Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
RandV80 said:
canadamus_prime said:
oliver.begg said:
canadamus_prime said:
Desert Punk said:
canadamus_prime said:
Is it just me or would these apologies be unnecessary it more effort was put into Q&A prior to launch? I mean it's great that he's owning up and whatever, but I see this as a problem that could've been prevented.
One would think that with 7 years in development that they would have devoted atleast a few months to some basic QA.
Wait 7 YEARS??? It was in development 7 years and it still came out buggy as hell? That's got to be some kind of crime.
not really. its almost ceratin that they have had at least 2 versions that have been almost completely scraped

its also a almost comepltely new engine, with multicore support and a new graphics render system.

thats several years work alone
Still in 7 years there should've been plenty of time to do some Q&A. Of course that still begs the question as to why they or any other company would knowingly release a game in such an incredibly buggy state.
Revenue is important, and angry fans can be pacified if you get the game working quickly enough.
Which is another thing that saddens me. Why do we just roll over and accept this?

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
This is why publishers should stop putting absurd deadlines for games, you get shitty launches such as this, Rome 2, Aliens: CM and more. Or whatever lead up to the crappy launch of this game.

Deep Silver, you know better than this.

Adraeus

Sep 6, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
Is it just me or would these apologies be unnecessary it more effort was put into Q&A prior to launch? I mean it's great that he's owning up and whatever, but I see this as a problem that could've been prevented.
canadamus_prime said:
Still in 7 years there should've been plenty of time to do some Q&A. Of course that still begs the question as to why they or any other company would knowingly release a game in such an incredibly buggy state.
Q&A = Questions & Answers

QA = Quality Assurance

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Adraeus said:
canadamus_prime said:
canadamus_prime said:
Q&A = Questions & Answers

QA = Quality Assurance
Whatever. I think you know what I meant.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Glaice said:
This is why publishers should stop putting absurd deadlines for games, you get shitty launches such as this, Rome 2, Aliens: CM and more. Or whatever lead up to the crappy launch of this game.

Deep Silver, you know better than this.
After 7 years in development hell Deep silver was more then in the right to finaly demand a product.

At this point they where throwing money at a burning fire in order to put it out.

Its a wonder that deep silver didnt canned the entire project.. but i guess they did count on the fanbase buying the game hand over fist without waiting for reviews comming in.

It was also rather telling that something wasnt right from the game trailers and Dev videos. The only things they ever showed was how flashy the game is and how combat looked.

They never really adressed trading or station/cap ship building or how to interact with your own fleet.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
"Don't preorder" has pretty much become "don't buy on launch" these days.
I loved the earlier x games, this just makes me sad

Adraeus

Sep 6, 2013
Karadalis said:
Its a wonder that deep silver didnt canned the entire project.. but i guess they did count on the fanbase buying the game hand over fist without waiting for reviews comming in.

It was also rather telling that something wasnt right from the game trailers and Dev videos. The only things they ever showed was how flashy the game is and how combat looked.
There was one review from a major, or major-ish, outlet: Rock, Paper & Shotgun. Leading up to release, there were no let's plays, previews, or any sort of coverage beyond "this thing we made is coming out" announcements. There was no launch campaign and virtually no marketing. I'd wager that the team simply ran out of money, a likely consequence of an overly long development cycle.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Adraeus said:
Karadalis said:

There was one review from a major, or major-ish, outlet: Rock, Paper & Shotgun. Leading up to release, there were no let's plays, previews, or any sort of coverage beyond "this thing we made is coming out" announcements. There was no launch campaign and virtually no marketing. I'd wager that the team simply ran out of money, a likely consequence of an overly long development cycle.
There where Dev videos.. not many but like 2 or 3

None of them touched ANYTHING outside of fighting and what i can only describe as a heavily scripted demo level.

Thought they werent getting tired of showing how awesome the xbox controller was and how easaly you could fly your ship with it.

Oh and ofcourse how close you oculd get to space stations and cap ships with your own ships.

Also Cap ships are a joke now since even with your unupgraded ship you can take them out... thats not exactly something i expect when i think of "capital ship"

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sorry Egg, you had better thought about it before launch instead.

AdagioBoognish said:
Wow. I didn't know games like this existed, I've got some playing to do. After a search though, think I might wait and see what Star Citizen is like. Maybe try X3 since I've been reading that was really good.
Dont... start with this. Go back to X3 games instead.

Agayek said:
Be warned, if you've never played an X game, X3 is obtuse as fuck. They don't really explain anything in-game and you kinda just have to flail away at things until you figure it out. As a newcomer to the series, you probably don't want to start there.
I diasgree. I was a newcommer to the Xverse not long ago (X humblebundle!) and was advised to skip the first two due to very unwelcoming control scheme, so i cant compare as i did indeed at least delayed the old ones for now, but the X3 one... yeah there isn o tutorial, so i spent first couple hours (lets face it , couple hours in an X game is NOTHING) flying around trying to figure things out and why did i jtu exploded after exiting a gate (stupid game AI made AI hauler ram me in the back, woot woot) and it took some figuring out why does hull damage slow me down. BUt once i got there i figured out how the game worked (though admitedly i dont suggest googling much, pretty much every resource except Egosoft forums are kinda useless) and now i got over 100 hours in and enjoying it. The default key assigning is kinda shitty though and it sucks that i cant move the camera around without moving the ship but its small things to forgive. Id say X3 is where you do start. I never really understood the whole learning curve problem with this game. yeah it doesnt spoonfeed you everything, but its not like its spceship science or anything.

canadamus_prime said:
Which is another thing that saddens me. Why do we just roll over and accept this?
Because at the end of the day all gamers care about is new shiny toy every 2 weeks (study in UK found that on average a gamer goes though a game every 2 weeks).

Karadalis said:
Also Cap ships are a joke now since even with your unupgraded ship you can take them out... thats not exactly something i expect when i think of "capital ship"
Remmeber the starting buster on X3:R? I took on a argon capital ship with that thing, and lasted for like 30 minutes (though its low power meant i cant fire guns all the time, damn you lack power in these games). Thats because the AI was just spamming guns from all ports never hitting me. If i had big enough guns i would have won the fight. Eventually by pure chance i happen to fly right over a gun port when it fired and insta-death.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Haven't really encountered any bugs or crashes yet. I'm just hoping I can buy a capital ship and arm it with the best weapons and fighters.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Candidus said:
Like being able to choose from a vast number of ships*.
Able to chose yes, but according to what I have heard there was always a small group of "best choice" ships, and using anything else was kneecaping yourself for no reason other than to chalenge yourself. I don't see whats wrong with starting us in a decent ship when most people were just going to rush a M3+ anyways.

Why? So their unwelcome co-pilot can annoy you with something other than "NO SHUT UP BETTY".
Maybe I'm just odd, but that never annoyed me anymore than "The ARghun federation welcomes you!" every time I dock with a station in X3

Ahem, anyway... Like trading that consists of actual exploration and study rather than spoon-fed price comparisons with a system-wide average that you don't even have to work out on your own!
You mean I don't have to spend several hours docking with stations and wring down prices until I have amassed a small fortune and can actually buy the damn trade software? *shockhorror*

Like the massive reduction in scale-- do you know why people loved time acceleration? It wasn't to accelerate trade OR travel.
I loved how it finaly created a game where there is so much down time I can actually use the gaps to write a paper for school (and I got B, so apparently the game wasn't effecting my concentration much)

In my opinion, X Rebirth is X for ADHD suffering children who couldn't take the slow burn that the series has `always` been about.
Thanks for the insult. I keep them all in a little jar on shelf and occasionally laugh at them. But anyway one man's "slow burn" is another man's "I just spent ten minutes flying in a straight line with SETA and not interacting with the game at all, only to find the conflict I was investigating has ended leaving me with nothing but a longass trek back to a gatefuckthisimmaplayfreespace"

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
What's really annoying is that the press and community seems to have entirely overlooked the fact that Egosoft has went the 2K route and made a bunch of eastern countries part of Ru and CIS.

I understand those may be assigned by the MRP to russian 1C publishers, but there was barely any note on the steam page.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Agayek said:
AdagioBoognish said:
Wow. I didn't know games like this existed, I've got some playing to do. After a search though, think I might wait and see what Star Citizen is like. Maybe try X3 since I've been reading that was really good.
Be warned, if you've never played an X game, X3 is obtuse as fuck. They don't really explain anything in-game and you kinda just have to flail away at things until you figure it out. As a newcomer to the series, you probably don't want to start there.
Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Kinda sad to see this given how badly I wanted this to succeed, but then just about every X game seems to need a few months of fixes & mods to hit its prime.

Strazdas said:
it sucks that i cant move the camera around without moving the ship but its small things to forgive.
You actually can move the camera independently. Use the numpad (8462 to look around, 1 & 3 tilt the camera if you have it in 3rd person, 5 to reset the camera)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Strazdas said:
canadamus_prime said:
Because at the end of the day all gamers care about is new shiny toy every 2 weeks (study in UK found that on average a gamer goes though a game every 2 weeks).
Yes, I believe that's called instant gratification. No regard for the long term effects or what your giving up for the sake of that shiny new toy.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I was looking forward to this game, but somehow I knew this would happen. If the trailer looks too good to be true and there's no demo and no previews...

But really the trailer says it all. Basically it's pretending to be Star Citizen, but there's no way a dedicated, but amateurish developer like Egosoft could pull off something on that scale.

Maybe in a few months it will be something playable. But I still think it's a very undue move by Egosoft to deceive fans with such an awesome trailer when they must be very aware of the products' problems.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I didn't buy or play it myself, but the opinion on the street seems to be almost universally unfavorable.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Was really very close to buying this day 1, glad I didn't. Looks like I'm waiting for a steam sale!