Would you still enjoy Christmas if we didn't have presents?

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
I really enjoy Christmas. I like visiting relatives, having big meals with them, and sitting around with them just shooting the shit for a few days every year.

When I was younger, it used to be all about the presents. Now I'm not as into that part of it. I really already have everything I want because I have a job that can pretty much pay for it.

I would actually prefer not getting presents nowadays, because all my loved ones struggle so hard to get something for me that I would like, even though I don't really want anything. Its kinda embarrassing, and I feel bad that some of them go through so much stress to find stuff, especially my mom. She bought me a shakeweight last year. Nuff said.

Blobpie

May 20, 2009
I've gotten to the age where if i really want something, i can buy it... and to be honest i don't really want much.... except money.

The funnest part of Christmas is Christmas eve for me! That when my family (grandparents, uncles,aunts cousins,etc) gets together for some real fun! Like a nerf gun fight... never too old for a nerf gun fight!

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
Presents always make things better, but I would still enjoy christmas without them. I spend time with my family, I can relax and not have to worry about my next project or shift, and it's not 110 degrees outside.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
10 years ago i would've said something along the lines "Christmas without present? Are you crazy?! We might as well not have Christmas then." Now, I don't care for the presents much. Even my family stopped giving each other presents. I just enjoy spending time with family and feeling that"Christmas cheer" and feels fuzzy on the inside. I'm a sucker like that =D

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
I'd enjoy it about the same honestly. I've already bought myself everything I really care about in terms of material goods, so just spending some time with friends and family (in that order of priority to be frank, I haven't seen my friends in person for close to 5 months now) will be fantastic.

Now if you REALLY want me to enjoy the Christmas season, get rid of those miserable goddamn holiday songs, or at the very least make it so that they don't start playing until midway through December. There's being festive and there's being obnoxious, and having to listen to holiday "classics" before Halloween is even over is most definitely the latter of the two.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Since I don't believe in God and don't feel terribly close to family though they live near me no. The time off would be enjoyable though. It's not like I get too many presents either. I can live without the cash and game or two since I make money throughout the school year selling snacks and drinks at competitive prices.I usually only buy one very long game like Skyrim or fallout then save my money for 3 months before I allow myself to spend any money at all. School thinks were going to pay them 1.75 for a 1 dollar drink. I get the added bonus of teaching my school about competitive prices and a free market economy. They should be paying me.

getofish

Oct 13, 2010
Me personally i like sitting in the room we keep the tree in and reading by the tree lights. Thats the best part for me any ways. so yes i would still enjoy Christmas, or i could just buy an evergreen

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
As you get older I think most people would agree it is less about the presents and more about meeting friends and familly, yes you shop and buy presents but you enjoy a nice conversation and dinner more.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
AwkwardTurtle said:
Just curious, wasn't "Christmas" made a secular holiday in general? Or did I imagine that~? x3
It's celebrated by pretty much everyone thanks to the present giving part, rather than the "Christ Dying" or, "Rebranding of Pagan Celebration" bit. So, if you want to make sure people celebrate a holiday, make it involve presents!

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Yes. In fact, this year my family has decided to spend all the money we were going to put towards presents and give it to help build a home for a widow and her children in some poverty stricken country. We're still looking forward to Christmas. I did personally shell out for a tree, though. It wouldn't be the same without that nice pine smell.

xFullmetalx

Feb 17, 2011
Hmmmm, I don't think it would faze me too much. Christmas for me is just about getting together with family (some of which I haven't seen in ages) and eating copious amounts of morish food. And Christmas specials, gotta love 'em.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
As long as we have the christmas food and the booze I am okey. I've been telling my parents like 1 or 2 things I want every christmas for the last 4 years but still they keep buying me all kind of stuff ( mainly humorous small things, but still).
So yeah, I'd enjoy it, family and food!!!

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
novixz said:
Well I was leaving the mall the other day, and it's the holidays, (kinda) so they put up all the Christmas decor and sales and all that, and my sister brought up that she thinks Christmas is over rated. She brought up how people will only care about getting presents, and greed and all that shit. That was kinda interesting to me. Would you still enjoy Christmas if their were no gifts? Would you still enjoy the entire later part of December?

Edit: Yes you still get out of school. A regular Christmas day; just without presents.

Video related, somehow....
As long there's still awesome food, I couldn't care less about presents. I get enough shit the rest of the year.

My mom already makes really fucking good food, but when Christmas comes around it's heaven. This year I'm going to Denmark for Christmas, so I'll get to enjoy their holiday food as well.

I could live without presents. Unless it's a job. Could I have one of those?

SuperMarshmallow

Jul 4, 2011
You should be spending time with family year round, but there is but one day of the year you can justify gratuitous gift giving. Some would call that selfish, but I say one of the greatest joys of the holiday is the anticipation leading up to Christmas day, the excitement of what you will receive and what you will give.

In other words, a Christmas without gifts sounds rather dry and boring. That's right, I said it. Suck it Charlie Brown.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I just like it mainly because its time off and I can hang out with my friends and not have to worry about 4 different term papers at once

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
Depends on whether I was raised on getting presents for Christmas. If I was, yeah, I'd be a little bummed that I suddenly don't have any, but I'd recover. If I wasn't, well, it wouldn't phase me.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Then it's a super long thanksgiving weekend with snow, I suppose. So no, bring on the holiday without presents.

Doesn't mean I won't pine and be a bit sad we don't get to give/receive presents, but I get to hang around with my family by a Christmas tree covered in lights and food and songs and warmth.

I still get the important parts even without the Santa involvement, which is a massive stress reliever.

I'm not giving up my tree, though. I spend eleven months looking forward to the bright lights. YOU CAN'T TAKE THAT FROM ME!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
No. It literally means jack to me and my family except presents. I don't belong to a Church so any chance of celebration or party is thrown out the window as well.