Would you go to the police in this situation?

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
No. If I couldn't fight back or decided not to I would consider it too minor an incident. If it escalated into a fight I would consider it none of their business.

Evil Smurf said:
Absolutely! That said I trust the police to do their job.
I don't. I also consider it very rude for them to interfere in an honest brawl between folk.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Flames66 said:
No. If I couldn't fight back or decided not to I would consider it too minor an incident. If it escalated into a fight I would consider it none of their business.

Evil Smurf said:
Absolutely! That said I trust the police to do their job.
I don't. I also consider it very rude for them to interfere in an honest brawl between folk.
Then again, I live in a country that's not a police state. Go Australia!

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Nope. I wouldn't fight them or call the police.

Partly because there is no way to prove the charge.

And mostly because it's a great story to tell at parties.

"So I was walking down the street and some random dude slapped me..."

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Jadak said:
No. Not strictly because the action doesn't deserve some sort of legal response, which is debatable, but mostly just because I don't feel filing a report would accomplish anything. Maybe if I knew exactly who it was, but otherwise it would feel like I'm just making the experience worse for myself by wasting my time.
Unprovoked assault doesn't deserve a response? I know this was a slap but people are killed/badly injured frequently from a single punch. If this guy is doing this multiple times you need all the separate police reports to actually show its happening.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
If you report it to the police, and this is just an isolated incident without physical proof (like a video recording or eye witnesses or something) that you can bring when reporting, I have a hard time seeing they would actually try to bring this guy to justice.

However, if it's a serial slapper, every time someone reports him the police get closer to both catching him and giving a shit about it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I would likely report it but not press a charge, ont he grounds that such things could escalate, even if it's just a slap to me what if him and his dickhead friends are high and playing some stupid game of escalation? Never know.

That said you barred the logical response I would have of beating the crap out of him.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Honestly, no. It wouldn't be something that you could do much about if you don't know the person and likely won't see them again. It would also be hard to prove without witnesses and would end up being a police report that goes nowhere and does nothing. If the person were to continue to do this, then it would definitely be a matter that police involvement would be beneficial.
I know its assault and battery, but the likelihood of it being dealt with is slim to none without more evidence/witnesses.
Most you could do was file a report in hopes that if it happens again the police have a record of the person assaulting and battering someone.

Lawbringer

Oct 7, 2009
Jamieson 90 said:
If you happen to be a Muslim and a white person slaps you then our institutionally racist police force is hardly going to care. The same if you're black.
No, no, no. Absolutely no. I have a huge amount of experience with various police forces (Don't worry, not as a baddie!) and I can tell you this is dead, dead wrong! If anything, the Police are statistically FAR more likely to let something go if a white person is the victim than an ethnic minority. In fact, if an ethnic minority is the victim, Police forces will often pursue it even if the victim does not want them to, and the punishment will also be more severe.

Perhaps you are speaking from some experiences you've had - and I'm sure there are racist Police Officers - but it is insulting to claim our Police are institutionally racist. Please do not spread such generalisations around as though it is fact. Don't tarnish the name of the vast majority who do not care about your colour, gender or age.

PS - I am referring to the UK here. I can't comment on other countries!

OT:

Yes, I'd probably report it to the Police. I've no doubt my complaint will go nowhere as I can't prove it happened. Nonetheless, if there is some idiot doing it every night and the Police know about it, Mr Slapface may just find that the next person he hits is an undercover officer waiting for him. Oops!

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
Coming from someone who has friends in the police department, they will listen to your story and never think about it again due to the fact of how random the encounter would be. Without filing a report, they can't really do anything except listen to you and tell you they will keep an eye out for it happening again. If you file a report, they will ask you all types of questions about what the other person looked like, the exact area it happened, and the direction they were heading as well as limitless other questions to narrow down the suspect. After that, they will usually dispatch a few officers to look for the individual matching your description which may or may not have a very negative impact on someone who looks similar to the person who hit you. On top of it all, people generally don't pay attention to specific features of people passing by, so the chances of getting a good look at the person who did this is slim at best.

Bottom line, the best course of action is to hit them back. People who do this as a prank or for fun expect people to be in such shock they don't know how to retaliate. Not to mention, people who do this are normally expecting someone to lash out and by continually walking past you like nothing happened, they already have the advantage of being able to start sprinting away should you try to follow them.

So, if this happened to me and for some reason I wasn't able to fight back, I would definitely call the cops while following the person to make sure they were arrested for assault. Then again, I have my conceal and carry license, so people aren't normally willing to attack someone who is carrying a loaded gun in plain sight.

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
Jamieson 90 said:
No I wouldn't. For one I don't think I'd be believed or that the police would care enough. Being a man, they're likely to just tell me to stop whining and to stop wasting their time and I wouldn't want to waste their time either.

I think this is something that is heavily reliant on your age, sex, race and religion:

If you're a kid and an adult slaps you in the face then the police will take that much more seriously.

If you're a woman and a man slaps you in the face then the police will be all over that guy in no time. Switch them around though and the police are likely to care, they'll probably have a good laugh about it at the bloke's expense

If you happen to be a Muslim and a white person slaps you then our institutionally racist police force is hardly going to care. The same if you're black.
You're the type who loves to make wild assumptions about police based off one-sided hot-top journalism, who is too close-minded to believe anything to the contrary, and too weak-minded to ever find out for yourself. It would behoove you to stop believe this whole "cops only love white people" bullshit and maybe go talk to an officer one day. They are people just like everyone else who are just trying to support their families and keep their communities crime-free.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Stg said:
Jamieson 90 said:
No I wouldn't. For one I don't think I'd be believed or that the police would care enough. Being a man, they're likely to just tell me to stop whining and to stop wasting their time and I wouldn't want to waste their time either.

I think this is something that is heavily reliant on your age, sex, race and religion:

If you're a kid and an adult slaps you in the face then the police will take that much more seriously.

If you're a woman and a man slaps you in the face then the police will be all over that guy in no time. Switch them around though and the police are likely to care, they'll probably have a good laugh about it at the bloke's expense

You're the type who loves to make wild assumptions about police based off one-sided hot-top journalism, who is too close-minded to believe anything to the contrary, and too weak-minded to ever find out for yourself. It would behoove you to stop believe this whole "cops only love white people" bullshit and maybe go talk to an officer one day. They are people just like everyone else who are just trying to support their families and keep their communities crime-free.
Yet you're making generalisations about me despite the fact you know nothing about me. My original statement was based on my real life experience with my local police force, not what some journalist tells me to think.

It's evident you've never dealt with the Manchester Police.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Yes, if only to give a profile description in case the perpetrator does it again to another random person.