Would Psychics have any other uses apart from military?

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
I thought up this idea that psychics were discovered in the 50s by the Russians,causing an alternative history where psychics are accepted and used for many things.

The problem was that I had no idea what other use psychics would have.

What do you think would be a purpose for psychics apart from military uses?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Airplanes, cars, not necessarily for military use, but for basic travel.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
It would be a function of supply vs demand to determine what they got into outside of the military. No military in their right mind is going to let the open market have them first.

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
Telling people exactly what they want to order in a restaurant instead of giving them a menu.

*MINDREAD!*

"Oh so you would like to order drinks? And you will be having the duck...with a side of salad"

*customer*
"OMG YES HOW DID YOU KNOW?! MY LIFE HAS NEW MEANING!!!!"

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I'm sure you could use them for anything. Like Detectives or Spies. Yeah that way they just mind read the bad guy to see what he's thinking. And then they can get 'em.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Isn't that the plot of CnC:Red Alert 2? The military use anyhow.

Define psychic, is it see the future, read minds, or just everything? I would see things in the future, if it's possible to alter them I'd use them to my advantage and become stupidly powerful then rule the world.

That or pick up chicks.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Interrogators with the police, or something in the medical field (psychiatric branch). You know, jobs where acquiring secrets/information is vital.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Well, since none exist I couldn't really say. But in a fantasy world of gumdrops and lollypop teddy bears that speak in a jaunty English jargon I'd have to say they'd be useful to prevent crimes and to win lotteries.

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
D4zZ said:

Define psychic, is it see the future, read minds, or just everything? I would see things in the future, if it's possible to alter them I'd use them to my advantage and become stupidly powerful then rule the world.

That or pick up chicks.
Well,some just start out with a basic ability,like shielding or telepathy, and after a while a "Evolution" on the psychic gene blesses the psychic with another power at random.

The most powerful psychic was often nicknamed Omega,because he could alter reality at his will. Only problem is that he thought he was human,not a psychic,and all the power went to a subconscious level. Also,the town he wandered into was being invaded by Aliens,so he made the situation 100 times worse.

Aug 25, 2009
Searching for missing persons? Just as a guess.

Also, Private Investigation, telling you if someone's having an affair. Quite a few things.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
AkJay said:
... Eh? Psychics used for travel?

OT: Detectives could use them, but god help you if you have a psychic teacher and try and con your way out of a bad grade.

Gebi10000

Aug 14, 2009
If I were a psycic I'd try to get away from the military asap. mabye become an assasin or something

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
AkJay said:

OT: Detectives could use them, but god help you if you have a psychic teacher and try and con your way out of a bad grade.
oh! "Psychics" i thought OP was talking about Physics, like, science and shit.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Actually,basic mind-reading would be useful in all spheres of law enforcement,psychology,and if put in capitalistic society,in business consulting. Things like levitation would be invaluable in case of any emergency. And so on.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
AkJay said:
ZeroMachine said:
AkJay said:

oh! "Psychics" i thought OP was talking about Physics, like, science and shit.
That's what I read at first too haha. I'm sure we aren't the only ones, either.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Fniff said:
D4zZ said:

That or pick up chicks.
Well,some just start out with a basic ability,like shielding or telepathy, and after a while a "Evolution" on the psychic gene blesses the psychic with another power at random.

The most powerful psychic was often nicknamed Omega,because he could alter reality at his will. Only problem is that he thought he was human,not a psychic,and all the power went to a subconscious level. Also,the town he wandered into was being invaded by Aliens,so he made the situation 100 times worse.
Do you believe people like this exist or are you telling me about lore? You sound quite sincere.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Spies are the first obvious choice, seeing as if one happened to get close up to a general, officer, etc., they could read their thoughts. Sorry that it is military use, though.

Oh, maybe people in law enforcement! They can see future crimes, and prevent them!

Other than that, I don't have anything.

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
D4zZ said:
Fniff said:
D4zZ said:

That or pick up chicks.

Do you believe people like this exist or are you telling me about lore? You sound quite sincere.
Na,it;'s just a book I'm trying to write.

It's a pretty good universe,though.

[HEADING=1]IT HAS COMMUNIST PSYCHIC DEATH TANKS.[/HEADING]

DarkLordofDevon

May 11, 2008
I don't like the idea of psychics, its an over used device used ALOT in some form or another in sci fi. SW - Jedi, ST - Telepaths/Empaths, B5 - Telepaths... the list goes on and on.

However, depending on what 'limits' you put on their powers they can be used for anything. Weapons, assisting in construction, vehicle guidance, shields, mind reading for business deals.

Don't forget they would make alot of technology obsolete, possibly like the mobile phone. If you can communicate with your mind over a distance you don't a phone.