WoW Season of Mastery Genetic Algorithm

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
With all the drama at Blizzard, this probably wasn't the best time to resurrect some code to do a traveling salesman problem with.

So what is a short path through all the Classic quests given the XP boost for Season of Mastery? How does that path change based on class quests?

Below is the result of a genetic algorithm running to find a solution. It can take a long time to run but it really is still in a prototype phase. The biggest problem is that it doesn't take in objective distances yet so it doesn't group quests with related objectives together. It will group up quests that have related start and endpoints though. It also takes the path as a straight line so it doesn't understand how difficult it is to go to Stonetallon as a Gnome Warlock at level 20. I'm not sure what it is about Darkshore but it tends to favor going to it early on even though it means doing a Wetlands run. Even though it does check to see if the character can accept the quest there is a quest at Ratchet that is shared with the Horde and it just takes the first delivery spot in Ogrimmar. Definitely not an advisable turn-in spot. I make it avoid dungeons quests as best as possible but there is "The Molten Core" at level 58 that's probably not possible at the point it wants it done.

The XP is estimated with the Quest XP and assumes that you'll kill 15 mobs of that quest level. In my testing of the path, it leaves enough quests on the table to easily catch up if needed. I've been grouping with my wife testing it out and with the reduced mob XP, we're still near its estimate at level 20.

On a final note, Teldrassil and the other starter areas are purposefully left out. They created a problem early on in my testing, and I haven't added them back in to see if it still wants the gnome to go do Human or Night Elf starter quests.

003751.png
And here is 8 hours of it being streamed on twitch
Video

Attachments

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So, uh, you made this thing? Congrats, I guess. I'm not really sure exactly what the image or the text file are supposed to tell me, though. It's entirely incomprehensible, but I'm not deep into WoW.

What's a genetic algorithm? Or the traveling salesman problem?

Reactions: Dalisclock

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
As someone who hasn't played WoW in nearly 20 years, I can confidently say I recognize the Barrens. That was a cool place. Barrens Chat was one of the best parts of classic WoW.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Me(having never played nor ever plan to play WOW): Cool. That is definitely a thing you put a lot of time into and if I knew much of anything about WOW I'm sure it would be fascinating.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
So, uh, you made this thing? Congrats, I guess. I'm not really sure exactly what the image or the text file are supposed to tell me, though. It's entirely incomprehensible, but I'm not deep into WoW.

What's a genetic algorithm? Or the traveling salesman problem?
The image is of the positions of each quest connected together. Red lines are for when the character is less than level 20, green is for less than 40, and blue is for less than 60. There is a white line that never shows up because it's for level 60. Any quests after 60 should be quickly eliminated to shorten how far someone would have to go for the quests.

The points should make an image similar to the WoW classic world map.

A genetic algorithm is Machine Intelligence based on DNA. In this case, I start off with 100 random quest plans. Each is evaluated by how close it gets to level 60 to start. How many of the desired "required" quests like class quests. And then by the distance the lines create. The best are then used to make another generation that has random changes. So, the path evolves over each generation. The video shows the best Quest Path that it's found over 8 hours.

The text file is just the output of the best path. It has the Quests Level the player's level, the estimated XP, quest name, and zone.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The image is of the positions of each quest connected together. Red lines are for when the character is less than level 20, green is for less than 40, and blue is for less than 60. There is a white line that never shows up because it's for level 60. Any quests after 60 should be quickly eliminated to shorten how far someone would have to go for the quests.

The points should make an image similar to the WoW classic world map.

A genetic algorithm is Machine Intelligence based on DNA. In this case, I start off with 100 random quest plans. Each is evaluated by how close it gets to level 60 to start. How many of the desired "required" quests like class quests. And then by the distance the lines create. The best are then used to make another generation that has random changes. So, the path evolves over each generation. The video shows the best Quest Path that it's found over 8 hours.

The text file is just the output of the best path. It has the Quests Level the player's level, the estimated XP, quest name, and zone.
Ok, I kind of understand. The text file is still borderline unreadable with how it's currently formatted.

So if you reach level 60 the fastest do you win the Season of Mastery or something? Let us know how well you do if you put this into practice.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
As someone who hasn't played WoW in nearly 20 years, I can confidently say I recognize the Barrens. That was a cool place. Barrens Chat was one of the best parts of classic WoW.
"20 years"

.....WOW wasn't released in 2001.