Would the Portal gun work in MP shooters?

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Jordi said:
I just beat Portal again and I was thinking about what it would be like if you could use the Portal gun in multiplayer shooter games. It seems to me like it would be a pretty cool extra mechanic, but there might also be some problems. For instance, it might be virtually impossible to catch the last player of the opposing team if he can just teleport everywhere virtually instantly. And camping might become really easy, because once people know where you are, you can easily get the hell out of there.

So what do you think? Would it be nice to have the Portal gun in other shooters (or a deathmatch multiplayer component in Portal with other guns as well)? What rules/mechanics would be needed to make it work? What could make it even more awesome?

Discuss!
Have you ever played Jedi Knight Jedi Academy multiplayer? There's your example of portal gun in a MP setting.

It works, but it pisses a lot of people off and the Admins usually ban it.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I believe Valve was quoted as saying after release of Portal 1 that they tried multiplayer and "it wasn't as fun as you might think"

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
baddude1337 said:
It would probably just make it a bit ridiculous. The maps would have to be VERY well designed otherwise there will be an innumerable amount of exploits and the like.
maybe thats the point. what if it was a game where the meta game is exploits?

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
What if instead of capture the flag, each team has one member with the portal gun that needs to stay alive? Could be an interesting chase :p

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Maybe if it was a melee only game. Like a bunch of blokes running around with the Demoman's Eyelander and a portal gun.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Kakashi on crack said:
Jordi said:
I just beat Portal again and I was thinking about what it would be like if you could use the Portal gun in multiplayer shooter games. It seems to me like it would be a pretty cool extra mechanic, but there might also be some problems. For instance, it might be virtually impossible to catch the last player of the opposing team if he can just teleport everywhere virtually instantly. And camping might become really easy, because once people know where you are, you can easily get the hell out of there.

So what do you think? Would it be nice to have the Portal gun in other shooters (or a deathmatch multiplayer component in Portal with other guns as well)? What rules/mechanics would be needed to make it work? What could make it even more awesome?

Discuss!
Have you ever played Jedi Knight Jedi Academy multiplayer? There's your example of portal gun in a MP setting.

It works, but it pisses a lot of people off and the Admins usually ban it.
Wait I don't remember a portal gun in Jedi Academy.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Blurg, guns and portal guns don't mix, it would be lame to sneak around a corner only to be shot in the head because some camping dickhead's rifle is sticking out of a portal.

Better make it thus:

Portal guns and melee. Everyone runs around like speedbunnies on meth, there are some wicked chases where people try to get through their own portals and close them before the enemy follows them through. Kills would be random, skills would be all over the place as it would only take one other guy to mess up your kill by dropping a portal at your feet and laughs would be had all-round.

You prolly wouldn't play it for too long though, the burnout rate would be immense.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Palademon said:
Capture the flag would be too easy
They could do like Unreal and just make the flag auto-drop on teleport. So while you can just port their, you'll still need to hoof it back.
That sounds like a good idea. I think it would be a fun way to deal with campers or lure front-runners into traps. You could do some serious trick-shot sniping too; if you place portals near unsuspecting targets or at choke points and have the entry portal somewhere close to you or within easy shooting range.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Palademon said:
Capture the flag would be too easy, and the only way to kill someone would be to make them wear a very flat white tile like object around their neck.
If Unreal Tournament is any indication, it could work really well.

Just have to make it impossible to bring the flag through a Portal. Then it just helps get people, much the same way the translocater worked in UT and grapplers work in the rest.