Writer's Blockade

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Yeah but, if given the choice, I'm sure most everyone would just simply choose to bang their manic pixie dream girl.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Over time I've found the most effective motivation to be the deadline. If you know the next section is going live on Friday, whether it's nicely polished or just a pile of half-finished notes, you feel compelled to actually write something. My logic is that you can always go back later to change something if it doesn't work, granted that doesn't apply to a consistently rolling webcomic.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
You know what you need to combat writers block? A manatee tank with floating balls with random words printed on them. The manatee will select several balls at random, and you then write your story around them.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But...i don't want to choose between fun and responsibility. Isn't there a third option where we travel to the desert to consume conspicuous cacti and just allow whatever dribbles out our brains to be absorbed by those that require our absorption?

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
How can you have writers block when EverQuest Next was canceled just over a week ago?! That alone is enough material to push 2 months worth of comic gold. Touch in a bit about how Daybreak split their game H1Z1 (each now dubbed "H.5Z.5") for giggles.

Oh, and there's the whole Gawker with Hogan's sex tape. What, too easy to make tabloid jokes?

The Cuban trade agreement Obama is so sought after could have a Duke Nukum joke about finally releasing his cigar supply.

Come on! Be creative!

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Yup...
Either you throw darts until you hit something, or you frantically type and type on a idea until you're satisfied with it.
Well, that's what my experience is like.

Oooor... there is one last option. Your brain decided to grace your mind with flow and quality made of dreams.
But hey, who gets that? :p

(Well, I do, sometimes.)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
So true. Whenever I feel uneasy about what I'm writing, I just tell myself, "Just write it. You can fix it when you go back to do the editing."

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I owe my entire education to the latter motivation pictured.

The only thing not pictured is how difficult it can be to run after thirty plus hours without sleep.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Grey cleverly comes up with a 2nd metaphor so awful that the first one doesn't sound so bad anymore.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I don't know about that second metaphor. What if you're creatively constipated from consuming too much cheesy schlock? Might there be a creativity laxative somewhere?

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Most creative people I know take either a long shower or a big dump. Having a balanced diet kind of locks you out of the second option, though.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Third option: create a webcomic about writer's block to delay a deadline :^)

Deadlines are hell of a motivator though. I remember banging out 7500~ or so words on a project last summer because the project review was two days later and I wasn't even 1/3 of the way through at the end of two months.

It ended up being a major success, but ever since then I only ever write seriously when I can no longer escape the deadline :p

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
What if my muse IS that shambling abomination from the multi-planar spaces between angles? Lovecraftian horrors make excellent guides, what's that Yog-Sothoth? Enact an ancient rite that will open the gateway to higher and lower planes? Well... If you think it will help me write my next book!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
Oh, and there's the whole Gawker with Hogan's sex tape. What, too easy to make tabloid jokes?
Gawker trying to be a real news site is itself a joke.