Would you pick up an Xbone if the poor decisions were rescinded?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If they get rid of the 24 hour online requirement, allow used games unrestricted, stop putting so much focus on being a middleman for my TV cable service, stop focusing so much on Kinect, have exclusive games that aren't just meant to appeal to the dudebro fratboy crowd and stop charging for Xbox Live then sure I would.

But then at that point they'd have changed so much of the thing that it wouldn't even be recognisable as an Xbox One anymore. Not only that but its never going to happen. Not in a million years.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
If it was a straight console - no DRM, no mandatory online, no mandatory Kinect -

-actually no, this is silly. Yes, if every poor design decision was not present I would consider it. But they still have online subscriptions, so it's between PS4 and PC for me.

I probably wasn't going to pick one up in the first place. The only thing that might convince me otherwise would be if Sony did what Microsoft has done, and Microsoft waived the online fee alongside making a straight console. As far as what they can do now, nothing. Subsciption fee is present, and design decisions are irreversible.

FreakofNatur

May 13, 2013
The problem with the Xbone is not the PR nor the choice of software. It's the hardware. You'd think, after a company has a monopoly on the PC OS market, they'd have a much more superior hardware as well as support to boast of.

There isn't. They have failed to plan their funds properly to innovate for the games industry, because they clearly don't care. As a gamer then, I don't care abou the Xbone.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Not gonna buy it, regardless of changes.
A machine on which I can't switch between writing and administrating my medieval nation-state has no place in my home.
I'm not and have never been the target audience of consoles. I should probably stop posting in console threads...

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
Probably not. Even though the connection and used game issues don't affect me much personally, I still think they were horrible, horrible decisions. If I pay ?400+ for a console, I expect to have the freedom to do whatever I want with it. Today they force you to have an internet connection and Kinect, tomorrow they may decide that you'll need an MS brand television to really be able to play games (because we haven't played games perfectly without those things so far...). Add to that the fact that they just seem so arrogant and dismissive of people's concerns ("everyone has a broadband connection") and I just don't feel like doing business with them. I loved the 360, and it just seemed like the right choice at the time I bought it, but I think MS have dropped the ball lately.

So, even if they go back on their decisions on locking games to accounts and consoles, and requiring me to connect to the Internet every 24h, and forcing Kinect on me, we're still left with:

-no backwards compatibility
-paid online MP
-not many interesting exclusives (I can live without Gears and Halo, so far I'm only sorry about Quantum Break, and that may fade as we get actual details)
-OMG, I can watch TV?! From my console?! This would be amazing if the Xbox was a cable box, not a games console.

And, of course, my best friend will get the PS4, so even if Sony follow all of MS steps, at least I can play online with him for free. Hopefully they won't, and we'll also be able to lend each other games, and actually use our consoles if there's a problem with the servers, or if the Internet goes down, or whatever.

So no, unless MS throw the Xbox 1 away and start over and Sony comes out saying that the PS4 requires a tribute in blood every hour or it will burn down your house, I won't buy an Xbox 1.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
No.

The mere fact that the plan was to limit what I, a customer, could do with what I bought through unreasonable DRM etc doesn't change when they remove it.

JetFury said:
Why would I trust a company that revealed intentions I am 100% against? I can't trust they won't try this again in the future.
This is my stance on it as well. Right now, it's once any 24 hours, but since they can change their terms whenever they want, the could make you agree to having it twice a day, three times or always on at some point. I wouldn't put it past them, good thing I started moving on to PC.

I have all three current consoles bought over time as the other two got cheaper, so I'd like to say I'm not in favor of any particular one. So it's a shame I won't be getting their next one, but apparently they don't want my money anyway, not with all the BS attached.

Just a PC and a Wii U once it has a few games out that I want.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Avalanche before reveal: "you know......the Xbox 360 was actually pretty good but I missed out. If the nextbox is backward compatible and doesn't have a obligatory kinect, I might buy it."

Avalanche after reveal: "WHELP."

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Probably not. The primary reason being that they'd likely be playing catch up with Sony at that point much like how Sony was catching up to Microsoft last generation. With E3 this week we'll be getting a better picture of what the console space is shaping up to look like, so we should be able to put a lot of our speculation to rest by the end of it all.

The big mystery box at the moment is still Sony. Nintendo is stronger than Microsoft at this point, but they offer a vastly different gaming experience from them, so the chances of Nintendo directly competing with Microsofts audience is pretty slim. I'm going to bet Sony will stick closer to Nintendo and avoid the DRM fiasco.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
They would have to remove:

24h Checks
Mandatory Kinect
Publishers having total control
Indie Devs needing a publisher
Windows 8 style interface
Xbox Live Gold subscriptions for multiplayer
Ads for random crap on the Dashboard

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
why do I feel like it's going to sell really well anyway? Is that just because I have no faith in the human race? And because most of the issues with the Xbone (I like how the name is not ironic anymore, it's just what people call it now) are deeper issues that you need to at least somewhat understand the industry to get. your typical (clueless) consumer will still buy the thing because it's an Xbox, they liked their 360 and this one has prettier graphics.

As for me, I buy my systems depending on what games they can offer me. Xbox 360 is the only current generation system I don't own, and the reason for that is that there are no games out for it that interest me and aren't out on different systems. Most 360 exclusives were ported over to PC sooner or later and the ones that are left just don't appeal to me. The only one that does is Forza 4 and I'm not going to buy a new system for one game.

So even if MS did go back on everything they have announced so far (which would mean basically scratching the entire thing and announcing it again, in a less retarded fashion), whether I'd consider buying it or not would ultimately depend on the exclusives.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
PFCboom said:
Would you pick up an Xbone if the poor decisions were rescinded?
No, because they've made their intentions known and their contempt for gamers is now documented. If someone drops their knife after having raised it with the intent to kill, they aren't automatically forgiven or trusted again, SPECIALLY if they were forced to drop the knife. They could very well slit all our throats in our sleep, when our guard is most down and they have no resistance.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
xPixelatedx said:
No, because they've made their intentions known and their contempt for gamers is now documented. If someone drops their knife after having raised it with the intent to kill, they aren't automatically forgiven or trusted again. They could very well slit all our throats in our sleep, when our guard is most down.
It's not that they have any sort of "contempt" for gamers, at least beyond any they might have had before. It's just that their marketing became a bit more obvious and a bit less in line with what the active gaming community like us wants. If you're just now realizing they're all about the money, then clearly you haven't been paying attention the last couple of console generations.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I'm not going to buy one because they can't change everything that I don't like (everything that they showed). They would need to redesign the console from scratch and at this point that is impossible.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Lilani said:
xPixelatedx said:
No, because they've made their intentions known and their contempt for gamers is now documented. If someone drops their knife after having raised it with the intent to kill, they aren't automatically forgiven or trusted again. They could very well slit all our throats in our sleep, when our guard is most down.
It's not that they have any sort of "contempt" for gamers, at least beyond any they might have had before. It's just that their marketing became a bit more obvious and a bit less in line with what the active gaming community like us wants. If you're just now realizing they're all about the money, then clearly you haven't been paying attention the last couple of console generations.
Oh no, I know how Microsoft rolls, but I was willing to play nice with them if they at least pretended they weren't wearing devil horns. Wanting to play online games with some specific friends, I bought a 360 and also 'pretended' their devil horns weren't showing to. Of course that became harder and harder as my console red-ringed three times and the dashboard updates filled my start screen up with more and more spam.

And to be fair, I think they do have more contempt now. The used/rented/borrowed thing is a pretty big direct attack to most gamers and how they live. I don't think the Microsoft of the original Xbox and 360 era would have done this... and they didn't!

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Unless they show a change in direction, management, and customer relations, I highly doubt I'm buying ANY Microsoft product in the near future. I had no desire to upgrade to Windows 8, and now I have no interest in Windows 9.

xPixelatedx said:
Oh no, I know how Microsoft rolls, but I was willing to play nice with them if they at least pretended they weren't wearing devil horns. Wanting to play online games with some specific friends, I bought a 360 and also 'pretended' their devil horns weren't showing to. Of course that became harder and harder as my console red-ringed three times and the dashboard updates filled my start screen up with more and more spam.

And to be fair, I think they do have more contempt now. The used/rented/borrowed thing is a pretty big direct attack to most gamers and how they live. I don't think the Microsoft of the original Xbox and 360 era would have done this... and they didn't!
I concur.

It has been obvious that Microsoft (and most corporations) aren't "nice" and do desire to make money. It just matters where you draw the line, where their desire to make a profit interferes with our rights as customers. Right now is when it does.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Even ignoring all the shady business tactics, I only bought a 360 for the exclusives --any multi-platform titles go straight to PS3-- and, at time of writing, both Gears of War 3 and Alan Wake have been sitting on my shelf still in the wrapper, for about 2 years.

Add to that the ridiculously obtuse points-adding system for the marketplace (by which I mean it won't accept my bank card, whereas PSN will) and that my first 360 RRoD'd in under a year and Microsoft have instilled zero confidence or interest in me to buy whatever shit they shovel at us next.

That being said, Shadow Complex was the absolute tits; shame I can't get it on PSN.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
You know, there's one way for MS to win me back. They need to refer to the console as "Xbone" throughout the conference today. If they do, all is forgiven.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
As long as they have xbox live subscriptions,i probably won't get one,why pay for online play when i can do it for free in my Ps3?,all this other bullshit they are doing makes me want one even less

Would i get one if they fixed all that? If you didn't have to pay for the internet like before,and they got rid of all that other bullshit,i would get one if it looked better than the Ps4,which is unlikely,as the only thing the 360 did better than the Ps3 IMO was allowing you to play your own music in ANY game