Would you prefer if games were blunt (Give up, you suck)

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Stupid but simple (and fun) question, would you prefer your games to be straight forward with you, no beating around the bush, making things easier, throwing lives at you and leading you into deluded ideals that everything is okay, if you die, even on hard mode you'll be okay.

God of war reminded me of bluntness, a simple YOU ARE DEAD!!!!! Was enough to motivate me to pick up my skills so that I could handle the pressure. Games in the past weren't like that, you had 3 lives, if you lost them all, GAME OVER! To be honest, I haven't even seen GAME OVER in a while :/

So how would you feel if the next Halo, Tekken etc game you played gave you 3 lives and thrust you into bullet hell and if you couldn't man (woman) up and quit whining, it scorns you for being a cissie and tells you to go buy a barbie game? Would you feel more or less motivated to play and complete it?

EDIT: How do you feel when certain games ask you if you'd like to switch to an easier mode and does it annoy you when you die for stupid reasons and have to wait ages for the loading screen and CGI clips to go pass (Over and voer) before you can play again and retry?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hell yeah, I want a game to say this to me when I fail in a mission.

Would give me more motivation to beat it

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
I'd like it, sure. If they don't do it like Goldeneye. Fuck Goldeneye.

THIS IS YOU. THIS IS HOW MUCH YOU SUCK! LOL! oh you missed it?! here it is FROM ANOTHER ANGLE! oh my god you're terrible! AHAHAHA, let's see that again! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh man! This is quality entertainment! LET ME SLOW IT DOWN FOR YOU AND SHOW IT AGAIN!

*shakes fist*

But yeah, glossing over how terrible some players are is sort of annoying. Especially if multiplayer is involved. ...People on your team won't. I think people should strive to be better at games >.> I don't really care if you are in LOVE with sucking. You need to know it.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
I would prefer a Game Over screen that tells me how badly I lost but at the same time motivate me in a cool way. Alien Soldier does this with this song for its Game Over screen:

I wonder how many games motivate you like that.

Shihan2

Apr 14, 2009
GLaDOS does that regularly in the co-op of Portal 2. it made it that much more funny when my partner died for the tenth time and she told us she was keeping track.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
I've already decided that if I help make a video game over screen the first time you die will be something along the lines of 'You are dead, that sucks' next time 'You are dead...' next 'Watch out for , it kills' next 'Wow, you fail, huh?' last one would be 'Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha, you got owned!'

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
pulse2 said:
Stupid but simple (and fun) question, would you prefer your games to be straight forward with you, no beating around the bush, making things easier, throwing lives at you and leading you into deluded ideals that everything is okay, if you die, even on hard mode you'll be okay.

God of war reminded me of bluntness, a simple YOU ARE DEAD!!!!! Was enough to motivate me to pick up my skills so that I could handle the pressure. Games in the past weren't like that, you had 3 lives, if you lost them all, GAME OVER! To be honest, I haven't even seen GAME OVER in a while :/

So how would you feel if the next Halo, Tekken etc game you played gave you 3 lives and thrust you into bullet hell and if you couldn't man (woman) up and quit whining, it scorns you for being a cissie and tells you to go buy a barbie game? Would you feel more or less motivated to play and complete it?
Prince of Persia warrior within just loved to rub my nose in every little bottomless pit I fell into bastard of a game XD

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
If it just mocks me verbally, I find it amusing. If it outright suggests "easy mode?", then I get irked.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It depends on the game.

For something like Duke Nukem I pretty much EXPECT a game over screen that goes:
"What are you, retarded?"

But for a game like Persona 3/4 I'd expect something potent.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Hell no, I got pissed of with hearing "Oh, you failed. Why don't you try harder next time?" enough times from the fucking challenge givers in Skate 2. It only pisses me off even more, which in turn makes me fail more, which in turn makes them repeat that line, which in turn makes me angrier and then the whole cycle repeats itself over and over again.

I'd much prefer a simple "Press A to try again" screen or something to being mocked by a game.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
Yes, but I want that in Mario games. Can you imagine getting a game over and you find Bowser gloating as Princess Peach loses all hope? That could be pretty depressing.

Then again, Mario 64 had it to where you could watch Mario gasping for air and his dead body floating in the water if he drowned, which is kind of sobering when you're playing it as a kid.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Not sure, but if a game did insult me when I did madly it would just motivate me to defeat it.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
Some of the best gameovers are those that rub it in...
http://youtu.be/vl-4cBmkLCs note this isn't a real one but should be...
http://youtu.be/P6iT-lMgfAI
http://youtu.be/09s-c2JVI40
http://youtu.be/_zoxWEUlzaI