Would you still enjoy Christmas if we didn't have presents?

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Vault101 said:
yes...because Im hard to buy for, and If I want somthing I just buy it myself :p
This. And the fact that a month long break from calculus and physics is a good thing.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
As an adult I think I can say I would enjoy Christmas even without presents.
There would still be good food, decorations (I like it somehow minimalistic compared to some), time off and seeing my family which only happens 3 times a year.
Kids however would feel differently.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I'd enjoy it about as much as I enjoy Thanksgiving. I'd get to cook a big meal made up of things I don't always make for my family. My brothers and I, in a rare show of cooperation, working together without murdering each other is also nice. And I would enjoy getting to see my dad since I haven't been able to because of my new job's schedule.

I won't lie and say I don't enjoy getting gifts, but I do enjoy giving them out and the family stuff too.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
No, I would still dislike Christmas equally without presents. Presents don't matter to me any more because I have a steady enough income to buy most things that I need/want anyway.

I'm not a big family person and as far as I'm concerned I see waaay too much of them throughout the year anyway.

I'm not religious so "celebrating" Chistmas feels hypocritical to me anyway. As fas as I'm concerned there's nothing to celebrate anyway.

The OP's sister is right, Christmas is overated and it's all about corporate greed and exploiting gullible people.

/humbug

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, it's supposed to be a period of communion, of family togetherness, of giving, and of hiding from the omnicidal Robot Santa spreading tidings, or possibly spirits, of good will. At a point in my life where for several years I've been able to reach a point where, should I want something, it's a matter of selective saving so as to reach that goal, putting things off so that someone else can buy them for me seems more like a forced lesson in patience and giving than any of the business Xmas is supposed to be about. But, I do enjoy the practice of communal gift giving, that rather than one person being the center of attention, everyone exchanges gifts that we think they'd like. It's much better without the "hey, what do you want that's under $30?", because you seek them out something that they might like, rather than something they refrained from buying. Means more that way.

Whatever you take from that, take this as well: I will never oppose something that gives me a month off of school, minus the time spent in the labs and/or foundry.

EDIT:
Loonyyy said:
AwkwardTurtle said:
Just curious, wasn't "Christmas" made a secular holiday in general? Or did I imagine that~? x3
It's celebrated by pretty much everyone thanks to the present giving part, rather than the "Christ Dying" or, "Rebranding of Pagan Celebration" bit. So, if you want to make sure people celebrate a holiday, make it involve presents!
The bit about him dying is Easter, mate. His birth is falsely celebrated in December, happily stealing Mithras' day, the greedy cultist thieves. Like the Cult of Isis wasn't enough for them, or stealing Eostre, with its bunnies and eggs, or that whole "spear of destiny" thing they would later rip off from Odin.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I didn't get any presents the last two years, and I still enjoyed hanging out with friends and family and setting up a tree and driving around to see the Christmas lights. Don't get me wrong, receiving presents is always awesome, but I could survive and enjoy Christmas without them. Though I do enjoy giving presents, and have during years when we weren't giving presents.

Really, a Holiday is what you make of it. If you are going to sit around and hate it so none of it could ever be enjoyable, then fine. If you are going to have a good time regardless of your circumstances, with or without presents, that's fine too.

caladors

Mar 17, 2011
My memory for dates is horrid, it's beyond poor it's broken. If I ever had to be somewhere at someday or the human race dies, well in advance, sorry human race it's been great time.

So lets just say you have a birthday I may not remember. However Chrismas is kinda hard to miss plus it lets me build up through the year, remember when you said you liked that thing, well there maybe a chance that I went out and got something ages ago, or you really like X I may get something In relation to X. Not expensive things as I am not the richest or even close the richest person I know in any 7/11 at any point in time. Say for example you love cars well don't expect a car but I may just have a novelitity plate for you from your favourite car company.

For me it's never been getting presents because on my end they never seem great but when I give them out it seems that people seem appreciate them.

In closing No I think it would be worse.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Well I love Christmas and would continue to do so even if presents were taken out.

The whole month of decemeber is generally great for me. I love going to German markets, meeting up with old friends as we all had back to old haunts and the fact that there is so much colour in the dark of winter. While the day itself has so much food even a fat man like me can't eat it all, I even enjoy the traditons like watching top of the pops followed by the queen's speech. Ah a good British Christmas is just what I need this year.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
As long as I can still get wasted with my friends with Christmassy booze and cigars, I'm good.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
It would be much less stressful. And there would still be Steam holiday sales (right? right?!?). Just give me the baked goods and no one gets hurt.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Hell yes? To us, Christmas is our thanksgiving thingy, I have a great meal with my family, watch terrible christmas films, eat chocolate and spend the entire evening spread out on the sofa like a gelatinous blob.
Also sparkly lights, cosy cold weather, nice alcohol and family.

Wouldn't trade it up for a couple of gifts too, they're like the cherry on a very delicious cake.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I don't really care for christmas at all. Sure seeing the family all together is nice, and a month off from school is also good, those are the only things that I really enjoy about it. And the food, but everything else just kinda goes past me.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Absolutely...giving and getting gifts for Christmas feels 'forced' and just leads to unnecessary stress up to the day. Get rid of the gifting aspect of Christmas and you have a great holiday with family and loved ones.

As a kid though, I'm sure I'd hate to go from receiving gifts on Christmas to nothing but a nice dinner. As such...I'd encourage turning Christmas into Halloween in that only kids get gifts.

Philol

Nov 7, 2011
Well it would be a bit less enjoyable, I always enjoy opening presents with my family, but on the whole no, I would still very much enjoy Christmas.

FC Groningen

Apr 1, 2009
Since we don't do Christmas in the first place, I don't particulary care.

However, historically speaking, it would not make sense to change it. Christmas was basically stolen from "Saturnalia".

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia) Yeah, wikipedia, I know...

The idea of Saturnalia was to give each other gifts and to treat each other as equals (as far as it would be possible at that time). In some cases, it reversed the social roles for the time being. The Christian interpretation came much later. So, exchanging gifts is older than the Christian rituals.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
It'd be worse, but I think I'd still enjoy the family aspect of it. When does taking away presents ever improve anything?