X-Men: Days Of Future Past Goes Viral In Trask Industries Promo

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
X-Men: Days Of Future Past Goes Viral In Trask Industries Promo

Trask Industries builds deadly robots programmed to hunt down and eliminate mutants, but it also cares about you and your family (assuming you believe this new viral video promoting the next X-Men film).

X-Men: Days of Future Past is slated to hit theaters on May 23, 2014, so it should come as no surprise to see the producers of the film ramping up their advertising efforts. The latest ad spot for the movie is something of a stealthy promo. It's disguised as a corporate PR spot for Trask Industries, but as X-Men fans will tell you, there are only two things Trask Industries does well: Persecuting mutants, and building deadly, deadly robots.

You'll see a few of those 'bots in the clip, but be warned, they aren't much like their comic book inspiration. Where those Sentinels were building-sized behemoths capable of firing off massive payloads of rockets, lasers and whatever else any given comic book artist thought it might be fun to draw, these latest models are far more humanoid. Honestly, they look like the lovechild of the T-800 Terminator, Johnny 5 and an Audi R8.

That said, and for all the gloss applied to this spot, it has a delightfully sinister tone toward the end. When the Sentinels eyes light up, it's hard not to immediately picture the thing punching Wolverine through a wall, or earning god-tier status in a Capcom fighting game. Sure, it's not the hulking brute of the comics, but there's something even more worrisome about a human-sized, malicious automaton. Hand that thing a sawed-off shotgun and drop it into the same nightclub as Michael Biehn circa 1984, and you've got a recipe for a solid action flick.

Expect more advertisements for X-Men: Days of Future Past to appear with increasing frequency over the next few months. Advertising teams love this viral ad business, so it seems likely that we'll see other spots like this, perhaps focusing on the educational benefits of Xavier's School for Gifted Children, or extolling the delicious taste of Labatt's Blue (the drink of choice for nigh-immortal Canadian antiheroes).

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92YBR9gEyYI#at=30]

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
Earnest, look on the website (linked in the YouTube video description box!!): http://www.trask-industries.com/#/innovation It says the robots are 18 feet tall. So they are like in the comics! >.<

Game AIR QUOTES! journalism AIR QUOTES!

10/10 would read again.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Reeve said:
Earnest, look on the website (linked in the YouTube video description box!!): http://www.trask-industries.com/#/innovation It says the robots are 18 feet tall. So they are like in the comics! >.<
And at 0:29 that robotic love child does look rather large. And I don't think it's just from perspective.
and was this really necessary?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm hoping they can have another good movie like First Class. The second Xmen film was the only good one and I'm not anxious to sit through another slog of a boring ass movie where 20th Century Fox makes liberal use of the license in completely uninteresting ways.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wonder how they will play it; 1 Sentinel that kicks ass or 100 that fold faster than Quicksilver on laundry day.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Teah i would feel insanelly safe while at beach being watched by a big giant purple Robot...
It's almost as worse as Big Brother.... no i take it back, it is worse

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
008Zulu said:
I wonder how they will play it; 1 Sentinel that kicks ass or 100 that fold faster than Quicksilver on laundry day.
I think that lends itself to the trope about there only being so much "ninja" or whatever to go around. The more ninjas you have, the more it has to be divided between, so the less potent it becomes. It lends itself to Bruce Lee being able to beat up a room full of ninjas without breaking a sweat, but as soon as he has to face off against a single ninja, the foe becomes more formidable. Something to do with all the "ninja-awesome" being harnessed by a single person.

A single unit will be a massive threat. A large number are fodder. It would be nice to have a single unit be devastating, be defeated, and then have our heroes turn a corner only to find droves more en route. You really get the hopelessness of it all. Assuming they don't then pull the "we've found the killswitch for all sentinels" trope.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
tdylan said:
A single unit will be a massive threat. A large number are fodder. It would be nice to have a single unit be devastating, be defeated, and then have our heroes turn a corner only to find droves more en route. You really get the hopelessness of it all. Assuming they don't then pull the "we've found the killswitch for all sentinels" trope.
Well they're made from metal. Magneto could crush them into can sized objects with a thought.

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
1. The original Mark I Sentinels were only about 8-10 feet tall so it's possible that this will be their size (and probably easier to do). Or, they may be the giant-sized ones. I'll probably be ok with either version

2. As for Magneto laying waste to them because of their metallic composition, I remember an episode of the 90's X-Men cartoon, where Magneto tried this, but the Sentinel informed him that this line of Sentinels were made from plastics and non-metals (which to my limited scientific knowledge sounds nigh impossible. How does one construct a robot that size without using metal?). If they go this route with the movie, it may be cool to see Magneto ripping up other metal items and flinging those objects at the Sentinel - impaling them with steel girders or, like in the cartoon, a barrage of steel rivets.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
gentlemanghost said:
1. The original Mark I Sentinels were only about 8-10 feet tall so it's possible that this will be their size (and probably easier to do). Or, they may be the giant-sized ones. I'll probably be ok with either version

2. As for Magneto laying waste to them because of their metallic composition, I remember an episode of the 90's X-Men cartoon, where Magneto tried this, but the Sentinel informed him that this line of Sentinels were made from plastics and non-metals (which to my limited scientific knowledge sounds nigh impossible. How does one construct a robot that size without using metal?). If they go this route with the movie, it may be cool to see Magneto ripping up other metal items and flinging those objects at the Sentinel - impaling them with steel girders or, like in the cartoon, a barrage of steel rivets.
I imagine we are less than a decade away from metal free machines. Structurally, we already have carbon fiber, fiber glass, polymers, etc... I think the most difficult thing would be a metal free computer, but it's the X-Men universe and Magneto is sort of a known entity. X3 had the nonmetal guns so presumably they've been preparing for this.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
The promo has a little bit of the "Viridian Dynamics" and the Deus Ex Human Revolution feel.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Reeve said:

10/10 would read again.
You know, it's possible to correct people without being a dick about it, especially considering you're likely consuming Escapist content for free.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to future ads. Hopefully it can live up to or surpass First Class.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
008Zulu said:
Depends on how many are on the scene during a given fight. Seems to me that the only added challenge in fighting 100 Sentinels versus fighting just a few is the extra clean-up afterwards.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I like these 4th-wall breaking viral marketing things for movies. One of the best ones was last year's Prometheus having that TED talk from the future, and ad for the David 7 series of androids, and a fully functional website for Weyland Industries!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Not to deviate from this, but isn't that the Tiger Woods logo at the end? I recall his lawyers going apeshit over an almost identical logo a few years back...