Would You Pay Almost $60,000 For A Cell Phone?

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
binnsyboy said:
IceStar100 said:
I will never understand my species love of shiny stuff. Gold is a worthless metal. To soft to build with heck pure gold can be bent by the thumb and forefinger of a child. It has no real use what so ever outside being shiny. Steel is shiny and it can be useful. Heck gold has to be mix with something to hold a shape.

I will truely never understand humans well other human. I don't really understand me eaither all well.
Have you by any chance read Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series? That first paragraph reminded me very much of Temuge's speech on the worthlessness of gold when someone attempts to bribe him with it.

OT: Assuming I was appropriately well off, I'd buy one just to toss in a fire, just to see the look on someone's face. (I haven't decided who, yet.)
No but I am now very intrested to wiki.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, actually if I was rich and could afford it I might very well spend the money on one.

I think the point being missed here it that it's being developed as a collector's item, as opposed to a toy, which the developer specifies. Something like this is likely to increase in value, especially with a limited run of only 5,000 of them. Ten, Twenty, or even a hundred years down the road something like this could be worth millions.

It's sort of like collecting anything from comic books, to sports memorbilia, or perhaps most relevently to this paticular creation... artwork and jewelery.

As a nerd you might get why someone might pay tens of thousands of dollars for a rare comic book... like an original, first print "Superman #1", this is the same basic thing but it's intended for someone into differant things from you.

Laugh if you want, but if I had millions I would definalty be interested in collecting curios and oddities like this, especially seeing as if something happened to my money I could probably sell them for more than I paid for them on a collector's market. It's stuff I can appreciate for the cool/odd factor, but also comes with a degree of piece of mind.

I very much doubt many people would actually be using these phones to do their business off of. Those that did would actually benefit the people who put theirs into display cases or whatever because the value of the surviving ones increase every time one is broken/lost/wears out.

Of course I'm never likely to have enough money to obtain things like this. At any rate, if anyone on these forums ever DOES come up with that much money, I'd hope they have the wisdom to see where I'm coming from here.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
On the one hand, I suppose it contributes a little to the economy. On the other, this reveals horrible, horrible design flaws in our psychology.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
If ppl are willing to spend $30k on a watch, i.e. Rolex. Why the fuck not for a phone?

when you make a more than $100 mil a year, its hard to spend all that money XD

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Solid gold? I see no gold LCD screen... LIES!!!

Sounds gaudy and impracticable, like the gold Wii.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
$57,400 is a lot of money, no matter what you're planning to spend it on. In fact, there are a lot of better uses for that amount of cash. You know, like a college education.
Chances are their target market already bought all of those they need.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I hate gold, and things that are made to look gold. Even real gold jewellery just looks disgustingly tacky in my eyes.

I like my things to be awesome at what they do, being shiny and "pretty" is often more than annoying.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
That phone isn't solid gold, it's clearly got those plastic(?) black parts and that LCD screen. It's probably stuffed with cheap silicon.

Show me a real solid gold phone and then I'll be interested.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Now from apple: the iRich!

I have a cheap ass phone that I think I have used four times in the past year and a half. So, no.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
60K? Luna shitting moonrocks.

There are so many other things I could do with that kind of money...

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
That sort of thing does not fleat my boat but I am sure someone thinks its a bargin. What I think is expencive may not be what you think is expensive.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Whoever buys it is buying it for the status symbol, bragging rights, or from not understanding at all that this phone is practically worthless should you strip the pretty covering.

That's someone I wouldn't want to hang out with. Ever.

If you have money to burn like that, buy an island.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
IceStar100 said:
I will never understand my species love of shiny stuff. Gold is a worthless metal. To soft to build with heck pure gold can be bent by the thumb and forefinger of a child. It has no real use what so ever outside being shiny. Steel is shiny and it can be useful. Heck gold has to be mix with something to hold a shape.

I will truely never understand humans well other human. I don't really understand me eaither all well.
Gold has it's uses in industry and technical fields.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Use_and_applications

Scroll down to industry and electronics.

As for the phone, yes, it's redonculous.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
No. Even if I was stupid rich, I would right down the exact price for the phone and how much I would pay for the first month. I would then spend that exact amount on ANYTHING FREAKING ELSE. Shit, for that much I could start and end my PSX collection and probably finish my SNES collection too.