Writer's block

Lambert1

Nov 3, 2017
Today I am looking at the forums and nothing is coming in my mind.Every writer struggles with writer's block.Fear,perfectionism,wrong timing etc. can be the reason.There may be many writers here. Do you ever suffer from writer's block?

Here are some of the solutions :
1.Read a book
2.Go for a walk
3.Read some inspirational quotes
4.Free write.
5.Write points
6.Listen to music
7.Talk with someone you are comfortable with.
6.Avoid distraction
7.Change your environment

How do you cope with such situation?

Mod edit: link removed

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I go on a motorcycle ride. Though I don't really write fiction. But when writing essays, if I didn't like a particular point I made or I didn't think I had explored an aspect of it enough, I'd go for a ride.

Some nice country road with enough bends and twists to keep it interesting, and hopefully less cameras or police so I could open it up a bit more to make those corners a lot more fun.

Assuming I still have a few weeks to turn something in, I might even go on a mini-vacay. Go hiking. Get away from the city for a bit.

Lambert1

Nov 3, 2017
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
I go on a motorcycle ride. Though I don't really write fiction. But when writing essays, if I didn't like a particular point I made or I didn't think I had explored an aspect of it enough, I'd go for a ride.

Some nice country road with enough bends and twists to keep it interesting, and hopefully less cameras or police so I could open it up a bit more to make those corners a lot more fun.

Assuming I still have a few weeks to turn something in, I might even go on a mini-vacay. Go hiking. Get away from the city for a bit.

Yes,It is good to do something like that to get your blood flowing.Running is also good.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Uh... this is an advertisement for the site linked to, isn't it?

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
I particularly like this guy's solution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5cJDkfgOKI

Often the hardest part is simply starting. Refining kind of follows naturally, thought telling yourself when good enough is good enough can be the second hardest part.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Music, games. Sometimes when its really bad, I can just try writing shit out, not the best mind, but its better than nothing. Thats why when you're in the mood you have to have your writing points already listed out and ready.

Jan 12, 2012
I think it was Burnie Burns who gave this advice on an old Rooster Teeth Podcast; put the thing in a drawer and walk away for a while. Might be a week, might be a month, might be six. When you come back to it, you read it with fresh eyes and see what mistakes you made trying to get where you're going. In the process of rewriting the old, the new flows out naturally.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Lately, talking with fellow writers has been my main solution. I have a buddy online who also writes and we both look forward to seeing what the other person produces. If I'm really stuck, I send him an E-mail, tell him about what I'm stuck on, and then we start brainstorming together. The best part is, just thinking about it with him gets me motivated, and motivation seems to be a major obstacle for me when I'm dealing with these kinds of problems.

He's also great with constructive criticism, and very generous with praise. Sometimes I just go back and read something he sent me about a story I wrote in the past. It reminds me that I'm working on something worthwhile, that will make other people happy.

If you can find someone like that, either in an online writing site, or at a writing workshop, it will be a huge boon to your productivity, and your daily mood.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Solution: Kill off the character you last wrote about. Spontaneously. As a joke to the chapter. Like, "AAH HEART ATTACK! It's Death note!"

Or have them kill someone. Cut the entire addition if you don't like the direction it goes.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Avnger said:
Uh... this is an advertisement for the site linked to, isn't it?
It always is. I don't think there's been a legit 'new user' in the last 6 months. All have been bots, or ad guys who post a few links, then never post again.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Gibbagobba said:
I particularly like this guy's solution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5cJDkfgOKI

Often the hardest part is simply starting. Refining kind of follows naturally, thought telling yourself when good enough is good enough can be the second hardest part.
Editing sure can help. Getting started is the hardest part for me - Not beginning the story, but actually sitting myself down to start writing. If I really need to get motivated, I'll jump back a few pages and start editing since it's easier. Once I get back to where I left off, motivation isn't a problem anymore since I'm already engaged.