X-Com Can't even do the first mission on Classic difficulty

Tomaius

Jan 25, 2012
I'm serious, I can't do the first mission without the Aliens getting lucky and popping a member or two of my team. The few times I've cleared the first mission in the game I've ended up with some horrible base and had to restart. And I wouldn't say I'm bad at the game either I already finished the game on normal, albeit with save scumming. I always leave my units in full cover, which the Aliens seem to delight in disintegrating.

The enemy just keeps getting spawny luck, if they hit its always a critical. My shots always seem to miss, overwatch is useless.

What should I do? Embrace the loss and move on or keep trying till I can simultaneously get a great base and let all my squad members live?

Tomaius

Jan 25, 2012
SpunkeyMonkey said:
Thanks. The whole inch forward thing I appreciate, but its when Sectoid's seem to be able to critical hit my squad even in full cover and I can only ever seem to get 65%/45% accuracy on my shots.

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
Tomaius said:
SpunkeyMonkey said:
Thanks. The whole inch forward thing I appreciate, but its when Sectoid's seem to be able to critical hit my squad even in full cover and I can only ever seem to get 65%/45% accuracy on my shots.
Hunker down is gold when it comes to classic difficulty. Hunker increases the cover save and removes the crits ( Which pretty much axes down your early game squaddies like flies.)

In all honesty? When you play Classic, don't expect the percentages to work in your favor AT ALL. Don't even bother to take shots that have less than a 70% hit chance.. Leap frog with hunker downs and overwatching, then flank.

Also, sectoids have an innate aim bonus due to the increase in difficulty and their plasma pistol weaponry ( i think ) which is why it seems they are able to snipe your units across the board when aided with mind-meld ( All these bonuses do stack, probably giving them a minimum 80% hit chance )

The early game is WAAAY harder than the lategame for classic. Spam your grenades till no tomorrow, things will get better ( hopefully ) once the mutons roll out.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Engage slowly, stick to full cover, and toss grenades like their confetti. Yes, it'll slow your initial research if you overdo the explosives, but if you can nuke three sectoids in one go, do it. Also, flanking. Always look for the flanking shot. And lastly, overwatch is your friend. Hunker down is case specific; if you have one squaddie all by their lonesome, with three aliens able to take shots, hunker+full-cover is gonna be a requiremnet. Any other time, overwatch on the bad shots to control alien movement. Overwatch when you can't see any aliens to try and get some cheap damage in.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Did they fix the teleporting bug for the PS3?
I made it fairly far, heavy floaters far, on an ironman classic, but got butchered but teleporting packs all of a sudden. (Not their boost technique, but really them appearing out of thin air on top of my mans..)

Anyway, be methodical, the gun on wheels is pretty good (twice the HP of recruits and panic / mind control proof), get 6 man squads fast.

Don't be afraid to pull back when engaged to lure the aliens into a bad position and or overwatch fire.

Grenades are boss for taking out their cover, and Alien grenades can take out the snakemen in one lob.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The advice I got for Classic was (in terms of combat):

- Never dash.
- Do not aim to explore another area once an alien group has been discovered. Deal with them first.
- Always go into over-watch if you are not shooting (one reason for why you don't dash).
- Use explosives liberally, you still get lots of alien weapon fragments anyway.
- Always stick to full cover rather than half cover (although to be honest on some maps this is difficult).

That's pretty much it for the start. Later on there was advice one once you start having unit classes, as well as base building tips and such. There are some really good guides/tips out there, it might be worth googling for them.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Two things that really worked wonders for me is hunker and flank. I took those things for granted during my normal play through. Get your toughest guy to take full cover in plain sight and hunker down and hope for the best. One guy gets injured but it's the safest way to get the job done.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Most things have been said, so let me just add a couple of things:

- if you haven't triggered any aliens, you will not be shot on your turn even if you trigger aliens, and if you run into a patrol, they won't shoot you before the next turn after that. You can, and should, abuse this mechanic like shit, because it means that when you're out of combat, you can.. ah, screw it, just watch Beaglerush's videos for an explanation [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh26HyUe3po], as well as overall tips on how to do things.

- Avoid prolonged firefights. Ideally you don't want any of your crew members to get shot at, because that's a risk that the gods of RNG decide to kill you with a bad dice roll. If you need to draw fire or bait some aliens in, try to bait with a squadmember hunkering down in heavy cover, as that makes him/her almost impossible to hit. Some aliens will waste a turn on this, others will just not take the shot and move around, hopefully to a more vulnerable position. When you're free to move in and shoot them, do so.

- For most of your crew, you're going to want them completely out of line-of-sight if possible, as it means they won't get shot and are far more free to try flanking maneuvers. This isn't always possible, so stick to heavy cover in all other cases. Also, unless you have a smoke grenade or use hunker down, don't use light cover. It's a measly 20% hit reduction chance, whereas heavy cover is a 40% reduction, and sight-blocking cover means you can't get shot at all.

- Grenades are lifesavers early on if you use them right. A single grenade will, on classic, insta-kill all sectoids in its blast radius. This means that, as long as you have someone with a grenade within throwing range of the sectoids and don't trigger a new pack of aliens on your turn, you can let everyone take bad percentage-shots on the sectoids in an attempt to kill them, or even move into a flank where they themselves would be out of cover, and then take a shot at the sectoids. The reason for this is simple: if your guys hit their shots, you don't have to use the grenade, but even if they miss their shots, you're guaranteed to kill the sectoids in question anyways, so you're not taking any risks at all.

The first three months of the game are, without any doubt, the hardest. If you choose the right abilities for your soldiers, don't let panic get too high and don't lose your entire high-level squad for some reason, you'll probably win. As for the abilities, I don't necessarily agree with the builds posted in the guide in the first reply here(Suppression is not a "situational ability", it's a goddamn useful all-purpose ability), but they're functional at the very least.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
If you're talking about the latest X-Com then...

1) Just be a pussy. Never advance by dashing. Move exceedingly slow from cover to cover even if it takes you 20 turns to clear a map. Set up a firing squad in cover then have one guy run forward then back if he finds an alien to draw it towards you.

2) Always be in hard cover unless you absolutely can't help it.

3) Spam satellites and immediately research lasers. The game will probably be pretty difficult for the first hour or so then start to even out rapidly as long as you upgrade your weapons and income.

4) If you have that bad of luck on your first mission that you still can't get past it. Restart. The game saves the random number seed so bad luck will always repeat itself and the only way to break it on the first mission is to restart.

Playing on the hardest mode in the new X-Com is more an exercise in patience than in tactics and strategy. Although I guess what you research and build in your base is pretty important. But the actual combat is pretty rudimentary.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Jemmer17 said:
I know this thread has not been touched on in a long time but I seriously cannot get past the very first mission at all. I inch forward use cover as much as possible and the aliens always kill one of my squad members on the very first turn after they are spotted, this last game I played they killed the 1 squaddie I had in full cover. Their shots seem to hit about 80 percent of the time and often kill them in one hit.
It's called classic for a reason. In old school X-com, aliens would often one-hit-kill you from off screen as soon as you opened the door of the transport ship.

I've not completed classic, but I've got a little further than you have.. One tactic which helps me is to pick a guy to be on point and always move him or her first. Don't ever let anyone else get ahead of the pointman or too far behind. That way, the pointman should trigger alien patrols with the first action, meaning you still have a whole turn to react and hopefully take them out before receiving any return fire (since the sectoids have shitty health).

At the end of the day though, not everyone has to survive. Rookie squadmembers are cheap.

Moderator edit: Thread locked to avoid further necro-ness.