X-Play's 'new' Hands-On with Skyrim, not all it's cracked up to be...

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
See if you can tell what's fishy about the following video.

www.g4tv.com/videos/54813/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-hands-on-preview/

No, I'm not talking about Morgan's ridiculous Jessie J haircut, I'm talking about the fact that the game she's 'playing' is actually the same footage from the E3 demo of Skyrim.

What the eff? Shenanigans or is Bethesda simply not letting them show the real footage? If that's the case, why did X-Play even bother with this hands on? She tells us literally nothing about her experience and it just seems like a another outlet for Todd to stammer uncomfortably in front of a woman for about 3 minutes.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
G4 probably just decided that any "new" skyrim feature would attract a lot of views, therefore getting profit from it.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Ever since the first trailer I have been unable to see what the big deal about this game is. it looks the exact same as Oblivion.
Plus, X-play is a mess right now. All of G4 is.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I was wondering what you meant, then I fully read the entire thing. The game still looks fun, but there is indeed nothing new.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
The only reason I hate watch G4 anymore is E3. As for the video, they're just trying to get more views.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Drakmeire said:
Ever since the first trailer I have been unable to see what the big deal about this game is. it looks the exact same as Oblivion.
That part of your comment I emboldened is just crazytalk.

Also, what's going on with G4 and X-Play? I haven't had either provided with our cable package lately, so I have no clue.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Drakmeire said:
Skyrim is practically a religion around here. You're probably gonna get a LOT of hate on these boards for those words friend.

Not from me though. I agree wholeheartedly. Then again, I've never enjoyed a TES game before. I don't begrudge those that do, it's just not for me.

OT: I can't fathom why they would be passing off the demo as new footage. It's almost certainly not Bethesda doing that, because even if the gameplay footage looked horrible the game would still sell like a solid gold autographed Dark Side of the Moon record. I think ultrachicken hit the nail on the head up there.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
King of the Sandbox said:
Drakmeire said:
That part of your comment I emboldened is just crazytalk.

Also, what's going on with G4 and X-Play? I haven't had either provided with our cable package lately, so I have no clue.
I will defend my right to say that I don't think the game looks special. To me it just looks like Elder Scrolls IV but with dragons and prettier building. I respect anyone else's right to say that it's the greatest game ever but I will never understand them. much like how I think the gameplay on the new Devil May Cry looks great and I don't mind the new Dante as long as he develops as a character.
Can you blame me? The stuff I get excited for looks like this.
<youtube=O5JDdb3ksF4>
As for X-play, it has the problem with trying to pack ALL the game related things the network used to have into one hour, so you end up with interviews about games with the developers which are never a good thing because they just hype up things that are barely there and always promise the game won't suck (Spoiler:When they say that, it always does) , Previews of EVERYTHING and very short, uncreative reviews that that lack the charm and humor of the classic reviews that make up only about %5 of the show

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Drakmeire said:
Ok, I don't wanna derail this with talk of x game looks better than x game, but to say that Skyrim looks EXACTLY like Oblivion is just flamebaiting. The design, characters, everything have all been redone completely, thus leading me to describe your comment as crazy talk.

As for x-Play, that's sad to hear... when they left our cable provider a couple years ago, I was noticing a sharp degradation of their material. Sad to hear that it wasn't a passing trend.

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
I saw this posted on the Skyrim forums yesterday and the general reaction was pretty much the same. I have no doubt that she actually played the game and that she got to see tons of features we have no clue about yet, but Bethesda is still trying to keep a lot of info about the game under wraps still.

As to why it happened, it's just a PR thing to create more hype. Although, I don't think there's enough gamers that are on the fence about Skyrim to bother targetting them.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
King of the Sandbox said:
Drakmeire said:
Ok, I don't wanna derail this with talk of x game looks better than x game, but to say that Skyrim looks EXACTLY like Oblivion is just flamebaiting. The design, characters, everything have all been redone completely, thus leading me to describe your comment as crazy talk.

As for x-Play, that's sad to hear... when they left our cable provider a couple years ago, I was noticing a sharp degradation of their material. Sad to hear that it wasn't a passing trend.
I think he meant more of an all encompassing remark, like: "this game looks [like it plays] the same as Oblivion", rather than simply the quality of the visuals, which is a little harder to call crazy talk. Most of those games played about the same as the next, even the player interface is similar...that's not a bad thing, it's just the kind of game it is, and if you don't like it, that's how it goes.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
sravankb said:
This was the first time I watched some Skyrim footage and I can tell you, for a fact, that they rehashed the design of a few of the dragons from the Monster Hunter series -
thats not really fair that style of dragon has been around for years in various fantasy outlets for example dragon whelp in MTG.

OT:

I have never really been all to interested in the elder scrolls either I mean I really want to give one a chance eventually but I am not about to drop full game price on somthing that isnt saints row, batman, or mgs

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
sravankb said:
This was the first time I watched some Skyrim footage and I can tell you, for a fact, that they rehashed the design of a few of the dragons from the Monster Hunter series -

and

They both look like Dragons to me, but I guess it's just 2000 years of european folklore that ripped off Monster Hunter as well.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
They look like crappier versions of the dragon from Dragonslayer, that movie was awesome. And like 30 years old. That bottom one looks like it stole a T-Rex head.

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
sravankb said:

and

If you're trying to impress upon me that this game will pretty much be Monster Hunter in the Elder Scrolls universe.... THEN THEY CAN HAVE MY MONEY!

I've put so much time into both games that it just sounds even better now.