WoW Gets Real Money Trading, End Times Ensue

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Torrasque said:
If I still played WoW, and my guild ever gave me a fucking pet as a reward for a good job, I would probably either g-quit or laugh at them.
Word. Srsly. The amount I have to plan my schedule and general BS I need to put up with for guild runs, a fucking pet bear as some kind of reward would be an insult. If I were still playing.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Bah. We knew this was coming. I'm surprised its taken this long.

I've never understood buying gold when it was so easy to earn but then again, each time an expansion comes out the economy is trashed. I imagine that gets old after a while.

Oh, as for selling the pets at the AH, the value is going to be determined by the quantity. A lot of people are going to try this initially and the value will tank (good for Blizz$$) and people will get stuck with them, OR people will try to artificially keep the value up high since they paid real money for it which can ripple through the economy and jack up values on everything.

Blizz wanted more money and basically crapped on their fans. Seems to be a trend with gaming companies as of late. OCCUPYWOW!

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Desworks said:
The Badgers have been spotted eating cheese!
May the gods have mercy on our souls...

But yeah, making gold buying legitimate won't make that much of a difference...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Richard Allen said:
Sell it on the ah for gold. IT's not quite eve but it's there. It's another stone of jordan in the works.
I still don't get it. Stone of Jordan worked because you could sell it over and over again, because it was actually valuable and because it allowed people to circumvent the gold cap. With this pet, you can sell it once. So the only reason to buy it is if you actually want the pet. You can't use it as currency since it can't be resold over and over again.

Sure, people who have access to real money transactions could sell this pet to people who don't and who really want it, but that hardly seems like a big deal.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Well... I won't buy one for real, or in-game. I don't buy things from Trade or the AH... so the "economy" doesn't really affect me.

It probably won't affect anyone, but they'll complain about it nonetheless.

I guess it can help against illegal gold selling, and the hacking and scamming that supports it.

Then again, that all depends on the market price in gold of the cubs, and how many people actually want them on a given server. Since it is a one-each permanent item, there is an upper limit on how many can be sold for gold per server.

I can't imagine a gold market price high enough to make the cash investment worth it while still keeping enough demand. Especially not one high enough to "break" the in-game "economy", quotes because you can't break an economy that barely behaves like an economy. I mean, I'd want a substantial amount of gold for $10, but not everyone is going to pay that much for one, and folks might just spend the $10 if they really want one, rather than relying on buying it from another player for gold.

So, in reality, meh, this changes very little. Though, it won't stop the forums and chat channels from exploding over it.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Jandau said:
Richard Allen said:
Sell it on the ah for gold. IT's not quite eve but it's there. It's another stone of jordan in the works.
I still don't get it. Stone of Jordan worked because you could sell it over and over again, because it was actually valuable and because it allowed people to circumvent the gold cap. With this pet, you can sell it once. So the only reason to buy it is if you actually want the pet. You can't use it as currency since it can't be resold over and over again.

Sure, people who have access to real money transactions could sell this pet to people who don't and who really want it, but that hardly seems like a big deal.
Its a taste of things to come, and I think that has more people angry than anything.

Generic Difference

Apr 14, 2009
THE SKY IS FALLING!

Or, not.

Blizzard is basically implementing a way for players to buy an item with a high in-game value for real world money. This will likely create a safer and more attractive way for those who might consider buying gold.

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=PLEX

You see that? That digital thing that you buy with real money in order to generate cash in-game?

True the cub pet doesn't have the advantage of letting serious addicts play for free but they're likely the people who will go on paying forever anyway.

This is not a bad thing, this is the future.

As long as things like this remain as optional frill then i'm fine.

May 29, 2011
it might become a shitstorm soon, but in reality, this seems ok. If they only sell small-ish things, perhaps this will work.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
MajorDolphin said:
Jandau said:
Richard Allen said:

Its a taste of things to come, and I think that has more people angry than anything.
That I can understand, but wasn't the announcement of D3's auction house an even earlier taste of things to come? And people called me paranoid when I said it wasn't going to end well...

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Maybe they're purposely sabotaging WoW in hopes that more people will jump on their newer title when it comes out.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Jandau said:
MajorDolphin said:
Jandau said:
Richard Allen said:

That I can understand, but wasn't the announcement of D3's auction house an even earlier taste of things to come? And people called me paranoid when I said it wasn't going to end well...
It was but like you said, a lot of people didn't want to believe it would come to WoW. Even if Blizz tries to add it slowly.

Honestly, I can imagine the kind of damage Gold Sellers can do with with a stack of stolen credit card numbers and this new "safe" and sanctioned gold selling system. D3 is going to a wreck as well.

Generic Difference

Apr 14, 2009
In all the posts of all the forums i've read. Not once have I seen anyone explain to me why this is worse than PLEX in Eve. Eve being a game that is said to have a great and vibrant economy.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
Fawxy said:
Counting down the clock until WoW goes completely f2p, being supported entirely off of microtransaction crap like this.

Getting closer...
I would not be shocked at all. "Free" to play MMOs make three times the money as pay per month MMOs. I loath and refuse to play them because they nickle and dime you for far more than a simple monthly subscription. They and in game DLC advertisement (DA1, I'm looking at you) make me feel pressured to buy more stuff when I'm just here to relax and play a damn game.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I don't see this turning into a viable gold-acquisition method. If people want one, they can pay 10 bucks. If they don't want to use real money, they can pay some gold. This has no gameplay use so how long will the buying last? A few weeks before everyone who wants one gets one? And then what? People who bought 10 of them thinking they'd make bank are left with a bunch of pets no one will pay for.

So it's a little dumb in my eyes, but what's the big deal?

grimgor42

Mar 15, 2011
Well, do you want Blizzard selling people gold (albeit, very indirectly), or people who hack accounts, strip the characters of all rescources and turn them into bots, loot guild banks if possible, and then sell that gold back to the community.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I thought I felt a great disturbance in the force. Like millions of angry WoW players calling for Metzen and Ghostcrawler's heads on a pike. This is not going to be pretty, at all. Won't come close to the shit-storm created by the Real ID thing, but it'll be bad.

Still, I fail to see an issue with it, demand for a vanity pet decreases as more and more people get it. You can only "learn" it once so as a method for transferring real money for gold it's one that will fizzle very quickly. Besides, server economies are dominated by the people who camp the auction house 24/7 playing it like the f'ing stock market. Your average player just tosses extra mats on it for a quick buck to add to the mountain of gold they get from dailies.