Would You Buy Duke Nukem Forever if...

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
...I've been thinking about what would make Duke Nukem Forever a better game. The biggest flaw of course, is that it was built over 14 years and projects were ditched and remade and dumped as technology evolved, resulting a Frankenstein's monster, cobbled-together final product.

But what if, instead of taking Gearbox's efforts and saying HERE YA GO IT'S FINISHED

...they admitted. "Look, this game is unfinished. It will never be what we originally envisioned it to be." ...and they threw out a 3-disc compilation featuring every beta version of the game through to the 3D Realms-initiated project that was released. Every drop of blood, every tear on display. Every lost level, every scrapped concept and weapon... all in one collection. A swan song to a game that was killed and resuscitated uncountable times. Gaming history in a collector's package; sold for $50 and evidence that 3D Realms was working on a truly mammoth game.

...admittedly, this makes it less of a game, more of a museum to its own development history. But I really think it would sell like hotcakes, get significant positive gaming press, and really cement a positive future for the franchise as it wipes its slate clean.

So... what do you think? Would you buy this hypothetical Duke Nukem Forever release?

suxturdman

Jun 19, 2011
Nope! But I haven't played the previous games. I think somewhere along the way they should have nuked their own project and started over from scratch.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
You're assuming that 3-D realms was working on a 'mammoth' of a game instead of just either having technical difficulties, slacking off, lacking investors, or some combination of the three. So no, I wouldn't buy that. Mainly because I'm guessing a lot of people would be in awe of how little they got done in 14 years rather then how much they got done but was just 'cut' for whatever reason.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
I doubt that could even get me to buy the game. I guess they could always dump them into a landfill and pour concrete over the copies. That may get me to seek a copy out. Yes I do have a copy of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the 2600. :p

suxturdman said:
Nope! But I haven't played the previous games. I think somewhere along the way they should have nuked their own project and started over from scratch.
Nuking their own project and starting over repeatedly is what got them into this gigantic mess with the game. That and some absolutely atrocious design decisions.

suxturdman

Jun 19, 2011
Strixvaliano said:
I doubt that could even get me to buy the game. I guess they could always dump them into a landfill and pour concrete over the copies. That may get me to seek a copy out. Yes I do have a copy of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the 2600. :p

suxturdman said:
Nuking their own project and starting over repeatedly is what got them into this gigantic mess with the game. That and some absolutely atrocious design decisions.
Nope! Looking at early videos from back i the days they had the same game mechanics. What made them constantly delayed was the fact that they always tried to keep the graphics up to date and in the end that kinda failed too.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Did you ever play space quest 4? It was a hilarious game in which the hero travels through time to space quest 1 and 2-- those were the old text driven blocky sierra games of yore-- open box "there is no box" open mail box "i don't know how to open mail" open mailbox "you open the mailbox" and visit those worlds, in their original graphics, in your new, advanced form.

I think THAT would have made a better nukem game. Nukem played it straight. The alien invasion should have opened a dimensional portal that sent him to other... unfinished... environments.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Probably not.

I probably would, however, buy a remake of Duke 3D. Keep all the gameplay elements, update the graphics and sound, and that'd be it. I'd buy that.

If you own Doom 3, go find the "Classic Doom 3" mod, which shows just how well this can work. Be warned: it's harder than the original Doom. ;)

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
I'd actually probably get it, just out of plain curiosity. I'm not planning on working with computer programming in any way in the future, but it'd be very interesting for me.