WoW: Cataclysm Part 1: Old Villains, New Races

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I played WoW since pre release, then quit and resubbed a few times after it wore on me to stay in the game, but by the time I last quit, it felt like I was in constant competition for everything against everyone to get resources, items, drops, and honor.

And the grinds really got to me; I knew I'd probably never see the best gear because PvP and dungeons felt like a second job and and demanded WAY too much of my free time. I know the devs allowed 5-man raids for big dungeons, but they don't let you get the best gear. I just can't devote at least 2 to 4 hours to just a dungeon.

I realized this when my highest level character (which is a 61) still has green level armor because I only had enough honor to get some boots and shoulders in pvp, and never had enough gold since I couldn't stand to farm items and live at the AH. The economies are warped because people have thousands of gold.

All in all it feels opressive to get back into it. It rewards the addicts and no-lifers while those with jobs who don't spend all their free time on WoW go unwanted for groups or guilds. It's a shame too, I'd like to get back in, and it's the only MMO I've played for more than 6-10 months.. but the work involved to catch up and maintain myself makes me groan lol

dirk45

Mar 20, 2009
All in all there's nothing in it that could get me back from LotRO. No fascinating story, no incredible features, no good graphics (even if the trailer looks blasting as every Blizzard one).
Now there's not even a new world. To me it sounds like "Hey, our best designers are on the new MMO, how do we create a new expansion before the last idiot left for Aion or SW:TOR." "No problem, we just take the old world, the old dungeons, the old classes and call it an expansion. I know, we make a dragon destroy the old world so that we can make it look a bit different, but not too much."