Wranglers: Hobbit Production Responsible for 27 Animal Deaths

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Mr F. said:
Xan Krieger said:
Mr F. said:
Xan Krieger said:
PETA is in the right on this one, these deaths were avoidable and the fact that they didn't prevent the deaths in the first place is reason enough to protest it. If a movie costs innocent lives the movie should never even be released.
PETA kills animals on a regular basis, far more than accidentally died during the filming (Or died of natural causes during the filming) of this one film.

How about this: An animal charity that costs the lives of animals on a regular basis should not be allowed to exist.

For comparison why not compare PETA with, say, the RSPCA? Compare strategies and aims and tell me which is the more ethical group.

No matter how decent the cause is the moment PETA touches it it becomes toxic.
I hate PETA but even assholes are right sometimes. PETA may do crap like want to setup a slaughterhouse scented billboard in my town or do the dumbest protests anyone here can think of but on rare occasions like this they're right.

KeyMaster45 said:
Xan Krieger said:
PETA is in the right on this one, these deaths were avoidable and the fact that they didn't prevent the deaths in the first place is reason enough to protest it. If a movie costs innocent lives the movie should never even be released.
Too little too late for PETA to protest? The animals aren't being kept on the farm anymore and it's not like they continued to ignore the problem. Besides it's just a bunch of farm animals, hardly any reason to lose sleep over, so saying the movie should never be released because 27 of them died is rather ridiculous.
So a movie costs 27 lives and that isn't enough to lose sleep over? How many innocent deaths is too many?
Right, I am just going to question your use of language here.

For innocence or guilt to be established, something has to be capable of thought and forethought to the degree where they can consciously commit an act. Animals are not capable of this. Animals are not particularly intelligent. Well, with the exception of dolphins, some primates and whales. Most animals are pretty fucking dumb.

The animals listed here are all pretty dumb. And, for the record, all shit I have eaten. Horse tastes good. As does sheep.

It is regrettable that some animals died in the filming of the hobbit but shit happens. Birds are killed by cars on a daily basis, should all cars that have struck birds be removed from the road? Planes occasionally strike birds, should all flight paths known to have ever struck birds be cancelled?

A film the size of the hobbit cost millions. Whilst it is all well and good to go "CANCEL IT! INNOCENT HORSES DIED TO MAKE THIS FILM" it is also incredibly incredibly stupid. The damage that the studio would face if it cancelled its entire multi-million dollar enterprise would be immense, people would lose jobs, it would be hell.

Sorry, sometimes people need some perspective. Whilst the accidental deaths of animals is regrettable and preventable, it doesn't actually matter that much. It genuinely annoys me when people get so angry about a few horses or a fucking chicken. People matter more, lots more.

Well, that's my two cents on the issue.

I think its about time everyone took a step back, breathed deeply and actually thought about what they were saying.
I thought about what I'm saying, I just value horses more than people. People have treated me like crap, horses have treated me kindly, thus horses on higher on the value list for me.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Tanis said:
PETA murders THOUSANDS of animals each year...

They have NO RIGHT to ***** about 27.
I'm not sure why so many people on this thread think that matters.

What about those of us that DON'T kill thousands of animals each year? Can we complain about it?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I dont personally care for LotR regardless, so whileI wont be seeing the movies, PETA cant claim it as a victory for them.

... still, youd think you would at least film makers would take a bit more care than this. I dont personally live on a farm so i dont know the cost but I cant imagine horses are cheap.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Sylveria said:
I wonder how many animals PETA killed this month.. Probably more than 27.
this was my first thought as well. PETA would have to do a total heel face turn before anything they do has crdability

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
So yeah, PETA pisses me off with this kind of bullshit, but I can't help but be equally as disgusted with comments along the lines of "It's worth it for this movie" or "Chewing a pig as I type this."

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
[HEADING=1]
SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT ESCAPISTS!​
[/HEADING]

If your dog and a human are drowning in a pool the majority of you choose to save your dog, because apparently animals can be as important as humans.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.386360-Poll-Your-Pet-is-Drowning-and-so-is-a-Stranger?page=1

But then when 27 animals die unnecessarily in the production of a film you suddenly don't care because they're just dumb animals like the ones we kill every day for food. Fuck PETA.

So I ask you this, would you care if 27 humans died unnecessarily in the production of The Hobbit out of sheer negligence?

(btw I'm not defending PETA, I don't really care about them one way or another.)

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
PETA PETA... All your intentions are commendable, honorable,and righteous. But you create such a clusterfuck to make a point, so much damage that doesn't really help your cause, so much noise, you're just downright such a PAIN IN THE ASS that even when you're 100% right everyone consider you're wrong. Simply because that's you speaking. PETA, your protection is making everyone go the other way and cause more damage to nature, simply because that gets you so pissed. You're hated PETA, you're HATED. There's also all the talk about the very organization being responsible for the death of animals, and that's a fact, after all, every time you sabotage an oil plant, animals die and even HUMANS might die, so just leave PETA, you crossed the line the divided fighters and terrorists.

Funny, they're extremists but they have clothes, they have a place to stay, even if those are hand made by them, somewhere somehow they are subsiding that which they fight against, maybe the coloring of their clothing, maybe the guy that does the clothing likes to eat tons of bacon, and so on. They are terrorists and they lack vision of the OBVIOUS

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
[HEADING=1]
[/HEADING]

If your dog and a human are drowning in a pool the majority of you choose to save your dog, because apparently animals can be as important as humans.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.386360-Poll-Your-Pet-is-Drowning-and-so-is-a-Stranger?page=20#15406989

But then when 27 animals die unnecessarily in the production of a film you suddenly don't care because they're just dumb animals like the ones we kill every day for food. Fuck PETA.

So I ask you this, would you care if 27 humans died unnecessarily in the production of The Hobbit out of sheer negligence?

(btw I'm not defending PETA, I don't really care about them one way or another.)
I believe everyone here is pointing that they hate PETA, not that they're ok with 27 animals going 6 feet under. Thing is, PETA will claim anything to get their way, if your neighbor is PETA, and your dog dies of old age, the fucking asshole might say you poisoned your dog, just to get his pals spray painting your house, because, hell, maybe he just never liked you.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Milanezi said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
[HEADING=1]
[/HEADING]

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.386360-Poll-Your-Pet-is-Drowning-and-so-is-a-Stranger?page=20#15406989

I believe everyone here is pointing that they hate PETA, not that they're ok with 27 animals going 6 feet under. Thing is, PETA will claim anything to get their way, if your neighbor is PETA, and your dog dies of old age, the fucking asshole might say you poisoned your dog, just to get his pals spray painting your house, because, hell, maybe he just never liked you.
Trust me it's not everyone. Try reading the comments, some of them are about PETA, but a lot of them are simply dismissing the deaths of 27 animals as uninmportant or acceptable. Here, I'll make it easy for you.

afroebob said:
I go through that many animals just to eat dinner. So the fuck what?
Baron von Blitztank said:
Their sacrifice will not be in vain. We'll get a cool movie out of it!
Mr F. said:
The animals listed here are all pretty dumb. And, for the record, all shit I have eaten. Horse tastes good. As does sheep.

It is regrettable that some animals died in the filming of the hobbit but shit happens. Birds are killed by cars on a daily basis, should all cars that have struck birds be removed from the road? Planes occasionally strike birds, should all flight paths known to have ever struck birds be cancelled?

A film the size of the hobbit cost millions. Whilst it is all well and good to go "CANCEL IT! INNOCENT HORSES DIED TO MAKE THIS FILM" it is also incredibly incredibly stupid. The damage that the studio would face if it cancelled its entire multi-million dollar enterprise would be immense, people would lose jobs, it would be hell.

Sorry, sometimes people need some perspective. Whilst the accidental deaths of animals is regrettable and preventable, it doesn't actually matter that much. It genuinely annoys me when people get so angry about a few horses or a fucking chicken. People matter more, lots more.
And honestly I find myself agreeing with PETA here. According to everyone in this thread they're an evil organization, but coming from a bunch of people who seem okay with letting animals get killed for no reason that opinion means fuck-all to me.

But honestly, it's not even the lack of respect for other species that annoys me. It's the two-faced way this community seems to approach animal rights. As kuolonen pointed out this is a community that usually seems to have an almost bizarre affection for other species.

kuolonen said:
I came here expecting to read many many preaching posts about treatment of animals and yet find myself thoroughly underwhelmed by the amount of post in support of these animals. Is this really the same website where I found myself reading about people defending the the ethical treatment of cockroaches?

[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.387582-Researchers-Remotely-Control-Cockroaches-With-Electronic-Backpack?page=1[/link]
But I guess that all changes when it comes to things we like.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Perhaps we've read different articles but can someone tell me why we're talking about PETA when from what I read they have bugger all to do with this?

PETA are assholes as I've repeatedly said so stop involving them with things they don't have anything to do with. Oh yeah they're gonna protest, they always protest but they are not the ones who are claiming that something happened, they're just jumping on this after the fact.

CounterReproductive

Apr 9, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
All I got from this article was an apatite.
How in the name of your chosen god/belief system did you get phosphate based minerals out of this story ?

Apatite [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatite]

This is why spelling is important :p

Apologies to the dyslexic amongst us I couldn't resist

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I would normally be inclined to show at least a little concern at a story like this, right up until I saw PETA was getting involved.

I wonder what it says when your presence actually hurts the cause you're supposed to be fighting for.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
SpiderJerusalem said:
So far numerous major news sources have picked up the story that corrects the allegations. Including statements made by Jackson, Weta, Wingnut and the people who OWN the animals in question. Everyone denies PETA's bullshit.

What does Escapist do? Lifts it up into the head banner and refuses to even add into the article that the story is developing.

What's up, Jonathan Grey Carter? Was Peter Jackson mean to you once?
I really didn't get the impression that Carter was coming out in support of the Wranglers allegations, or Peta's response. He highlights that the animals had been moved and the conditions were no longer a problem. He even refers to "Everyone's favorite terrorist-funding, animal rights organization, PETA". To me that comes across as him being sarcastic towards them rather than supportive. What makes you think he was somehow either being vindictive or on some sort of vendetta against Peter Jackson? Sure he didn't update it with up to the minute breaking details on this story. Maybe he figured "Fuck it, I have more important shit to do, like go home and have thanksgiving dinner" or even "PETA = Derp. That's plenty on this subject".

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
PETA, you're drunk. Go home. PETA have done so much damage to vegans all around the world, when I think Vegan I think PETA: I think hypocrite, I think Eco terrorist, I think do some good for animals like RSPCA do. The only thing they have accomplished with this hobbit based news is rilling up their fans, they are preaching to a choir.

If they cared about animals they would save them and not kill them, The only good thing they have done here is free publicity for The Hobbit.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Isn't nearly every death "avoidable"?

Also, no one gives a shit what PETA thinks. It's getting to the point where if PETA objects to it, you can guarantee it's a witch hunt and absolutely nothing more. These people are so desperate for attention it's sad.