Would you post your phone number to the internet?

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Hello, and welcome to a topic that's only slightly creepy

Context time: on facebook, there's a function where you can put in your phone number. Not everyone uses it, but it's supposedly helpful for security and convenience ect. My phone syncs all my facebook "friends" into my contacts, and as such, gives me their phone numbers, meaning I have the numbers of people (mostly girls, but the sample is too small to take much out of that) whom have never agreed to give them to me, and who I barely ever speak to (oddly enough, people who do this that I do know have given me their numbers independently, meaning I'll get duplicates).

This led me to thinking about giving your number to a real stranger, which in turn led to the question in the title. I'm wondering whether people would randomly post their number on the internet, without knowing the people who would call, or them knowing who you are, especially as I've heard of celebrities that've done it to prove a point (and that'd be way worse than just you doing it when no-one knows who you are). For what it's worth, I probably wouldn't, but that has more to do with my fear of social interaction than fear of dick pics, and it would be kinda fun to just talk with a complete stranger about all of your problems.

tl;dr see question title

NB: please don't post your number here, I'm really not a creepy internet pervert who wants to track you down.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I have no problem with it.

867-5309

See!

Alright, with that joke out of the way, let's get down to business:

Facebook, Gmail, Xbox...everyone wants my god-damn phone number to "secure" my account and I find it mildly insulting that in order to secure my sensitive information, I have to give them MORE sensitive information because...you know....reasons!

I get enough spam calls as it is, I don't need to worry about getting more from random bored teenagers or businesses that have no problem with just grabbing random numbers off the web and giving them a call.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
555-2323

;)

In all seriousness, I would never post my real number on the web. Only people I'm going to meet face to face get my cell number and fewer people ever get my land line. I met an Escapist in real life back in my hometown but I wouldn't have given him my cell if he wasn't an amazingly cool guy. Can never be too careful, never know who's lying about their identity online.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Feedmeketamine said:
Im tempted just to see what happens
I will call you. And I will try to sell you a time-share apartment. And if you try to decline the offer, I will keep reminding you of our reasonable prices.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Oh sure. Here's mine. 123-FAKE
Did ya see what I did there? Yeah, I'm real subtle.

Honestly, I'd never do that. Why would I want some random troll calling me at all times of day trying to prank me. I once got a text from a random number claiming it was part of a bet with friends to see who could keep up a conversation longest with a random number. Needless to say, I didn't reply.

Even if nothing happens, I'd rather not do something that is asking for trouble. There was a recent Feed Dump mentioning a guy who got his penis stuck in a toaster (or something similar). I think that's about the same thing. Doing something that can only go badly. You can't act surprised when it actually does go badly.

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Feedmeketamine said:
Im tempted just to see what happens
I will call you. And I will try to sell you a time-share apartment. And if you try to decline the offer, I will keep reminding you of our reasonable prices.
Well i guess i would counter that by trying to sell you all the shit on my desk at the moment. I have an empty can of stella artois, a homer simpson mug, a coupon for free guitar lessons and a tape measure from when i felt insecure about the size of my dick (dont worry i washed it) All this could be yours for the low low price of 17 pesos

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I was able to find my number and address online surprisingly easily. I've not given the latter to anyone except the companies I pay bills to, so I think the point might be moot. Privacy is dead.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I would because I never answer it anyway.

I won't though, because it could be used as some form of fraud.

What type of fraud, you ask? I don't know, so that's why I'm playing it safe.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:

Holy cow. I have not seen you in ages! And you speak up in a thread about phone numbers. Huh. :p

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Redlin5 said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:

Holy cow. I have not seen you in ages! And you speak up in a thread about phone numbers. Huh. :p
Nah, I've been around. I post a good ten posts a week still, at least, but only in Gaming + Off-Topic.

I put my old avatar back up too.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Aside from post my resumƩ on Monster, Dice, etc., there aren't enough NOPE and HOW ABOUT NO memes in the world to express the NOPE I have toward posting my phone number online, or providing it to some site for "security purposes." No, Google, no, Facebook, I will NOT give you my number and I will NOT use my real name on Youtube, either!

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Feedmeketamine said:
Posting your e-mail is much more fun. Than people can have fun subscribing you to all kind of random sites for crappy newsletters.

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
generals3 said:
Feedmeketamine said:
Posting your e-mail is much more fun. Than people can have fun subscribing you to all kind of random sites for crappy newsletters.

True but i crave human contact and no one has rung me yet, escapist I am dissapointed iny ou

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I have my number posted on Facebook, and my home address. Probably not the smartest thing, but nothing has come from it, nothing probably will. What's so wrong with me that no one wants to stalk me. T^T

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Did you guys know? If you put your escapist account password in a post, it automatically gets censored with stars? See, I'll type mine: ***********

Wow, amazing! [small]This is a joke. Don't do it[/small]

In seriousness, I did give Google my phone number for recovery purposes for the Gmail I sync to my phone but that's about it, and I haven't gotten a sales call to my cell in a while so it's probably fine. I'd don't use my real name on anything which causes people to laugh whenever they see the generic name I use on my main Gmail account. I'll find anyway I can to avoid handing out my information. I already have a bunch of emails to avoid spam

Feedmeketamine said:
Well i guess i would counter that by trying to sell you all the shit on my desk at the moment. I have an empty can of stella artois, a homer simpson mug, a coupon for free guitar lessons and a tape measure from when i felt insecure about the size of my dick (dont worry i washed it) All this could be yours for the low low price of 17 pesos
I'll take it! Do I have to go to Mexico for the lessons? The Spanish I learned working at McDonald's is limited to food words. Also if it makes your insecurity better, the length of your flaccid dick don't matter because most men erect to the same size (yay college education)

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I'm relatively sure I actually did that on my Facebook account when I set it up and I can't recall if I've since removed it. I didn't really think of it as a big deal at the time because it wasn't an anonymous profile, I was only adding people I actually knew in person in some capacity, I scarcely ever use it anyway and I wasn't really paranoid that somebody was going to send me death threat texts or attempt to steal my identity or something. Though there is an outside chance that it's the cause for some of these spam texts I've been getting over the years. >.> If it's a public profile anyway, then I'm not too bothered about it being there, but if I'm trying to retain any semblance of anonymity then I probably won't offer up my name, let alone contact details.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I already have on a number of public CV's since I'm job-hunting currently, soon after I first put them up I had a couple of spam calls on my mobile but they stopped once I installed an app which you can blacklist numbers with. Of course, that's under my 'real' name so good luck finding it would-be Escapist stalkers :)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I actually hate answering the phone, using the phone, talking over the phone, and making a call unless it is an immediate family member. It makes me extremely nervous and makes me feel locked into an exchange that I cannot give non-verbal ques to terminate.

On the other hand, this is golden.

CAPTCHA: sorry dave - Well, well, well.