel another spell I made to bolster my speed to ridiculous levels to kill that one guy, before streaming onwards to engage distant targets and bludgeoning their faces in turn... dodging eery blow they send my way.

And Oblivion and Skyrim won't let me do that ... And your mileage on beingable to do such things may vary, but honestly the streamlined dumbing down of "Well at least now you auto hit if you have a workable brain and fingers..." trade off isn't worth it.

Everything about Oblivion (barring the Shivering Isles) and Skyrim follows this genericness of levelled enemies, levelled equipment, perk points t make specific spells better ...It's entirely homogenized.

And that might be fine if you just want to mindlessly play a game. But everyting about Morrowind, its architecture, the people you meet, the concepts of religion and social hierarchy, how equipment, spells and build mechanics came together. It's something tht you invest n your character with multiple different ways because you're not just selecting one of three things to raise, you're not just plotting out perk points on a map of other perk points ....

You're actively finding constant weirdness in Morrowind. You're creating that weirdness. Even if you're a melee build, you have reasons to pick up at least a bit of magic and experiment with it.

Skyrim you end up becoming a stealth archer if you just mindlessly play it. Pick it up, you don't think too much about how you're going todo something, you just become a stealth archer ... it's kind of sanitized in a way that everything about it is hard baked into a mechanically accessible progression you're never once rewarded for exitting the specific type of build you want to make.

And that might do it for you ... but everytime I play Skyrim I just keep reminding myself how there was a time when I could just cast a spell and jump across the continent. I could cast a spell and literally walk into the sunset ... levitating up into the sky. Why yes ... I did kill that guard with poisonous fireballs... you got a problem with that?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's a bad thing when it doesn't fit the game's presentation methods. I decided that I hated Morrowind's RPG mechanics the fifth time in a row my arrow "missed" through the center of a cliff racer's chest. It's one thing to have that happen in some top-down or side-view traditional RPG, but when I get my crosshairs on a target in a real-time three-dimensional world I expect that to matter.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
It's a bad thing when it doesn't fit the game's presentation methods. I decided that I hated Morrowind's RPG mechanics the fifth time in a row my arrow "missed" through the center of a cliff racer's chest. It's one thing to have that happen in some top-down or side-view traditional RPG, but when I get my crosshairs on a target in a real-time three-dimensional world I expect that to matter.
Ehhh, they have stuff to fix hitbox detection. Assuming the problem is hitbox detection and not a bad build. The only problem I have about cliff racers is there's too many of them.

One again, if the trade off for 'autohitting' targets leads to less options in how you want to play, then yeah ... I'll take the miss chance. That's the thing ... this idea of 'you hit stuff as long as you have a workable brain and fingers' leads to problematic elements of actual character design. Because as much as a player might gripe, these mechanics affect your character as well. It's something you can exploit. And you can build truly fantastical build concepts that do so that make Morrowind a game that you simply can't play in Oblivion and Skyrim.

To put it poignantly ... you literally could not play Morrowind with whatever in game assets Skyrim gave you. The Telvanni architecture is truly impossible to get around because the game makes the assumption that mages can levitate, they can float up and get places as if second nature ... so their architecture is often riddled with unreachable places if you don't have those means to do so.

And so it leads to crazy ideas of architecture that are simply void in Oblivion and Skyrim. So much so every fucking dungeon has a secret way back to the entrance .... some form of shortcut. Everything has gotta be accessible to every character ... Compare that with Morrowind and there's all these nooks and crannies you simply an't get to without experimenting with the magic system. You're rewarded for digging into the very guts of the game mechanics regardless of your build. Whether that means enchanting gear, making custom spells, or simply speccing out a character a certain way. And the thing is by having that simple hit/miss mechanic, it opens up a bewildering array of character options where you can be utterly unarmoured and simply avoid damage.

There is no real 'barrier to entry' to Morrowind. If you're the type of person that loves things like tabletop RPGs and just love having a wealth of options to build the funnest build you can .... Morrowind appeals to that type of gamer. But there's no real barrier to entry beyond basic arithmetic and gameplay experience.

By Oblivion and Skyrim trying to nerf its own minmaxing desires of people who expect their RPG to be an RPG ... it's an inherently less interesting game to play. At least IMO...

Oblivion and Skyrim somehow made spellcasting boring. Because pretend as much as they want there isn't a whole lot of spells you can cast. You can cast a lower tiered, less costly spell of a version of another spell, or when you level up enough a higher tiered version of that same spell... Goody ... I am truly overwhelmed with opportunities. The design philosophy of Oblivion and Skyrim is simply dfferent ... and ultimately it depends on just what your patience actually is for how much of a grindy level fest it all is. Because you can't make that magical super-monk that simply kills stuff with fists and passively dodges a lot of stuff once they super Saiyin.... oh no, it just becomes a tedious, generic action hack and slash.

When you start a game of Morrowind ... you will bescrounging up for money to tak a fantasy world's depiction of a taxi (which is amazing)[/i] ... by the mid game, you're an actual demigod with power that allow you to leap over the entire map with ease. Where you can walk into a horde of foes, not get hurt, and paralyze them all and simply leap away like Batman.

It makes you feel epic. In Oblivion or Skyrim, you'redoing the same hacky, slashy, shooty as you've always done. The enemies have levelled up with you and in order to 'balance' the game it takes away any of the exploits you came to enjoy and use in Morrowind that might make the power gap between yourself and your enemies incredibly, ludicrously funny.

You don't feel more powerful, because the game won't give you the same extent of tools. At early Morrowind, you are often tasked to journey around ... often having to rely on landmarks to find places ... so you go from a meandering adventurer whose primary concern is simply havng enough spare gold to catch the insect bus someplace close by ... and suddenly by th mid and late game you're running twice as fast, have capacities to bound over terrain as if a giant, to teleport, to walk as if to walk on the clouds on high.

Compare this with Skyrim, and after 100 hours there's entire cities I still hadn't bothered to go visit. I didn't need to .. the game didn't ask me to ... there's literally no point in their existence ... I won't find better equipment there. I won't find more powerful spells I wouldn't otherwise have. There is no interesting quest reasons to go, and honestly they would probably ffeel about the same, anyways.

Morrowind makes you feel like an aventurer. With needs. With progression. And you actually get a sense that you're a fucking demigod ... because you can actually do godly things. How the handle quest progression is also infinitely superior to Oblivion or Skyrim. Like even your Blade contact in Balmora is (paraphrasing heavily); "Hey, you know. Thanksfor that thing youdid. Why don't you go join a guild? Do some freelance work? I'm sure I'll have something else to do once you acquaint yourself with the world a bit more."

And this is brilliant. It ties quest progression to concepts of natural proficiency, and gives you reasons to explore ... do stuff ... experiment as if an adventurer just trying to make their way in the world. Utterly lacking in Oblivion or Skyrim. Like, completely ... no natural idea of being an actual heroic chaacter the world legitimately needs even as it swarms you with dialogue pretending you are.

Everything is level adjusted and nerfed, and utterly disinterested in you actual capabilities that everything is and feels no different than when you started the game. Hit things with whacky stick ... adjust whacky stickyness with drops and loot ... follow compass points ... congratulations, you solved Skyrim.

10/10 '''RPG''' ...

Oblivion and Skyrm by taking out so much like hit/miss mechanics and nerfing their own mechanics made their worl inherently less interesting on a fundamental level. It's like what would happen if you took something like Baldur's Gate and turned it into a hack and slash action game. And that's not a good thing ... in fact I'd hate it. That's why I prefer Morrowind, because it's an actual RPG. Even the alien landcapes, the people, the religions, the politics, the fashion, the architecture, the diets of the people, everything defies common fantasy tropes.

Do you get that in Cyrodiil? No. Skyrim? No.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I'd give it a try without major mechanical mods first (visual mods at your discretion, I guess). If it's still something you can't stomach after another shot at it, then start looking into mods that mess more with the mechanics. There's almost certainly stuff that gets rid of the RNG-ish nature of the combat. As was said earlier, the journal gives you wrong or confusing directions in some quests by default, so I'd recommend a mod to fix that. Or you can just use a guide for certain steps if that's not a problem.

It's very much a game that requires you to be aware of certain things by default (for better or worse) if you don't want to get fucked up by the first bandits you see or something. Whenever I pick it up again I just make sure one of my weapon skills starts out at 40 via class/race bonuses or whatever. It makes the "missing every hit" stage a much shorter and less painful experience.

I do love the game a lot and I'm far more partial to it as far as story/world-building/just being interesting goes in comparison to stuff like Skyrim. Both are excellent games, but something just makes Morrowind far more intriguing and magical to me. Small example of that, there's a lot of spell effects in Morrowind that just got straight-up scrapped in later games that are crazy fun to use. Shit sucks.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Snippity snoop
Of for f...

I'm not going to sugarcoat this: your stance sounds incredibly elitist. As I said, Morrowind is a modern game on the outside, but an old school RPG on the inside. This leads to both good and bad. Including, for example, your assumption that people want to play RPGs with a specific build in mind, min-maxing and all that. Maybe I just want to, you know, play the game for myself? Is that so hard for you to accept that you have to use phrases like "mindlessly play the game"?

And it's great. You need that hit/miss system to make your unarmoured magical monk build viable.
Really? You need to use archaic, dice roll based systems to make a specific build viable? It's the only way to do it? Instead of, you know, designing a game with more modern technology without Morrowind's technical constraints?

Oh, and on needing to rely on landmarks for finding places: this is where the game's technical prowess actively gets in the way. The default draw distance is so poor even on maximum settings that when trying it (which, I remind you was years ago) I literally didn't know where I was outside of looking at the map, because everything further than 100 ft away disappears into a fog. I could be right next to a major city, or in the middle of the wilderness for all I can glean from the in-game visuals.

Funnily enough, your complaint about not having a reason to go anywhere: that's the exact reason I probably was turned off Morrowind the most. I'd delivered the parcel at the start of the game, then the game went "Okay, go do stuff. What stuff? I dunno, whatever, I don't care" and just left me with a thumb up my ass with no defining goal or reason to do anything. Mind you, this is basically the draw of the whole franchise, but Morrowind left me with jack shit. Because of the aforementioned draw distance, there were no faraway mountains or interesting places to go see. I'd stumbled upon no quests to pursue. Trekking through the wilderness randomly with the "miss-miss-miss-miss-hit-miss-miss-miss-hit" combat didn't seem like an enticing prospect. And cliff racers. So for every criticism you level at the later entries, I can respond to with gripes about Morrowind.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
bartholen said:
Of for f...

I'm not going to sugarcoat this: your stance sounds incredibly elitist. As I said, Morrowind is a modern game on the outside, but an old school RPG on the inside. This leads to both good and bad. Including, for example, your assumption that people want to play RPGs with a specific build in mind, min-maxing and all that. Maybe I just want to, you know, play the game for myself? Is that so hard for you to accept that you have to use phrases like "mindlessly play the game"?
Garbage ... even people that like Skyrim (and I didn't spend about 100 hours playing it because I hated it) will tell you that 'stealth archer phenomena' is problematic. The difference is the last Elder Scrolls game I played was Morrowind precisely becaue it rewards exactly those types of gamers that actually wants to dig into the guts of an RPG.

Seriously, since when did that attitude become 'elitest'? What exactly is 'elitest' about the tangible fun that comes from cultivating a very specific build of character you honed over double digit hours? What exactly is 'elitest' over liking Morrowind's progression from at the start of the game scrounging up enough gold to take the Silt Strider to being a magical lunatic that simply leaps into a city anywhere on the map 20 odd hours in?

Really? You need to use archaic, dice roll based systems to make a specific build viable? It's the only way to do it? Instead of, you know, designing a game with more modern technology without Morrowind's technical constraints?
Yes, that is literally the only way you could have it.

The dumbing down of mechanics to 'autohit' if you have workable brain an fingers does breakthe mechanical progression of the game. Like if I want to enjoy that unarmoured, hand-to-hand & restoration heavy character as quickly as possible I'm going to prioritize Speed, Willpower, and probably a mix of Agility and Intelligence ... not necessarily Endurance. So I'll probably be getting a hell of a lot less hit points per level than someone perpetually covered in medium or heavy armour. And unlike other stats Endurance has the same problem it has in Oblivion ... where future increases to it do not retroactively give HP/level up.

Which means if I'm going toi be in perpetual melee combat, or trying to get into combat as quickly as possible, I need to exploit that dodge and evasion mechanic ... because I may even have less total HP than a tricked out caster of similar level. By exploiting the fact that those autododge mechanics relate to you in the same way as the enemies, means that I don't necessarily need to worry too much about physical damage, however, if I get surrounded by a horde of enemies.

This fundamentally changes the game and how you can play it. It fundamentally opens up new character speccing options. It offers new opportunities to exploit and take advantage of, and creates unique opportunities to unconventionally 'tank' certain enemies beyond 'wear 'defendiest' armour and carry a shield' ...

When you actually spec out through enchantment and careful build cultivation that dream of the Super-Saiyin magical monk combat is actually faster and less of a slog than either Oblivion or Skyrim. Precisely because they treated block as a passive skill and because of the evasion mechanics in the game... and because you've carefully cultivated that character build, you're no longer just missing. You're hitting, and the enemy is missing you.

Because of how they handle magic, and the fact that even melee builds will experiment with it, means you have every tool necessary to create an incredibly unique avatar for your interaction with the world. One you have cultivated and have been given every possible means to make utterly realized within the mechanics of that world.

Which gives a wonderful sense of progression when at the start of the game it often felt reversed... but by mid-game, you're actually living up to the propecy of being the Nerevarine. You're not just some hapless prisoner and experiment of dealing with the corprus disease... you actually begin feeling like every bit the demigod people are beginning to say you are ... and your playstyle has radically changed from those early nights of hacky-slashy-shootyness that always felt like a mad dalliance with death every hard fight.

It's almost as if it's not so much a 'dated mechanic' as opposed to Bethesda actually thinking about contemporary RPGs like D&D 2E and 3.x and concepts like the 'AC tank' and 'Glass Cannon' builds in that tabletop RPG of the time. That idea of quadratic power growth ... where every level isn't just some perk point and a selection of one of three things to bump up slightly as the rest of the world scales with you ...

Oh no ... you're constructing maddeningly powerful personally tailored armour and weapons, constructing the perfect spells to implement with your build, and instantly paralyzing people with a punch.

And that's precisely why RPG players might like it. Because it is essentially an open world action game blended with RPG stylings. It's a new take on the genre. And that's why their 'elitest' critique of Oblivion and Skyrim ixnaying that to simply become an action game with RPG 'shades' rather than a complex spreadsheet of carefully constructed elements the player has built might be looked on disfavourably.

Also, yes ... it turns out old games have bad draw distance ... it's almost as if you can use mods and overhauls to radically increase it.

The thing is that Skyrim feels kind of broken. Even compared to Oblivion. For example, needing to equip spells? Well that utterly destroys the spellsword w/ shield type of build... and as much as I think nerfing the general excessive performance of just how important Endurance is to boost early on creating the situation where even casters would mass Conjuration burns and simply let enemies hint them until I they levelled enough points in Endurance, Intelligence and Willpower based skills to maximize each level up bonuses ... or ending up with grinding conjuration, alteration and spear in Morrowind to get the biggest possible power jump the next level. But then Skyrim takes a step backwards with how you actually cast spells.

So what Oblivion did, taking a step forward with its spellcasting, Skyrim then ixnays for odd reasons.

Which means further obsolence of actual experimentation once more...

I mean, Skyrim is fun ... but it certainly isn't smart in terms of how it has handled its 'RPG' mechanics ... and this is problematic when you consider it is supposed to be an RPG.

See, the thing is I love Soulsborne games ... but then again I love them because the action is front and center. Let's face it, even my beloved Morrowind, or any TES game, they have never handled action well. So it's always been my opinion that a TES game has to then do three things moderately right ... its open world, its narrative and its RPG mechanics.

The problem is, purely on those grounds, it seems to be stumbling ever more as time goes on. Morrowind has a verticality to every element ofits environment. The landscape, its people, its ideas of religion, even their diets and ideas of transport, are so far removed from conventional fantasy tropes that just bleeds an alien world you will learn like the back of your hand eventually.

At the start of the game, you're scrounging up gold to take the insect taxi... at the midgame, you're teleporting or just leaping into cities. You have floating islands you can only get to by levitating. You have the Telvanni who have mushroom mansions and have pretty much disposed of stairs because they're mages and can float through the air ... so why do they need stairs to get to their bedroom?

And all of these alien constructs trump horses and cheese wheels. Combine that with elabourate roleplaying mechanics that truly give you reasons to experiment, to explore fully, to construct your demigod in waiting, and you have a fantasy game that is something unlike anything that had come before or even since.

And yeah, it's kind of a shame that Skyrim is a problematic aspect of an Adorno-style symptomatic expression of the culture industry simplification for purely the sake of the easiest possible means of consumption. That's not to say Skyrim is bad ... I don't play a game for hundreds of hours if it were bad ... but pretending like there is nothing to gain from the 'old Bethesda' is also ignoring all its fundamental problems that can be tied to this idea of dumbing down the mechanical complexity of their games.

The thing is in the TES games you were told of this magical place of Cyrodiil ... the heart of the Empire. The primary seat of Tamriel and the beating heart of its cosmopolitanism ... with diverse native cultures within it, and how the different regions of Cyrodiil related to their world as if alien to those outside it but still within the same province ... Then Oblivion actually came out.

To say that its world and how people related to it was poor in comparison to the stark contrasts of Vvardenfell societies, and their alienesque ways, is an understatement. Combined with dumbing down the mechanics, you have to dumb down the entire world. No longer are there places you must levitate to. Nope every build of character must be able to get to everyplace they need to regardless of impediment at the time. You have to have that compass pointer at the bottom of your screen, because heaven forbid if you ever get lost and need to use landmarks to find your way someplace... Heaven forbid if the just so happen to miss a said landmark so we'll just dot your compass with stuffyou can't actually see but you know is somewhere around the place by, IDK, instinct I guess?

And it's kind of hard not to see that problematic relationship to character abilities, and the worldbuilding itself.

See, the funny thing is about Morrowind is dungeon crawling was actually the exception, not the rule, of what you actually did in the world. In fact the dungeons themselves were also used to metrically assess your character's actual abilities. With hidden nooks and crannies you could only get to with spells, and the capacity to be easily lost in them... the problem with Oblivion andsomething Skyrim inherited was the idea of shortcuts. Because every place needed to be accessible by every character regardless of capability ... you end up with these self looping areas that just so happen to always have a shortcut to the start. Just so happen to have a hidden entrance to the overworld. Just so happened tro have a piece of levelled loot by some levelled bad guy and levelled chest and without ever actually chancing the disappointment of the player.

And the problem with that is ... yeah, that's eminently enjoyable ... but only ever in way that happens when you stop trying to wonder what it would have been like if the game actually chanced your disappointment ... by making you get lost, and teased you with possible stuff you can't get to, or constantly left wondering whether you have actually properly explored a place or not and the simple idea that now you have to hike back to a settlement because you forgot to prepare as well as you should have for that low-level wandering somewhere.

In the back of my mind somewhere, I have memorized all the transportation options for a low level Morrowind character. Basically like a bus terminal route listing of Silt Striders and teleport services. And that's ... a pretty darn cool effect to have on a player.

And I'd be lying if I said on some ontological level that if a game can effect such a feeling akin to, say, bonfire locations of Dark Souls and similarly have me wanting to play it again... it's probably doing something right.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The Rogue Wolf said:
Yeah, thats where polish comes in. Might and Magic around the same time or earlier for instance, had enemies do dodge or block animations for whiffed hits, also being in first person and half-in real time (though you could and were probably well-advised to toggle on turn based combat for an serious encounter, to use a full party effectively)

Apr 5, 2008
Mods are unlikely to fix your issues with the game. They make a game you like better, not a game you don't like acceptable. Morrowind does come from a different era graphically, but it still has a fantastic and immersive aesthetic that will draw you in if you let it. There's no fast travel, you have to use silt striders. Cities exist in the worldspace, there are so many weapons and armours and classes to try. You can create your own spells. The world, the Houses, the dwemer influence, the raspy-voiced Dunmer, Morrowind is an incredible setting and the story of the Nerevarine is best TES story they've told (well, Nerevar's story was better, but we didn't get to play that :-\ ).

If you want fast travel, quest markers, simplified magic and weapons, scaling enemies and no stats, Skyrim exists. Skyrim can actually be made a lot better with mods. Not just graphically or adding huge amounts of content, but adding whole new mechanics like survival, new enemies, better AI, rebalancing combat, removing quest markers, etc.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
KingsGambit said:
Mods are unlikely to fix your issues with the game? [Morrowind] still has a fantastic and immersive aesthetic that will draw you in if you let it? Morrowind is an incredible setting and the story of the Nerevarine is best TES story they've told?
If you want fast travel, quest markers, simplified magic and weapons, scaling enemies and no stats, Skyrim exists.
^This. Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time, so I love that there are still people that not only enjoy it, but prefer it so many years and sequels later; it?s a testament to everything it did right. But if someone wants to attempt to appreciate Morrowind by making it not Morrowind, well that?s kind of a disingenuous? An insult? OP, that?s not a dig or attack upon you or your character (I certainly I don?t mean to sound ?elitist,?) just trying to contextualize some of the impassioned responses and opinions you?ve gotten. It?s like going to a fancy steakhouse, ordering the most expensive steak on the menu, then asking the chef to slather it in A1 sauce; he?s going to direct you to the nearest McDonald?s as politely as he can, but in his head, he?s beating you with the A1 bottle.

OP, you?re not likely to try this on my or anyone?s word in here given your multitude of attempts already, but I?d firmly suggest you give Morrowind another honest go without unnecessary bells and whistles that fundamentally change it and armed with your new appreciation for D&D elements. Put in the time to experience the vanilla game as intended, and you?ll find a lot of your complaints mitigated. You?re not crippling slow for very long, let alone forever, as simply MOVING increases your speed. Using ANY attributes increases it which makes for a more organic leveling experience; you?re not spending all your time in menus doling out individual points (potentially into the wrong stats) trying to hit soft caps; your character grows in line with how you play him/her. Draw distances can be a nuisance, but the map uncovers as you explore and lets you know where you?ve been and what you?ve seen, so draw distance doesn?t really affect gameplay if you can read and follow the direction your marker is pointing. Get a guide if you require more overt direction than Morrowind offers on its face in quests or to key locations, but I think you?ll find the lack of direction ?flaw? is actually a ?strength? in the form of an unparalleled exploration experience. You might be following a vague ?travel east? conversation thread from an NPC, but on the way, you might get diverted and find a Dwemer ruin or Daedric shrine filled with game-changing items which makes the game a constantly exciting adventure which, I?d argue, is RPG-ing at its finest.

If you want an ?on the rails? RPG experience where you just ping pong from quest marker to quest marker and leveled enemies and loot which make combat a chore and exploration moot respectively, Morrowind simply won?t be for you no matter how much make-up you dress it up in or changes you shoehorn into it to resolve niggling gripes. But if you?re truly intrigued that Morrowind might hold at least some value unlike that one described, and can look past the few antiquated and outdated features (none of which are game-breaking,) then I think you?ll find Morrowind is something really special.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
So I tried this recently with that massive graphic overhaul mod pack. I still couldn't get into it. The combat it self is boring/awful in my opinion from a base level. Something I don't even think mods could fix. Just my opinion though.