X-Men: Apocalypse Adds Actor For Jubilee

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
X-Men: Apocalypse Adds Actor For Jubilee

Director Bryan Singer has revealed the identity of the actor playing Jubilee in X-Men: Apocalypse.

Not too long ago, Fox revealed that it's next X-Men film, X-Men: Apocalypse, would be adding a whole slew of new actors to play Nightcrawler. Yesterday, director Bryan Singer revealed that this new cast will be joined by one more actor who will be giving big screen life to yet another of Professor Xavier's younger students.

According to Singer, who made the reveal via his Instagram account, the new addition will be actor Lana Condor. Condor is being brought into the film to play the role of the mutant Jubilee. This will be Condor's first appearance in a major motion picture. Jubilee herself first appeared in X-Men comics in 1989 and was featured prominently in Fox's early-90s X-Men cartoon. Endowed with the ability to shoot multi-colored energy bursts from her fingertips, she's a major player in Marvel's ongoing female-led comic X-Men where she aids the team with her current set of vampiric superpowers.

In addition to the other newcomers, Condor will be joining a returning cast that will include James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult and Rose Byrne. Sadly, it was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140208-Jennifer-Lawrence-Leaving-Series-After-X-Men-Apocalypse>recently learned that X-Men: Apocalypse will be the last X-film for Lawrence, who will be moving on from the series after the movie wraps up filming. Apocalypse is currently slated to hit theaters on May 27, 2016.

Source: <a href=https://instagram.com/p/0qVuAKxDxJ/?taken-by=bryanjaysinger>Instagram

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
That's nice, but I think the question everyone is asking is, will they also maker her a vampire?

... Imagining Rogue and Jubilee having a suc... er 'power drain'... off.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
So is Jubilee actually in the movie this time?

I mean, I know she has scenes in the trilogy, but she's not really in the movies. I think TV Channel Boy and Dictation Girl get more screen time than Jubilee.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Scars Unseen said:
Vampiric superpowers? How the hell did she go from low level plasma bursts to that?
According to the wiki, she lost her mutant powers during "M-Day", became a tech hero as part of the New Warriors, then became a full vampire in X-Men Volume 3.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Scars Unseen said:
Vampiric superpowers? How the hell did she go from low level plasma bursts to that?
Knowing her from the 90s cartoons as a kid, I was also really surprised to hear that.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
she's been a vampire for since Curse of the Mutants which released in 2010, so even comic book readers aren't used to the idea of her being a vampire since she went from normal mutant to overpowered immortal mutant

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Sometimes I wish I had kept reading comics(I stopped sometime around 2000) so I could keep up with this shit, but they're such a horrible value these days. Seriously, I just looked up some prices, and they wanted to charge $4 for a digital version of a 19 page comic.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Secondhand Revenant said:
Scars Unseen said:
Knowing her from the 90s cartoons as a kid, I was also really surprised to hear that.
Me too, though not completely floored. I've learned that a lot of characters I grew up with have been...changed since I last heard from them.

Anyway, she looks the part I suppose. First time in a big film huh? Well, hopefully she knocks it out of the park. This is going to be the first time we get the 'original' X-Men in this new series, so first impressions are important.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I remember her from the cartoon, in the sense I remember her name and yellow trenchcoat. But I forget what her powers were. She seems to have played mostly a damsel in distress. Kind of like Rogue from the first movie, except all the time.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I remember her from the cartoon, in the sense I remember her name and yellow trenchcoat. But I forget what her powers were. She seems to have played mostly a damsel in distress. Kind of like Rogue from the first movie, except all the time.
She shot fireworks out of her hands and made electronics explode when she touched them for...whatever reason.

I think the fireworks were actually like...plasma blasts or somethin? But I distinctly remember them lookin like fireworks in the old cartoon, and it even made fireworks sounds.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Color Spray is a great spell, but having your mutant super power based on it is kinda lame. What is the point of adding more characters? Use the ones you already have?

UberThetan

Oct 6, 2014
I would post about how I don't get the excitement about the mutant that shoots fireworks from her hands that never had any effect but it looks like, in the first page already, I'd be beating a dead horse.

So I'm not going to.

But I guess that's why the vampiric superpowers were introduced.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
She shot fireworks out of her hands and made electronics explode when she touched them for...whatever reason.

I think the fireworks were actually like...plasma blasts or somethin? But I distinctly remember them lookin like fireworks in the old cartoon, and it even made fireworks sounds.
Yeah, it was very much a "I make fireworks from mah fingers!" kind of vibe in the cartoon. I dunno, I always thought she was a pretty useful member of the party, despite the fan hatred of her. Being able to produce blindingly bright, and deafeningly loud colors/noises in a combat situation is pretty damn useful if your team is equipped with protection. I dunno, maybe it's just the gamer in me, from decades of playing roleplaying games, and finding ways to use powers effectively, that I never saw her power set as useless. The writers never actually used them in an effective way, but that's not the same thing as her powers being useless. I look forward to her being shown to be an effective badass in the movie.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
shintakie10 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Yeah, it was very much a "I make fireworks from mah fingers!" kind of vibe in the cartoon. I dunno, I always thought she was a pretty useful member of the party, despite the fan hatred of her. Being able to produce blindingly bright, and deafeningly loud colors/noises in a combat situation is pretty damn useful if your team is equipped with protection. I dunno, maybe it's just the gamer in me, from decades of playing roleplaying games, and finding ways to use powers effectively, that I never saw her power set as useless. The writers never actually used them in an effective way, but that's not the same thing as her powers being useless. I look forward to her being shown to be an effective badass in the movie.
Oh most def. The problem was that her powerset was just never very useful against the opponents she was fighting. When your power is basically just a weakened version of Cyclops eye beams then you have a serious problem when you go up against an opponent that can actually take his eye blasts.

I did love that ridiculous yellow coat though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Happyninja42 said:
shintakie10 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
snip
snip
Oh most def. The problem was that her powerset was just never very useful against the opponents she was fighting. When your power is basically just a weakened version of Cyclops eye beams then you have a serious problem when you go up against an opponent that can actually take his eye blasts.

I did love that ridiculous yellow coat though.
Yeah but that's the thing though about the X-Men, all of them are one trick ponies. The easiest way writers show that a threat is actually dangerous, is to show that the one trick that particular X-Man has, is ineffective. *Cyclops shoots it, gasp* "It's resistant to my eye beams!!" *Wolverine tries to cut it* "It won't stay down! It just repairs itself and keeps coming!" Etc, etc. The strength of the X-Men, is teamwork. They can play off each others strengths and weaknesses. Jubilee by herself, yeah she's not going to be destroying armies, because her power set is just not very lethal. But lethal, doesn't always link to powerful. She's crowd control, she's the Controller to Wolverine's Scrapper, and Cyclops' Blaster archetypes. She could shut down that army, leaving them deaf and blind for long periods of time, while the X-Men go and do something else, or keep them occupied long enough to let the others escape, or systematically destroy said army with claws and eye beams. She's great for making huge ass distractions, maybe letting someone like Kitty Pride or Nightcrawler, slip into an area undetected, because the guards are too busy wondering what the fuck the sudden light show is about. All kinds of ways you could make her powers be useful as hell. But if all you are writing in your story is 'Graaah! Smash face!! Pew pew!! Punch em! Shoot em! Stab em!!" , then yeah, she's less useful.

Sorry but I'm a little biased I guess. xD I played a mage in World of Darkness on a website for like 2 years, and he mostly used his magic to create crippling light displays and sound buffers in the combat scenes. And the amount of dice penalties I would dish out to the enemies would make them almost zero threat, then my allies would clean up. So I take personal issue with the idea that Jubilee is useless. xD She's just not being given the chance to use her powers correctly.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
As a mutant, Jubilee generated brightly colored bursts of plasma energy which she could fire from her hands as balls, streams, or any other shape. They went wherever Jubilee desired, and exploded at her command. She could also absorb the plasma energy back into her body without harm. A point of interest about Jubilee's powers is that she could control the effect that they had on her desired targets. These power effects have been shown to blind and emit concussive force, burn and scald skin, detonate and disintegrate solid objects, and also shatter solid metal objects such as locks and bolts. Jubilee also possessed the ability to detonate matter at a sub-atomic level, essentially making her a walking atomic bomb.

According to Emma Frost, Jubilee was one of the most powerful mutants she had ever encountered, but noted that her fear of harming others kept her from using those powers to their full potential.
[footnote]http://www.comicvine.com/jubilee/4005-4562/[/footnote]

Jubilee also possessed the ability to detonate matter at a sub-atomic level, essentially making her a walking atomic bomb.

Yeah, just pretty fireworks go pop-pop-pop...until the day she goes medieval on someone. Or you know, a telepath like Emma Frost removes those pesky mental barriers and annoying morals.