Would you correct someone who...

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Depends on how frequently I meet the person. People sometimes call me Mr.--- because they don't want to get my first name wrong so I don't usually get to correct anyone. But anyone who takes a shot mostly gets it correct.

Sidestory: I remember when I was in college, the TA (for the second time) asked me to call attendance while he was writing stuff on the board.

After calling a certain individual's name...

twatface: Hey, you said my name wrong AGAIN. (emphasis added by him, not me)
me (annoyed): Why should I care? [footnote]This was an honest question. We're only in the same room once a week and I'm never going to see him again after this class ends. I certainly could have phrased the question better but the fact that he thinks I should feel bad about it instead of correcting me didn't help. [/footnote]
twatface: You should care, or I'm going to kick your ass.
me (still annoyed): You're fucking absent.
twatface: ....

The TA learned never to leave attendance to me after that. He still likes me more than him though.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I apparently have a forgettable name, because people who just met me have a ridiculous habit of calling me anything but my name despite being introduced. I've stopped caring though because its happened so much, if I cared I'd have lost my shit long long ago.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Barbas said:
Yes, but gently. I'd say "SHHHHH", place one index finger gently against their lips and whisper softly, "No, it is...Barbas."

And maintain deep eye contact.
I do this except for the last bit. I don't have any eyes.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
No.
I have a very Norwegain name (Terje), and non-norwegian speakers (except Danish and Swedish) speakers can not pronounce it.
Try to pronounce it, and I can guarantee you get it wrong

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I would, except I can't think of any time when anyone has ever got my name wrong. I do have a very common English name which doesn't sound like anything else, so I suppose it's easy to remember. My surname is much more uncommon and is occasionally mispronounced despite being two English words stuck together, I do correct mispronouncation if I get the chance.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I would chloroform them and tattoo my name backwards on their forehead so that they would be reminded every time they look in the mirror.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Considering that my name is Morgan, and quite a few people mistake that and say other similar names... I don't correct them by repeating my name I ask them to use my nickname, which is "Princess". Always works and it makes me all blush prone and giggly. So it's a win/win.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I usually only correct someone once, maybe twice if I'm feeling generous.

After that, if they continue to foul up my name, I just ignore them.

I'm not being rude. They're clearly talking to someone else. Why else would they be using someone else's name?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Headsprouter said:
Barbas said:
Yes, but gently. I'd say "SHHHHH", place one index finger gently against their lips and whisper softly, "No, it is...Barbas."

And maintain deep eye contact.
I do this except for the last bit. I don't have any eyes.
Blindness is tragic. Partial blindness, or the complete lack of eyes, however, is hilarious. Bumping into things is great when you're not the person doing it.

JoJo said:
I would, except I can't think of any time when anyone has ever got my name wrong. I do have a very common English name which doesn't sound like anything else, so I suppose it's easy to remember. My surname is much more uncommon and is occasionally mispronounced despite being two English words stuck together, I do correct mispronouncation if I get the chance.
It's surprising how uncommon it is to hear "Ojboj Krivbeknih" incorrectly pronounced. Almost as if it was programmed into the human consciousness...hmmm.

OT: I might also poke them in the forehead. They don't like that.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
[Kira Must Die said:
]I can't say I've experienced that verbally, but spelling-wise I got that quite a bit. My name is spelled Dayne, and there would be times where people would put down Dane, and I'd correct them for it.
It is the same for me. Niklas vs Nicklas.

I once had a very important entrance pass to a refinery with my name misspelled on it. When they made a control check with my ID I had to explain to them that my boss (who is also my uncle) REFUSES to accept that my name is spelled with only a k and not ck.

Verbally however, it is usually that people mistake my last name for a simillar more common one. I remember in highschool when teachers would roll call and instinctively call out the more common version even though they just read my actual last name on the paper.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Evonisia said:
I only really have issue with spelling. My name is Shaun, not Shawn or, God forbid, Sean. On more than one occasion I've been called John though, which just prompts a look of confusion as a retort rather than attempting to correct the person.
My brother's name is Sean. It's supposed to be Sean. (with an accent above the a but apparently the Escapist isn't down with that noise) but our parents forgot the fada. There's meant to be a fada. Otherwise it's pronounced 'seen.'

I get all kinds of shit. Connor, Conner, Coner, Konna, Colin, Callum, Colm, and, uh, Michael on one occasion.

It's just Conor. One N. Fuck's sake.