Would you help me with my research?

Viking67

May 24, 2011
Whispering Cynic said:
Finished with $417, no debt, and a tooth ache. Seriously, you don't get basic dental emergencies covered with insurance in US? That's just idiotic.
I do, and my insurance is way cheaper than $250 a month or whatever it was in the game. Can't speak for other jobs though.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Viking67 said:
Whispering Cynic said:
Finished with $417, no debt, and a tooth ache. Seriously, you don't get basic dental emergencies covered with insurance in US? That's just idiotic.
I do, and my insurance is way cheaper than $250 a month or whatever it was in the game. Can't speak for other jobs though.
Hmm, I see. So it depends on the plan you get with your job... in my country you have to pay for health insurance and in turn you get free medical care (such as it is). That means they'll patch you up, but anything above and beyond is paid for.

Viking67

May 24, 2011
Whispering Cynic said:
Viking67 said:
Whispering Cynic said:
Hmm, I see. So it depends on the plan you get with your job... in my country you have to pay for health insurance and in turn you get free medical care (such as it is). That means they'll patch you up, but anything above and beyond is paid for.
That sounds sensible. With the passage of Obamacare, they're starting to standardize what is and isn't covered through health insurance plans, and I'm not completely up-to-date in that respect. I get my insurance through my part-time job in the reserve armed forces, so it's very cheap (just under $70 a month for health, dental, and vision) and has decent coverage, so I haven't looked into what other plans are offering.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
ClaudeDante said:
Hello everyone. I'm here to ask a favor of all of you, if you have the time. You see, I'm a student in Game Design and I have a class named "Serious Game" where we analyse different games within the genre. This time, our homework consists on doing research on the flash game "Spent" which can be found here: http://playspent.org/

What my team and I will like to ask of you is to play the game and answer a number of questions concerning your feelings and experience with the game. The game is fairly short and can be completed in 5 minutes. The questionnaire could take up to 10 minutes depending on your answers.

As for the Gameplay, it consists of trying to make it to the end of the month with only a 1000 dollars left, no job, no house and no savings. Along the way, you will make choices that will impact your chances of surviving until the end of the month. You're also a single parent which means you have to take care of your son too.

If you would like to answer the questions, we would be extremely grateful. The questionnaire can be found here:

http://questionnaireforspent.speedsurvey.com

Thank you for your time! :)
I finished the game and survey, I felt like I was playing "Sim Me" with a kid tacked on... heh, I been living off of pretty well nothing for the last... 3 months, eating rice, and sometimes a can of spaghetti-Os cuz that way I can feed myself enough to not die on like $1-$2 a day... Just got a job part time at a gas station though, so hopefully that helps turn it around a bit.

Hope it helps with the research.

ClaudeDante

Sep 3, 2010
We hardly believe it... 120 people completed the survey. We're just blown away by the incredible response we've seen. Each and everyone of your surveys will help us with our research, so thank you very, very much for answering. You guys rock, seriously! :)

As a side note, we've noted that we've received some really diverse opinions. Case in point: we actually have a survey which pointed a very interesting fact, and that is the situation of our "avatar". In his opinion, the character in question deserves all that's happening to him. We'd like to disagree.

While it's true that being in a situation like this seems to imply that horrible decisions were involved, we think this is not entirely correct.

Many factors allow this kind of situations within society, and some of them are completely independent of our choices. This is what we call injustice. Having little to no money doesn't necessarily mean that you are the one to blame. Our governments are imperfect, and no one knows when some tragedy might befall upon the country or ourselves. Yes, this game illustrates the different scenarios which may occur, and some of them are purely the fault of the avatar. But not all of them, we can't just say that people who are currently living like this deserve it and it's entirely their fault. That's a generalization, and they are almost always wrong. We musn't ignore the factors that escape our influence.

Keep in mind that this is just our opinion, but we felt that we should address this one way or the other.

ClaudeDante

Sep 3, 2010
Hello everyone! Once again, I would like to thank you all who participated in this research. The survey is now closed, and we got 124 answers in total! This is much more than we hoped for :)

Now, it's our turn to complete our report paper from all your answers, which is going to take us a while. Thank you everybody for your support! :D