Would you take a Covid-19 vaccine?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yes. But like most everyone here, I'm pretty sure I'm low priority. That's fine tho, I can wait.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'd be as likely to take a COVID vaccine as get a flu shot... which is... meh. I have in the past. I've passed other times.
At this point, I think the median age of those that die of it is around 80 years of age. Not sure what the per 100,000 deaths comparing flu to COVID are at this time. Looking around, I keep finding links to articles and studies from, at the latest, August. I think over the Fall, numbers changed as testing became more universal.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'll get one as soon as possible. I just watched a co-worker return to work after being down with covid for 2 months. An otherwise healthy 50 year old with no preexisting conditions and who developed no other complications was unable to leave the ICU for over 2 weeks. And then wasn't good to come back to work for another month and a half. And now that he's back he is still is on supplemental oxygen. And even though he's getting stronger it is possible he won't ever get 100% lung function back, along with who knows what other long term effects he could experience. Yes, I'm nearly a decade younger than him... but I don't want any part of that. I'll be first in line when it is available for me. Even if the needle has to go directly into my eyeball.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I am fortunate enough to know a bunch of people in both medicine, pharma, and biomedicine so I'd consult with them first and if they give the go-ahead I'd take it. But I also want to work with kids/teenagers and they are spreaders so getting the vaccine might be mandatory.

Of course if the review board in my country gives the all-clear I'll also get it, my mistrust is aimed at Russia, the U.S. and China. I wouldn't get a vaccine just on their say-so.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
I'm slightly worried about the pressure I imagine is being applied by rich bastards to get a vaccine out quickly without better testing. We're supposed to be taking this all next year. I believe this virus still isn't even a year old yet let alone its vaccine. All other vaccines have had years of science behind them, I'm not anti vaxxer I trust all other vaccines I can get but this is possibly a rush job. Is it wise to jab a rush job in your veins?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm slightly worried about the pressure I imagine is being applied by rich bastards to get a vaccine out quickly without better testing.
Why, though? Why would if bother them if it's slow to arrive? And, as mentioned, it's going to go through all sorts of approval around the world, lots of people get it before it gets to you and me.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
No. They should just give it to the risk groups. I'm pretty sure covid is no threat to my personal health and natural immunity is always better than a vaccine. Then there is the limited immunity, at best a year or so. I also don't trust the safety of a vaccine developed this quick. I'm sure when they start to deploy it on a massive scale more and more adverse effects will come to light. And Pfizer being Pfizer I'm also definitely sure they have swept more than one potential side-effect under the rug. But if you're in the risk group those risks might ofcourse be worth it. But for me definitely not.

On a related note Pfizer's CEO just sold 60% of his stock at about 6 million USD. No trading with prior knowledge, no sir, not at all.

Reactions: Shadyside

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I can only imagine future lawsuits and tv ads saying, "If you or your loved one have taken a covid vaccine and suffered some side effects, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Call now for a free consultation."

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I can only imagine future lawsuits and tv ads saying, "If you or your loved one have taken a covid vaccine and suffered some side effects, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Call now for a free consultation."
Oh. Goddamnit, yeah, you're right.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm willing to wait and see how well it works since I'm not a person at risk though I suppose I'd eventually take it once enough is available just so I don't potentially infect someone I know who would be at risk.

Reactions: Shadyside

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'm willing to wait and see how well it works since I'm not a person at risk though I suppose I'd eventually take it once enough is available just so I don't potentially infect someone I know who would be at risk.
Yeah, but there is also a lot Pfizer haven't disclosed yet. Who did they test it on? What are the side effects? For who is it intended? How long does immunity last? Can RNA vaccine immunized people no longer infect others? etc.

If they tested it on primarily healthy college students with no more symptoms than a runny nose then yeah, that would be a disappointment to say the least. The most important question is the safety and efficacy for the risk groups ie old people, people with cardiovascular issues, respiratory issues, obesity, hypertension, diabetes etc. Maybe Pfizer really tested the vaccine on all these folks and a large enough representative sample but somehow I doubt it. You need a vaccine for people who get really sick from covid not for those who just shrug it off.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Given the nature of my job, and how I've had multiple clients cancel appointments due to positive test of either themselves, family, or coworkers, and one of my own coworkers coming up with a false positive, I'll want to take it fairly quickly. I'll probably give it a month or so after official release to see if any last minute side effects pop up that aren't apparent until widespread use, but I'll want one.

I do find the entire situation funny though, in the sense that people who are suspicious of the practice of medical testing and trials, will just have their paranoia reinforced by this vaccine (if it turns out to be hazardous) , BECAUSE it was rushed without proper testing procedures on the scale that are usually taken.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yeah, but there is also a lot Pfizer haven't disclosed yet. Who did they test it on? What are the side effects? For who is it intended? How long does immunity last? Can RNA vaccine immunized people no longer infect others? etc.

If they tested it on primarily healthy college students with no more symptoms than a runny nose then yeah, that would be a disappointment to say the least. The most important question is the safety and efficacy for the risk groups ie old people, people with cardiovascular issues, respiratory issues, obesity, hypertension, diabetes etc. Maybe Pfizer really tested the vaccine on all these folks and a large enough representative sample but somehow I doubt it. You need a vaccine for people who get really sick from covid not for those who just shrug it off.
This is also part of why I plan to wait and see. Who knows how truly effective it is or potential side effects. I'm not concerned about myself though.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Lots of this stuff is public information these days, e.g.

The precise results of all this work maybe might take a bit longer.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Lots of this stuff is public information these days, e.g.

The precise results of all this work maybe might take a bit longer.
Thanks for posting. From what I understand the first vaccine candidate, BNT162b1, only made it through Phase 1 which excluded the risk group. Apparently there was a higher rate for severe systemic reactions in older adults:

''BNT162b2 was associated with a lower incidence and severity of systemic reactions than BNT162b1, particularly in older adults.''

So only BNT162b2 has made it through Phase 1 clinical trial but not yet Phase 2/3 which should include the risk group:

''Conclusions: The safety and immunogenicity data from this U.S. phase 1 trial of two vaccine candidates in younger and older adults, added to earlier interim safety and immunogenicity data regarding BNT162b1 in younger adults from trials in Germany and the United States, support the selection of BNT162b2 for advancement to a pivotal phase 2-3 safety and efficacy evaluation.''

This kind of proves my superstition that it was too good to be true. I think it's fair to say it's unsafe for the risk group at this point. So who is it for? Definitely reads like a rush job and I'm not even a scientist. Needs atleast another year of study and testing.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Why, though? Why would if bother them if it's slow to arrive? And, as mentioned, it's going to go through all sorts of approval around the world, lots of people get it before it gets to you and me.
Well I mean look at all the economic woes covid has caused for travel, food, religious events and anything to do with large groups. There would be a huge amount of rich people yearning for the end of covid so that they can get back into business as usual and they regularly buy politicians. Imagine owning an airline right now.

All viruses are "new" by this definition, due to mutations. Why do you think they have to keep giving us flu shots?
Very good point. I don't have much knowledge on how how viruses and vaccines work.

Last edited: