X&Y or ORAS? (pokemon of course!)

RomanceIsDead

Aug 19, 2011
I played every gen of pokemon up to black and white 1. So I've taken a bit of a break and Im wondering which is better to play first? Thoughts?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Honestly, play X or Y first to get used to the new mechanics that were added into the game as well as the new typing. After that, jump into Pokemon OR/AS to be caught up just fine. You can pretty much jump into OR/AS right after you defeat the Elite Four in X/Y honestly, because X/Y's post game is a joke with almost nothing interesting or fun to do, especially when compared to other post game experiences the Pokemon series has done.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
You should probably play Black and White then. :p (if you meant that you skipped the 5th gen of course.)

Anyway, while Neronium brings up a good point about learning all the new mechanics in X and Y first, I feel as though ORAS is a better game. Though I still really enjoyed X and Y despite it's glaring flaws. Mainly the lack of a post game and a kind of boring story. Though the story may just seem boring since the 5th gen stories were so good.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Honestly, X is the best Pokemon game I've ever played.

Omega Ruby is pretty good, but the Experience share issue is more pronounced in that one, and I don't think you'd fully appreciate the changes made to it unless you played both a Gen 3 game and X or Y first.

So I suggest playing X or Y first. The amount of pokemon you can get for your team in the base game alone is staggering, I personally enjoy the pacing way more in terms of progression from location to location, you pick up both a Kalos and a Kanto starter before your first gym, and if you're going to get to grips with the new Fairy type, the game is structured around it.

Compared to Omega Ruby. I'm not bashing it in any way, but it kind of assumes you've played X already, so doesn't go into as much depth with what fairy types are, or why Mega Stones are a thing.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
X/Y because you probably already know the plot in ORAS (not that XY's is very good either). Also you can capture the latest generation Pokemon and a lot of Pokemon from different generations (which is something I liked, because of the improvement on graphics and animation from BW to XY and ORAS is really noticeable).