Would You Like A Sci-fi Element in Far Cry 5?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Smithnikov said:
Saelune said:
No. That would be an excuse.

You want it in a new game? Sure, but Far Cry 5 is clearly calling out the nutjobs of America and I hope Ubisoft maintains that ballsyness.
Have you SEEN the whining going on?! The same people who sneer at "special snowflakes"....
I have, the Steam forum for the game is full of it. Honestly, I am glad Ubisoft is doing this just to show how hypocritical so many people are.

So many people are going "How dare they mistreat religion like that? It should be about killing Muslims instead"

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I definitely feel that modern day Montana with added cultists and no other weirdness is a great setting in its own right. However, that's no reason not to do a Bigfoot-from-outer-space conspiracy in a later freestanding Blood Dragon-style add-on!

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I would rather a supernatural element, it turns out at the end the doomsday cult was right, the apocalypse happens and the final mission is like the final mission of Halo Reach where you just fight waves of enemies until you die

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
No.

So many people abandoned the first game halfway through for this exact reason. These days you have the Crysis games for that itch. Then again, Far Cry used to be about exotic locations too, but now it's just set in the U.S. like a hundred other shooters, so whatever. Aliens, zombies, sure... why not chuck em all in.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Zhukov said:
Usually I'd be all for sci-fi elements in just about anything
Normally I'd agree but I've noticed them creeping in my graphic novels just a little too much lately for my tastes. The Autumnlands, The Massive, The Empty, Afar, etc etc. And that's coming from a huge sci-fi fan.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Saelune said:
No. That would be an excuse.

You want it in a new game? Sure, but Far Cry 5 is clearly calling out the nutjobs of America and I hope Ubisoft maintains that ballsyness.
Have you SEEN the whining going on?! The same people who sneer at "special snowflakes"....
I have, the Steam forum for the game is full of it. Honestly, I am glad Ubisoft is doing this just to show how hypocritical so many people are.

So many people are going "How dare they mistreat religion like that? It should be about killing Muslims instead"
I took a look there. Oh lordy, it's better than I thought...

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Silentpony said:
In Montana?! We'll be lucky if they have running water and more than 6 people!
When I lived on the East Coast I used to run into a surprising number of people who seemed to believe that the entire US was as densely populated as, say, Massachusetts. I always asked them if they'd ever been to Montana, and when they inevitably said "No" I'd say "Neither has anyone else. [http://tumblr.mapsbynik.com/post/82791188950/nobody-lives-here-the-nearly-5-million-census]".

An exaggeration, of course, but only just so. Any game set in Montana that features more than ten people in a five mile radius is gonna have some 'splanin' to do.

Whats with current games being set in rural locations run by pseudo-Christian sex cults?
It's unsurprising that there's a short list of acceptable antagonists gaming keeps drawing from, it's just weird that they tend to cycle like skirt lengths.

As for the OP, personally I have zero interest in the series in general or FC5 in particular, so I don't care either way, but given the stuff they've released so far you can bet there's an evil government plot in there somewhere. So don't lose hope, I'm sure "Mind control" was on the roulette wheel Ubi's "writers" (a term I use loosely, to be sure) seem to be using to come up with plots.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I agree with most folks in this thread. I'm all for a 100% Sci-Fi Cry - I'm a huge nut for that genre! But everything we've seen so far about Cult Cry suggests a better fit for themes of horror and creepyness. I know, that doesn't necessarily exclude a sci-fi setting as a possibility, but the vibes I'm getting are more along the lines of RE7 and less along the lines of System Shock, and I feel it'll probably serve this game best to go whole hog on the theme to deepen atmosphere.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I was hoping for wild west far cry. sci fi far cry game would be much better than what we are getting.

now Far cry 5 will be same recycle far cry 3 for 4th time.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Nah. Bible thumping hicks and futuristic technology don't really go hand in hand. If they decided to set 6 on a distant planet with alien fauna and flora I'd be all for it though.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Silentpony said:

Whats with current games being set in rural locations run by pseudo-Christian sex cults? RE7, Outlast, now Montana Max's Crazy No Good Tiny Toons Vacation. Hope this isn't just another 'follow-the-leader' phase like the Amnesia crazy, or neo-Modern Warfare.
Give if a few more months.

These games are close enough together that they were in development at the same time.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
Silentpony said:

Whats with current games being set in rural locations run by pseudo-Christian sex cults? RE7, Outlast, now Montana Max's Crazy No Good Tiny Toons Vacation. Hope this isn't just another 'follow-the-leader' phase like the Amnesia crazy, or neo-Modern Warfare.
Zombies are boring. We're back to the crazy hillbilly phase again. After this it should be space horror or monsters, then back to zombies.
There's a WW2 CoD game in the offing. Nazis might make the list after a fairly long absence.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Err... no. It would be lame to build all this extremist cult thing just to reveal...

If you go through the mind control tech, then make it plotted by the russians...

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
I really liked the original Far Cry, I personally find monsters more interesting than animals that are only dangerous because they can survive 90 rounds from an assault rifle to the face.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Eh, Farcry 1 is kind of the odd one out at this point, if anything I would rather they pull from the quasi supernatural elements of Farcry 3 or the straight up supernatural elements of 4 and primal, add some creepy unexplained pseudo X-Files stuff to ramp up the horror and add an element of mystery to the setting. The cult leader is supposed to be a prophet to some extent they can play with Christian mysticism and prophecy or add elements of Native American spiritualism and full on bring back the animal taming from primal. It would be interesting to see as it would add to the attempts at spiritualism from the last few games and make the setting seem more exotic and strange to Americans that might already be familiar with its locale.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I don't want any sci fi elements, people follow nut jobs that's not too farfetched from reality it has happened all throughout human history.

the only sci fi elements I'd be cool with are: Bigfoot, Monster from the Black Lagoon, and a Wendigo. Anything else is a meh at best