WTF is wrong with game soundtracks?

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I think most game soundtracks are actually astoundingly meritorious artistically. HOWEVER. That isn't to say that I like all of the songs on every soundtrack that were or weren't written specially for the game. Usually if a game inculdes a track that wasn't written with the game in mind, ie an existing song by a band, I won't like it as much as the OST.

Sep 30, 2010
I can think of many great game soundtracks...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Yoshemo said:
DoPo said:
Proverbial Jon said:
DoPo said:
Just like this

However children only see the dolphins there. Or usually at least.
I had to look SOOO hard to actually see those dolphins. What does that say about me?
I don't know. I'm not a psychologist.

Does it make you feel better that I didn't see the dolphins for at least 2-3 minutes the first time I saw it? I was 14, by the way.
I actually am a psychologist and I still can't see the dolphins :p
Well, how does that make you feel? Can you then tell us about your relationship with your mother?

amidoingitright :)

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
DoPo said:
Just like this

I had to look SOOO hard to actually see those dolphins. What does that say about me?
Even looking really hard, I still can't see dolphins... what dolphins?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Navarone9942 said:
I think some peeps have misunderstood what I was getting at. Metropolis Street Racer (hints in the title) is a Racing game that focuses on making the player feel great since they are winning a race and performing sweet drifts and sweet jumps and other ?sweet? car related things... not a romance game or a Japanese visual novel but a RACING game and after hearing the tracks on Fuse a number of times, don't seem to mesh well into a racing soundtrack. As for Sonic Adventure 2 and the ?Give up the emerald or die, I don't love you? line, its not really the tone of the song or even the style, its more the ?Baby's first Gangsta Rap? subtext given by the fact the line states ?hand it over or DIE? when its featured in a game that centers on a blue hedgehog and his neon woodland entourage that seems weird.
So you want good examples that are from true games?

I think thats more than a few examples of how theres nothing wrong with game soundtracks... in modern times at least. By the way its no coincidence that most of theese games are from Capcom. Say what you like about thier storywriting, their soundtrack departments know thier stuff.

In all seriousness you came to the table with a game as old as i am, in a time where Japanese games often suffered translation errors.

And if you ever need to look for the creme de la creme of music in games ever again, i reccomend you bookmark this page [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/AwesomeMusic/VideoGames].

[sub]Sheesh, i really need to calm down when i get to a music topic thread.[/sub]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
MAUSZX said:
Asura's Wrath has the best soundtracks I heard in so many years
quoted for truth

OT: really, THAT'S your argument? the weak lyrics from a bad game. nothing is wrong with game sound tracks, anybody on this thread could fill page upon page full of tracks from games they like. besides, using a sonic game as a base line for anything is stupid at best

Yoshemo

Jun 23, 2009
DoPo said:
Yoshemo said:
DoPo said:
Proverbial Jon said:
DoPo said:
Just like this

I don't know. I'm not a psychologist.

Does it make you feel better that I didn't see the dolphins for at least 2-3 minutes the first time I saw it? I was 14, by the way.
I actually am a psychologist and I still can't see the dolphins :p
Well, how does that make you feel? Can you then tell us about your relationship with your mother?

amidoingitright :)
lol not even close

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
dessertmonkeyjk said:

Depends on the game I think. What do you usually hear in a rap song?
The Knuckles levels in Sonic Adventure apparently. Thing is...the music in the Knuckles levels is shite.

City Escape is where it's at!

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
anthony87 said:
The Knuckles levels in Sonic Adventure apparently. Thing is...the music in the Knuckles levels is shite.

Rolling around at the speed of sound. Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow!
Love that song so much.

OT:

Touhou music is amazing. Absolutely love it all. And if you don't like the original, I can almost guarantee you there's a remix out there that you'll love. There are so many good OSTs out there, it's not even funny. Bastion had an amazing OST. Serious Sam 3, REALLY good OST. Deus Ex: Human Revolution as well. Open your eyes OP.

targren

May 13, 2009
kortin said:
anthony87 said:

That game would have been so much better without all that other crap, if it was just more levels like City Escape.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
NinjaCatStudios said:
DioWallachia said:
Here is my solid counter argument:

YES! Iji is amazing!
Can also be used as a counter argument for saying that gamemaker games are bad.

OT

EDIT: Forgot how to work youtube videos.
Fixed for you.

But where is that thing you say that Gamemaker games are bad? Never heard of it before unless you mean the fact that the IJI author cant make this game to be available for Xbox Arcade and WII because there is no compatibility for Gamemaker.
That is fucking terrible, because IJI is my favorite game out of all the games i have played, it managed to top Legacy of Kain in term of awesome + manly tears and i am a Misantrope Supreme that shoulnt be caring for another human being but here is IJI for me to proove me wrong. If i were Bizzaro Yathzee IJI will probably be my Dizzy World and Legacy of Kain would be my Prince of Persia.........in fact, PoP and LoK games are similar in a way.

Mmm........someone was taking notes from each other.