XBLA Indie Game Tries to Help You Talk to Girls

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Amnestic said:
where I had to figure out the birthstone for the month of May.
What on bloody Earth is a 'birthstone'?

Sounds like a very basic dating sim to me. Fairly certain Japan's been well ahead of these indie devs for a while now. Ah well, suppose if the guys make some cash off it they can make something better.
A "birthstone" is the stone assigned to each month that is supposedly represenative of that month. It is tradition to get the stone in jewelery for any non-specific event (IE: Engagement Ring) in your or the reciever's birthstone.

I don't know all of them, but I do know December is Topaz.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Amnestic said:

Sounds like a very basic dating sim to me. Fairly certain Japan's been well ahead of these indie devs for a while now. Ah well, suppose if the guys make some cash off it they can make something better.
Birthstone is the mineral that is set to your month, like Zodiac, that you give to someone for their birthday. For instance, my birthstones are Agate, Emerald, Moonstone or Pearl, depending on the tradition they come from. There are also birth flowers.

edit: damn, ninjad.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Amnestic said:
Ask and ye shall receive [http://www.galleries.com/Minerals/birthsto.htm]. Basically it's a precious gem of some sort that they decided should be associated with a given birth month. It's mainly something women care about since guys don't much tend to go in for jewelry as a rule. Apparently mine is an emerald.
Oh hey, mine too. Let's be bestest buddies because we were born in the same month!

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Amnestic said:

A "birthstone" is the stone assigned to each month that is supposedly represenative of that month. It is tradition to get the stone in jewelery for any non-specific event (IE: Engagement Ring) in your or the reciever's birthstone.

I don't know all of them, but I do know December is Topaz.
Psh If I had proposed to my Wife with a ring, set with a stone of the purest agate/Topaz/Granite I would still be single.

Unless her birthstone is diamond in which case everything is coming up Dan!

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
That picture cracks me up. I don't need help from XBLA thank you very much, I'm not a social failure.

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
I bought this for the sole purpose of laughing at it. I regret it whole-heartedly.

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
i actually saw a review from this somewhere else..
but i laughed at the fact she is in third grade. AND having trouble with it xD
oh boy.
but it would be rather annoying for a game to throw some trig ratios at you i guess.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
By the sounds of it, the title should be "Sim-Stalker", wonder if theres a sequel for if you fail to get a girl "Sim-Stalker 2: The bi-curious years"

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
hURR dURR dERP said:
FightThePower said:
This really does show how pathetic most gamers are.
Or at least how pathetic people think gamers are.
Touché. A lot of us can talk to girls...some of us even have friends that are girls! Some of us even have girlfriends! Shock Horror!

In all seriousness though, that was a rather sweeping statement I made initally.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
thefreeman0001 said:
congratulations XBLA for moving your users closer towards the Japanese dating sim market!. maybe now there wont be so many screaming kids on xbl as they are too busy trying to get into the pants of pixelated women!.
Yeah, when they get to the level of the Japanese ones are, then maybe I'll play. But of course, that won't happen until Microsoft allows adult rated games on Xbox.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
This reminds me of those terrible mid 90's FMV games that seemed to be popular for the PC and Sega CD. Teaching the lesson that just because you have the technology to do something doesn't mean you should.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
hURR dURR dERP said:
FightThePower said:
This really does show how pathetic most gamers are.
Or at least how pathetic people think gamers are.
This, exactly. The way this is designed seems rather insulting to both sexes. That said, Japan is the master of these games, but they seem to rely heavily on stereotypes. Does anyone know if there are any that function more organically? I'm not well-versed in dating or role-playing sims of this nature to know.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Let kids focus on their studies, not trying to woo that girl that sits in front of them in class. Is there a rating on this game? I can't seem to find one. It's good for the right audience, but I hope there aren't going to be a bunch of ten year olds learning the ropes from this thing.