Would you join an off-world colonization effort?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Five years ago, I would have been all over this. Now, I'm comfortable in my little corner of the middle of nowhere... reaping the benefits of my great-grandfather's government-sanctioned pioneering.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Only if I get to name the planet.

Because if I get there, I'm naming that sucker Reach.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
Number one question to ask: How long would the travel time be?

1 Year? Sure.

5? 10? years? No.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Depends. What's the planet like? If it's like Earth, yes. If it's a barely habitable resource-less wasteland, then no.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Fuck yes. My ancestor William Field made a fortune in cattle because he was one of the first butchers in Tasmania(That little island state in Australia). The opportunity for wealth making when your a pioneer is huuuge!

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
Only if I get a personal frigate and armory. And only if the world isn't filled with Always Chaotic Evil mooks or whatever. Maybe a few pests to deal with is fine.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
My life needs a change. Sign me up with a gun and a laser shovel. I'm a slim nerd who hates the outdoors, but if its outdoors in space then YEEEEHHAAAWWWWW SIGN ME UP PARTNER.

Just make spaceships with the same UI as EVE online and BAM there you go, 40 thousand able bodied and diligent workers, ready to do anything for the right price.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
No. If I was older and my career prospects looked terrible I would consider but I want to finish school and do something with my life before going on a fresh new start.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I probably wouldn't be the first. I'd wait until it at least seems safe and we definitely have the tech to make living comfortable.

But I'd probably be a second generation colonist.

Doogan

Apr 2, 2012
Hell I've been waiting for the litle green men to take me off of this rock for years!

So yeah I'm on the ship and waiting for lift off baby!!!

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
i'll bring some medical books to continue studying, and not even a handfull of people. and of course: a brown coat, for the war to come >:)

but why is there no artificial gravity? just make that hunk of junk spin like crazy, there you go ^^

ok, no idea how the coriolis force will influence us, and looking out of the window (if there's something to see) will probably get you quite dizzy, and the ship would probably need to be rather big, but when you put that aside... shiny!

ah damn it, i'll probably miss this mess of a planet and the people on it way too much

wait: will there be cryostasis or something? go to sleep, wake up, and get your own continent free of charge!

nope. i feel homesick already >.<

May 17, 2010
Depnds what ther planet and pay is like. If better then Earth of course I'll go. If worse then no.

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
Well... seeing how the most likely target for collonization would be Mars then yes, deffenetly. No question about it.

But, if were talking other locations it would likely be someplace like venus, mercury or titan (a moon of saturn) in which case it would be intreaguing but the risks of living there... no, I think Id prefer good old earth over oceans of acid, toxic athmospheres, temperatures that either freeze you in seconds or boil alive and constant hurricanes.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
To be perfectly honest i'd just stay behind. Too much of a coward to risk my life on a journey of chance through space.

No, how about you guys who want to go get to go and then you just throw back a signal if the mountains are gold, the clouds are cotton candy or the water has a hint of lime? If we don't hear anything we'll cross that planet off our star map and assume the local predators got to you first.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
Am I correct to assume that all the womens coming will be in top physical condition? Alrighty sounds great. Just lemme bring a computer and enough solar panels to run it and I'll be happy :p

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
No artificial gravity on the ship? LAME AND ALSO BULLSHIT. The trip will take YEARS? Fuck that, come back with some REAL space travel technology, preferably something that uses wormholes or something cool and futurey like that.

Make space travel be like Star Wars or GTFO.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
sure my name would go down in history of one of the founding fathers of humantitys of world homes

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
I would stay most likely. Just because if everyone left, stuff here would be cheap! Also...no basketball? Piss off.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
No. I am unskilled, inexperienced, and anti-social to a high degree. I would be a terrible choice for an off-world colony, and I know it. I wouldn't put myself through that kind of hell.