Would you buy a Knights of the Old Republic Reboot?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
SlumlordThanatos said:
G00N3R7883 said:
No but I would buy KOTOR 3. After checking the reviews and forum comments to make sure it isn't a buggy unfinished mess like KOTOR 2.
A buggy, unfinished mess it was, but I still think KotOR 2 was the superior game, and is one of the best examples of video game storytelling I've ever experienced.

Honestly, all they would have to do is skip ahead a few thousand years and give us KotOR 3.
Your idea of one of the best examples of storytelling in gaming is a game where the whole story falls apart 3/4 of the way through? After that point all the character start acting irrationally, events come and go without explanation or purpose, and the mission that you were pursuing for the entirety of the game is made pointless and irrelevant. You can pretty much see the money run out and everybody scrabble to slap what they had together into something resembling an ending. And that's your idea of one of the best examples of video game storytelling? Yeah, ok.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
Fulbert said:
I dunno. KOTOR was the one Bioware game I actually finished, and the one that got me sort of interested in the Star Wars franchise, so there's some nostalgic value in the reboot for me, but the Origin and the mandatory mediocre localization have put me off their games before. Plus, they will be sure to put some crazy HDD-devouring DRM scheme, so no, I think I'll pass.
Did you play Jade Empire? It's basically KOTOR in a fantasy kung-fu setting with smoother combat and shinier graphics. It has some hiccups, mostly related to how some enemies require a specific fighting style to kill (GOLEMS!!!) But it is, overall, a similar experience with its own unique bits.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I'd like a remastered Kotor 1 and 2, with Kotor 2 actually being complete and not half a game that you can't fully complete.

Another game in the KOTOR universe after that would be great, would love to see HK and T3 again in a non MMO game.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think the original KOTOR is one of the best games ever. I would absolutely buy into a new episode set in another time period.

...If it were handled by someone other than EA. Some lines I can't cross, even when it hurts.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
It's been a while since KotOR 1, wow. Yea, would definitely play an HD remake. Just not so keen on giving my money to EA these days is all. Despite the technical problems of KotOR 2, I don't remember my experience being all that bad. In fact I think I enjoyed the hell out of it, and would play it twice in a heartbeat. But it hasn't aged so well.

A reboot, nah, just not really into the whole EA Bioware thing anymore.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
In theory, I wouldn't mind a 'remastered' sort of KoToR, with more content, updated graphics, etc. I can think of many ways in which the game could be expanded and improved...

However, 'The Old Republic' repulses me on just about every level....turning it into an MMO, microtransactions, the weird art-style shift, how they treated the main character's from the past two games...(giving them a canon gender and alignment, killing one off, etc)

I couldn't trust EA/Bioware any less with the franchise, honestly.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
While the Revan novel that butchered canon is no longer canon thanks to the reboot, I'd prefer remasterings of the original games.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Kotor 1 and 2 were great rpgs, I'd love to see a "reboot", sure. If by reboot we mean a star wars rpg that is set in another time and has little to no relevance to kotor1/2.

endtherapture said:
Benpasko said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
A buggy, unfinished mess it was, but I still think KotOR 2 was the superior game, and is one of the best examples of video game storytelling I've ever experienced.
That's every Obsidian game. Everything they make is gold, but riddled with bugs and cut content.

If there was to be a Kotor 3, it would need to be Obsidian and not Bioware. And instead of a jedi rpg, how about an Alpha Protocol-style game about being a smuggler? I can't think of any stealth games in the Star Wars setting.
Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian's crowning achievement, a game made without publisher interference, released on their own timescale and it is not riddled with bugs or cut content.
Eh....I feel I have to comment here :/
PoE wasn't buggy nor had cut content but truth be told I also think it's the WORST rpg obsidian has ever made. Crowning achievement my generous white butt. The game mechanics were poor (between this and Wasteland 2 I'm noticing a trend of devs making their homebrew rpg systems and failing hard with it), the roleplaying was SHOCKINGLY poor for an obsidian game as well as the choice and consequence aspect, the encounter design is the poorest I've encountered in any CRPG, the story is average at best despite some good ideas here and there..and I'll just link what I feel is a damn accurate review of the game and it's faults really to avoid just ranting on: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9867

Ultimately PoE is just average, that's the depressing thing. Obsidian had carte blanche and this was their magnus opus? Goddamnit.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I would love to play a KOTOR again. Maybe they can apply the formula again but to an official new-canon tale.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Maybe

They would have to fix the pacing of the game. Kotor was a masterpiece the first time I played it. Replaying that game even 5 years a go was a horrible slog of an experience. There's so much tedium in walking through enormous environments doing nothing of interest.

If the reboot tightens the pacing then I'd be on board.
By which I mean I'd buy the game on sale a several months after release.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Silentpony said:
Maybe? I'd rather just see an update to KOTOR. Graphics, maybe a new weapon or something? Also fix the endless crashing bugs
Pretty much this. My biggest complaint about KOTOR is that it is - and always has been - a buggy mess that would crash at the drop of a hat. Patch it up, maybe an HD upgrade just so it looks good for the advertisements, and that's about it.

I wouldn't mind a new Star Wars RPG, but I'd rather it have a different system than the old d20 derived one. Maybe make a Dark Times game using something based off the new Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPG.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Probably not no. I enjoyed the game, but I didn't have an orgasmic affection for it like other people seem to.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Only if Obsidian got the IP and was given a reasonable development time.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Yes, yes, and more yes.

I'm not so cynical as so many other gamers and I won't instantly assume it's crap because who may be making it. Sure, if it was within the grasp of EA, I would prefer another studio to be the one making it but that's not the world we live in.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Frankster said:
Kotor 1 and 2 were great rpgs, I'd love to see a "reboot", sure. If by reboot we mean a star wars rpg that is set in another time and has little to no relevance to kotor1/2.

endtherapture said:
Benpasko said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
That's every Obsidian game. Everything they make is gold, but riddled with bugs and cut content.

If there was to be a Kotor 3, it would need to be Obsidian and not Bioware. And instead of a jedi rpg, how about an Alpha Protocol-style game about being a smuggler? I can't think of any stealth games in the Star Wars setting.
Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian's crowning achievement, a game made without publisher interference, released on their own timescale and it is not riddled with bugs or cut content.
Eh....I feel I have to comment here :/
PoE wasn't buggy nor had cut content but truth be told I also think it's the WORST rpg obsidian has ever made. Crowning achievement my generous white butt. The game mechanics were poor (between this and Wasteland 2 I'm noticing a trend of devs making their homebrew rpg systems and failing hard with it), the roleplaying was SHOCKINGLY poor for an obsidian game as well as the choice and consequence aspect, the encounter design is the poorest I've encountered in any CRPG, the story is average at best despite some good ideas here and there..and I'll just link what I feel is a damn accurate review of the game and it's faults really to avoid just ranting on: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9867

Ultimately PoE is just average, that's the depressing thing. Obsidian had carte blanche and this was their magnus opus? Goddamnit.
and I think it's their best game since KOTOR2. Great lore, great world, great quests, great combat, great encounters, great characters. Quests could be better, the world could be a bit more dense, but it is a top top game in my opinion.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
endtherapture said:
Great lore+world is where I'd be willing to meet you half way on this particular topic as I'd agree those are amongst the game's strengths (along with graphics, PoE is a gorgeous minx, easily best looking CRPG around).
Disagree with the rest but then that's the good thing about people having different tastes I guess, everyone's is different, heck my overall favorite obsidian game is Alpha Protocol tbh, warts and all.
All righties then, topic to be continued should we ever wound up in a PoE discussion thread (dunno if there was one on the escapist yet)!

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Fappy said:
snekadid said:
Part of me says yes, but a majority of me says no, only because bioware under EA is garbage and they would just ruin it.
I share this guy's opinion for the most part, with a smidge more optimism. I'd actually prefer HD remakes of Kotor 1 and 2, possibly with some restoration work done for Kotor 2 to bring it is line with Obsidian's original vision.
Seconded. KOTOR II had such potential. A remastered KOTOR with a remastered and restored KOTOR II would be preferable to me. The games are two-gens old at this point; they could use a facelift, hopefully with more character customization options added.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
I don't really see the point of a reboot or HD remake.

Reboot: The story of KOTOR I and II relies heavily on big reveals, remaking it is kind of pointless unless you have an audience that doesn't remember the reveal. Ahh you say do something different. But then it isn't really KOTOR, it's just a star wars RPG.

HD remake: Having replayed it recently I still think it holds up. It's as good/bad as it always was.