X3: Albion Prelude Coming Next Week

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
X3: Albion Prelude Coming Next Week

X3: Albion Prelude, a surprise addition to the sprawling X series of space sims, is coming next week.

The X universe, as mentioned in our recent Space Sim Timeline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9228-From-X-Wing-to-X3-Space-Combat-Sim-Timeline.5], is a massive, breathtakingly beautiful game series in which players explore, trade and battle in everything from single-seat fighters to huge capital ships across a galaxy riven by tension and strife. It's an acquired taste with a pretty harsh learning curve but it's a great ride for folks who enjoy deep, complex space sims, and now a new addition to the franchise is on the way that will bridge the gap between the old X universe and the new one that's coming.

X3: Albion Prelude sees the long-simmering conflicts of the X universe explode into full-scale war, while corporations vie for power and control over a coming new technology that will allow "highways in space" and lead to unprecedented economic expansion. The game will carry the series from the most recent release, X3: Terran Conflict [http://www.amazon.com/X3-Terran-Conflict-Gold-Windows/dp/B002V8KA72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323281921&sr=8-1], to the upcoming X: Rebirth, when the accelerator technology is finally working and the galaxy as we know it is changed forever.

The new X3 title will feature a brand-new plot based around an epic corporate struggle during a time of war [which, if we're being honest, most of us will just ignore anyway], 30 new ships and stations, a new Stock Exchange feature for "advanced investment strategies," improved visuals, a better user interface and more. Alas, Albion Prelude will not be compatible with saved games from X3: Terran Conflict.

X3: Albion Prelude [http://www.egosoft.com/games/x3ap/info_en.php], which as far as I know wasn't on anyone's radar until today, will be available through Steam on December 15. Gamers who buy or already own the X: Superbox will be able to download it at no charge and it will also be available in a bundle with X3: Terran Conflict. A Mac version is coming soon to the Mac Appstore and Deliver2Mac.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
X3 TC was pretty cool. I'd been keeping my eyes on rebirth, but lets just say this one popped up out of no where. That worries me a little bit-- last time I bought a game that popped up like this it had been released as an emergency "keep us afloat" product and was in pretty rough shape. I don't think egosoft is there, but I'll keep my eyes open for reviews after the 15th.

Edit*:

Note: This is not a full game-- its an add in to TC; something I didn't exactly grasp from the article. Its only 10 pounds or so, so that is a cool thing. Looking forward.

From the egosoft news release on the Stock Exchange feature:

The Stock Exchange is by no means a sure thing for making credits; you can lose them just as fast as making them if you don't invest wisely. The more 'THINK' you put into your investments the more credits you are likely to make. Working out just when to buy and when to sell is all part of the experience when trading, just like any other trading part of the game. You can buy and sell Commodity shares, which are the normal wares that are in the game, like e-cells and Maja Snails etc, and the share prices are based on the actual in-game supply and demand for these wares.
While this might sound a little dry, what this most likely means is that I can buy up a lot of shares of a glutted comodity, buy up a few freighters full of them, then potentially spend a few hours destroying all freight traffic that is carrying that commodity, driving up the price and making out like a bandit. I never had a reason to bother with extensive piracy prior previously, because becoming a construction baron was so much more lucrative.

Oh I hope it works.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
"To come out of nowhere" does not begin to design this...

Well, i had been looking for an excuse to dust off once more into a space sim, maybe exploring this new addition to X3 and its inevitable expansion patches can do that.

Oh and the mods, Skyrim wont have shit on what theese games get modded with.

Though i hope they didnt kill off the Kingdom End nividium mine.

EDIT: Can anyone send me the Steam store page? I cant seem to find it yet.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Well that's a pleasant surprise. Sadly the release date is not so much. If it came out today i would probably buy it instantly but... SW:ToR early access starts about same time so i suppose it will wait for it's turn. Then again X was never series to hurry to, more of something You savour over long periods of times.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I was gonna download tc again thing i'll hold off a week now! :D Actually to hell with it i still will.

Apr 28, 2008
Bitchin'

Picked up the Superbox during Steam's summer sale for, like $5. Kind of felt like I robbed them blind. The games are fun.

And now I get this for free as well. As I said, bitchin'.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I couldn't really get into Terran Conflict. There was just too much busywork to do in comparison to too little action, and this is coming from someone who enjoys empire management.

When I just wanted to hunt pirates, the enemies rapidly ranked up their gear well beyond my ability to catch them (and NOBODY sold the missiles my craft was compatible with; the only things that could catch them).

Toning down the scale just a hint would work wonders for the game if it means giving the player some sense of direction, though I imagine that would detract from the fun of conquering everything you see...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I tried to get into X3, but it felt too... clinical.

I'm really liking the preview info on X:Rebirth, so I've high expectations from the sequel.

I mean, finally they got back the cockpit view!

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/features/Highway.jpg

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
I'am going to need to clear my schedule for the next months now....

If you havent played an X game and you thought Skyrim/daggerfall was big, you haven't seen anything yet.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Will be sincerely disappointed if I'm excluded from the whole "Enjoy your free game" thing just because I didn't buy the Superbox, even though all the other X games sit in my library with a hell of a play time on each of them.

Regardless, I'll still jump at the chance to give Egosoft more of my money. They deserve it.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
A new X game? Two of them!? And is that-

Andy Chalk said:
Gamers who buy or already own the X: Superbox will be able to download it at no charge and it will also be available in a bundle with X3: Terran Conflict.
Oh hell yes. Guys, I might not be coming back after the 15th. Don't come looking for me if this happens.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Herp Derp.
It is an MMORPG or single player?
Coz if it's single player I'm all over that like...like...Derpy with a muffin!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Chrono212 said:
Herp Derp.
Thankfully, no MMO aspect to the X games. Its the elder scrolls of space economic simulation.

Like the TES, its begged for by people on the forums, but thankfully the company isn't willing to shoehorn it. They have discussed working on a separate game for the multiplayer inclined.

Also, if you do get derpy with its muffins, I suggest a really nice joystick.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/index.html

Every other joystick I've owned was a piece of trash.

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
thiosk said:
Chrono212 said:
Herp Derp.
Thankfully, no MMO aspect to the X games. Its the elder scrolls of space economic simulation.

Like the TES, its begged for by people on the forums, but thankfully the company isn't willing to shoehorn it. They have discussed working on a separate game for the multiplayer inclined.
If I wanted a MMORPG space economic simulation I'll get EVE.
However, the prospect of paying someone to allow me to stare at spreadsheets in my free time seems...perverse. :p

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Chrono212 said:
thiosk said:
Chrono212 said:
Herp Derp.

However, the prospect of paying someone to allow me to stare at spreadsheets in my free time seems...perverse. :p
Here you go, you can do it for free:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org

I give you aurora: Spreadsheets in SPAAAAAAAAAACE

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
thiosk said:
Chrono212 said:
thiosk said:
Chrono212 said:
Herp Derp.

Here you go, you can do it for free:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org

I give you aurora: Spreadsheets in SPAAAAAAAAAACE

Spreadsheets are boring. :p

Noxman

Mar 4, 2010
I liked X2: The Threat and moderately enjoyed X3:TC but when playing TC my main feelings were that the entire game needs to be started from the very beginning. No more rebirths/rehashes or redoings, just make an entirely new game.

Also I know its really not what the game is about but the story in TC was irredeemably broken. Not just not very interesting or involved, just absolutely broken beyond repair. The extent of the bugs made me amazed that it made it to commercial release.

This one looks good but I still can't help feeling they they just need to ditch it all and start from the very beginning again rather than doing large updates and selling it as new.

drednoahl

Nov 23, 2011
I don't know anyone who was expecting Egosoft to release anything else for X3, but I (and others) did complain a fair bit on the forums that "the Terran Conflict" was more of a minor argument than a conflict, and we said the game needed a proper ending. The real surprise for me is that Albion Prelude supports trackIR.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Ok I am intrersted. New stuff makes me want to get it even if I won't play it due to having to finish X3 TC. I am only 50 hours in, I have not even started my grand plan. Happy to know they give me a discount for getting the game.

But the idea of adding a stock market sounds cool and fun. That sounds insane, adding a stock market fun? Any other game does that and I would laugh at it. X3 does it and I wet myself wanting it.

What is wrong with me?