Wreck it Ralph 2

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I love the original film. Really great take on video games as well as nice character arc to a bad guy wanting to be good.

I'm hoping this is good, but the trailers are really kinda turning me off. A lot of it feels like constant references and Disney glorifying all of the fact it owns all these properties. The princess bit was alright I guess.

Also its ironic we're getting a film filled with constant references even though Ready Player One was 3 months ago. Even if that film was more focused around the notion of nostalgic properties in games, TV, film, etc.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Does anyone else really hate the logo?

Its a red app icon with a red notif icon that has small text it it, it's triggering my OCD and looks kinda fake.

Anyway, eh. I guess it's kinda cool to see all these properties and stuff but as I learned from Ready Player One, that shit can get tiring.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Okay, bear with me, but...am I the only one who's getting reminded of the Emoji Movie? And feel there's a double standard here in regards to product placement, where the Emoji Movie got shat on it for it, but this film still seems to be getting positive buzz?

I'm not talking about the actual quality/lack of it for the Emoji Movie (haven't seen it, so can't comment), but this does seem like the same basic principle. I can at least say that this film is made by Disney, and is advertising Disney things, but in a way, that kind of makes it worse. Like, is this a film, or a promotion?

Also, it seems like a lost opportunity to go into the Internet overflowing with Disney stuff and have nothing from Tron (not that I've seen anyway). I mean, if you want to promote your IPs Disney, would it be so hard to promote your more obscure ones?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Hawki said:
Okay, bear with me, but...am I the only one who's getting reminded of the Emoji Movie? And feel there's a double standard here in regards to product placement, where the Emoji Movie got shat on it for it, but this film still seems to be getting positive buzz?

I'm not talking about the actual quality/lack of it for the Emoji Movie (haven't seen it, so can't comment), but this does seem like the same basic principle. I can at least say that this film is made by Disney, and is advertising Disney things, but in a way, that kind of makes it worse. Like, is this a film, or a promotion?

Also, it seems like a lost opportunity to go into the Internet overflowing with Disney stuff and have nothing from Tron (not that I've seen anyway). I mean, if you want to promote your IPs Disney, would it be so hard to promote your more obscure ones?
I don't think it's quite the same. There's definitely a hint of what you're mentioning though. It does feel a bit sellout-ish with all the meme jokes and self-aware humor that has popped up on the net constantly.

Still, I think a big part of the Emoji backlash was people asking "What can someone possibly do with a movie about emojis?"

Wreck-it Ralph was about game characters, who may generally be shallow as far as characters go in the real world, but they're still characters. A movie about emojis on the other hand is kind of like making a movie about punctuation marks, only hipper and trendier in a "This is what kids love, right?" sort of way.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Oh boy. Disney sure loves... itself.

You know, the thing is, you could, potentially, make a really good comedy about a guy exploring the internet as if it was an actual place. But... that wouldn't be appropriate for children. In fact it would be the complete opposite of that. That sort of thing would need to be raunchy and dark and really, really risque. But it'd be a really good movie, y'all.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There is no greater love than the love of a mouse for its house.

You know, the thing is, you could, potentially, make a really good comedy about a guy exploring the internet as if it was an actual place. But... that wouldn't be appropriate for children. In fact it would be the complete opposite of that. That sort of thing would need to be raunchy and dark and really, really risque. But it'd be a really good movie, y'all.
It would have to be titled "Rule 34".

'Good' probably wouldn't be the proper descriptor, though.

/shudder

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
sageoftruth said:
Hawki said:

I don't think it's quite the same. There's definitely a hint of what you're mentioning though. It does feel a bit sellout-ish with all the meme jokes and self-aware humor that has popped up on the net constantly.

Still, I think a big part of the Emoji backlash was people asking "What can someone possibly do with a movie about emojis?"

Wreck-it Ralph was about game characters, who may generally be shallow as far as characters go in the real world, but they're still characters. A movie about emojis on the other hand is kind of like making a movie about punctuation marks, only hipper and trendier in a "This is what kids love, right?" sort of way.
In the end they are all product placement commericials at this point.

This, The Lego Movie The Emoji Movie, Ready Player One, etc.

This is what happens when the Gen Xers wants everything to be their childhood in the 1980s again.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Myria said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There is no greater love than the love of a mouse for its house.

It would have to be titled "Rule 34".

'Good' probably wouldn't be the proper descriptor, though.

/shudder
Believe me though there are pearls in the shitstained sea that is Rule 34...

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
sageoftruth said:
Hawki said:

In the end they are all product placement commericials at this point.

This, The Lego Movie The Emoji Movie, Ready Player One, etc.

This is what happens when the Gen Xers wants everything to be their childhood in the 1980s again.

While that's true for most, The LEGO Movie did still try to tell a compelling meta narrative and deconstruction on the whole Hero's Journey along with how imagination works. Which is why that film was pretty fantastic besides being just a film to promote LEGO.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Hawki said:

No, I've seen several people compare it to Emoji Movie. And that has me worried too along with Disney glorifying all of the properties its got.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
If they replaced the music for the large corporate fellatio with something far more ominous, I might be on board. But the music is nothing but happy childish wonder, which comes off a bit insidious and makes me feel a little nauseous thinking about it. It sets off a lot of inner alarms There are many reasons it would still be better than the emoji movie though.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Cinderella was gonna shank Vanellope with her broken glass slipper.

I fucking lost it at that and I hope it's good.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I really don't like the shift away from video games as the focus.

A lot of what I enjoyed about the first movie was the little video game references and cameos.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Huh. I didnt think this one warranted a sequel. I mean from what I remember the first one did really well, but there's been no buzz about the Wreck It Ralph franchise in years, and just personally I don't know anyone who saw it, let alone remember it.
It'd be like Frankenweenie 2 or something. Just such an odd dead franchise to bring back to life.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:

The guys who made sausage party are perfect for that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I didn't like the first movie, I like this even less.

Guys, the internet is not funny or even interesting. The stuff ON the internet is (or can be) funny and interesting. It'd be the same as 'Ralph breaks the TV' and he goes into TV Land or something. Or Radio Land, or Library Land.

And oh look, Disney princesses are made fun of. Gee, that's new. And not hypcritical at all coming from Disney, elbow nudging the Disney princess critics, saying 'God, these characters are dumb, RIGHT?', while at the same time marketing it to little girls, 'Oh but still buy that merch though, cuz look at the pretty dresses.'

I weep for animation.