Wouldn't the world be generally much better If the population were like the escapists?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Well, while it would certainly be... different, I don't think it would be much better.

Would be quite amusing though.

In fact, go make another thread; title it

"Hypothetical: What if God struck down all non Escapist users? How fucked are we?" That'd be worth a few laughs.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Overusedname said:
This is one of the more self-aware, self-depricating communities out there.
Really? I'd say we're rather self-congratulatory. Hence the existence of this thread and many others like it.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
no. not at all. plus it would get rather long winded. no one would be able to get anything done if everyone was required to speak at least a paragraph whenever they opened their mouths.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Regional and politics forum. Your argument about the Escapist is invalid, it's full of dicks.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
So we'd solve the problem of people being bigoted, unpleasant and downright slime.

But we would still have that stupidity problem. And if you don't kill THAT, all the others come flying back.

Filiecs said:
Umm, no.
I feel like the general Escapist community is too judgmental towards the irrational, the religious, and those that act based on emotion rather than logic or reason.
So... They're judgemental to the irrational, the stupid, and the impulsive.

How is that a bad thing?
"Religious people are inherently stupid! We should be judgemental towards them for being religious! But that doesn't make us bigots, no siree!"

Yeah, this is a perfect example why the Escapist shouldn't be a template for the rest of humanity.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
*snort* Yeah, right. Have you looked at these forums?

Most of you are perfect examples of internet denizens... which is not a good thing. Just a bunch of laughably arrogant atheist kids who hate women and have SERIOUS entitlement issues. It's why I don't post on here very much any more.

I just saw this thread, though, and couldn't resist. The idea that the people on this site are somehow "better" seems so ridiculous to me.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
Overusedname said:
This is one of the more self-aware, self-depricating communities out there.
Really? I'd say we're rather self-congratulatory. Hence the existence of this thread and many others like it.
to be fair I'm not seeing alot of circle jerking going on...more relfection on how things suck

which is typical I supose

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Dr Snakeman said:
.... who hate women
not sure I'm seeing that

[quote/]and have SERIOUS entitlement issues. [/quote]
not that I DO find interesting...please explain? :p

TBH I think people are being a little harsh...sure theres plenty of BS here..but theres less "DERP!" that other places, you don't have to deal with idiots, only arrogant "people"

White Lightning said:
Goddamnit it I still can't figure out how to post videos... Anyways my answer is no.
take a youtube link and single out that ID thing in the URL..that comes after the v=

so it goes

EDIT: its doing it anyway 0_0

uhh youtube=dfjdfjfgg and frame it in [ ]

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
So we'd solve the problem of people being bigoted, unpleasant and downright slime.

But we would still have that stupidity problem. And if you don't kill THAT, all the others come flying back.

Filiecs said:
Umm, no.
I feel like the general Escapist community is too judgmental towards the irrational, the religious, and those that act based on emotion rather than logic or reason.

How is that a bad thing?
I think it's a very bad thing. I'm religious. I'm also fairly emotion driven, rather than logical, and I'm irrational on occasion. However, I'm also studying an honours degree in psychology at university, which I want to use to alleviate people's pain. My goal is to make the world a better place.

Now, I don't think I'm special in the least, and I'm not trying to talk myself up. I think most people are fundamentally good, and want to make the world a better place. I don't think you should be judgemental towards someone just because of their beliefs and their personality. We'd alienate a lot of people like that, unjustly. Also, saying religious people are stupid is a rather ignorant generalisation to make; there are plenty of intelligent religious people out there.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
White Lightning said:
Goddamnit it I still can't figure out how to post videos... Anyways my answer is no.

Vault101 said:
Dr Snakeman said:
.... who hate women
not sure I'm seeing that

[quote/]and have SERIOUS entitlement issues.
not that I DO find interesting...please explain? :p

TBH I think people are being a little harsh...sure theres plenty of BS here..but theres less "DERP!" that other places, you don't have to deal with idiots, only arrogant "people"

White Lightning said:
take a youtube link and single out that ID thing in the URL..that comes after the v=

so it goes

EDIT: its doing it anyway 0_0

uhh youtube=dfjdfjfgg and frame it in [ ][/quote]

HAZAAH I DID IT!!!

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:

Filiecs said:
Umm, no.

How is that a bad thing?
You may disagree, but personally I would say it's a very bad thing. Basically in the same way that it would be bad if every human being was killed and we were replaced by an organized and efficient society of sentient robots. Humanity has problems, sure. But they are beautiful, fascinating, sometimes just downright awesomely bat-shit insane problems.

Our irrationality, our hatred and our love, our dreams about things we don't understand... it's all part of what makes it so great to be alive. To be human. The pain, the joy, all of it.

Trials, and obstacles to be overcome, are what make being alive worthwhile. I genuinely believe there cannot be happiness without despair, or knowledge without ignorance.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I don't think so...

Ooh. I'll probably get banned for saying that.

In general I run into way to many um... Trolls I guess is the word.
No offense.

You know the childish pricks that take obvious jokes out of context then attack you for them.

Like if you weren't on the Escapist you wouldn't have had to put that picture of EDI up. Everyone would have known you were joking already.

Of every forum I've ever been on the Escapist has the least developed sense of humor.
80% of the population wouldn't understand when a comment was meant as satirical or ironic unless they put a little [/sarcasm] tag next to it.

Then there are people like me who will fight to the death to defend an opinion that DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER! just because talking about it is fun.

And worst of all there are people on this site who genuinely like Miracle of Sound and I don't want to live on the same planet as them...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
White Lightning said:
HAZAAH I DID IT!!!
excellent!

now we can move onto snipping posts...

putting [quote/] on eather end of their text (dash after "quote" first, dash before "quote second) will "quote" it..but it won't notify them

to notify you'll get
username" post="numbers said:
just use this in place of the first quote

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mikeyfell said:
In general I run into way to many um... Trolls I guess is the word.
No offense.

You know the childish pricks that take obvious jokes out of context then attack you for them.
thats not trolling

[quote/]f every forum I've ever been on the Escapist has the least developed sense of humor.
80% of the population wouldn't understand when a comment was meant as satirical or ironic unless they put a little [/sarcasm] tag next to it.[/quote]
thats not an escapist thing, thats trying to decipher meaning through text alone..somtimes it seems obvious but its not the same for everyone

[quote/]Then there are people like me who will fight to the death to defend an opinion that DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER! just because talking about it is fun.[/quote]
if thats the case then what are you doing on the internet?

[quote/]And worst of all there are people on this site who genuinely like Miracle of Sound and I don't want to live on the same planet as them...[/quote]

hahaha.....oh you

and yes, I'm aware I may have just flown right into your trap/eaten your bait but.....I just can't help myself