XBLA Minecraft Getting An Adventurous Update

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
XBLA Minecraft Getting An Adventurous Update

"The game isn't Minecraft on the Xbox, it is Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, so it isn't really a direct port of the PC game."

So says Paddy Burns, co-founder of 4J studios. The next update for the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft put the game roughly on par with Beta version 1.7.3 of its bigger, PC-based sibling. After that, there's a fairly large jump to version 1.8, The Adventure Update, which added a ton of new content to the PC version, including new materials, a food system and of course, the goddamn Endermen. Owners of the Xbox 360 version shouldn't expect all of those features, however.

"There are no big architecture changes with the move to 1.7.3, so it's been quite straightforward. The move to 1.8.2 is much more challenging," Burns told OXM. "We are working with Daniel Kaplan at Mojang to define what is going in to the Xbox version, but the aim is to include as many of the PC features that make sense on the Xbox as possible. The game isn't Minecraft on the Xbox, it is Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, so it isn't really a direct port of the PC game."

Now, that last sentence is a little worrying. 4J has already run into trouble getting the Xbox 360 version to match its PC counterpart. World sizes in the PC version of the game are, for practical purposes, infinite, whereas the Xbox 360 version limits worlds to 1024 x 1024 blocks. While that restriction may be loosened, there's always going to be restrictions on world size due to the 360's hardware. On the other hand: splitscreen.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/41858/minecraft-xbox-360-update-adventure-update-is-the-most-difficult/]

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Isn't it 0.7.3 and 0.8 for the versions? I thought they were before Minecraft's official release.

Still holding out hope they don't include towns though, or at least villagers.

=y

May 11, 2012
Well, my friend who has it for the Xbox will be excited. I'll just be over here, a hybrid of the PC master race.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Grey Carter said:
and of course, the goddamn Endermen.
Am I the only one who kinda likes the Endermen? I'm done in by skeletons and creepers much more often.

Grey Carter said:
Now that last sentence is a little worrying. 4J has already ran into trouble getting the Xbox 360 version to match its PC counterpart.
Yeah, the fact that it's on a relatively powerful platform doesn't really stop there being insurmountable technical issues. That said, I'd much rather 4J focuses on making a good game and not a faithful port. The two platforms co-exist for a reason; certain things work well on one and atrociously when shoe-horned into the other.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Why are people so gung-ho on split-screen? That was great in the 90s when you didn't really have a choice, but now?

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
Why are people so gung-ho on split-screen? That was great in the 90s when you didn't really have a choice, but now?
Because playing splitscreen or Lan is far suprieror to playing over the internet. Costs far less in downloads, the atmosphere is far more effective (people are less likely to claim they will rape your mother when you can walk over and whack them in the head) and its generally a far more social experience.

I'd rather play four player splitscreen at a friends house, then have an eighty person team deathmatch over the internet.

Those who never grew up with it likely don't understand why four way co-op made games like GoldenEye or Perfect Dark have a far greater impact then a disposable CoD.

Yukinari

Aug 22, 2009
Still not enticing me to buy an incomplete game that everyone seems to rave about.
The only cool thing is the recipe menus. Split-screen being restricted to HD displays only is a bit ridiculous.

BaseballFan15

Mar 22, 2010
Sucal said:
RvLeshrac said:
Because playing splitscreen or Lan is far suprieror to playing over the internet. Costs far less in downloads, the atmosphere is far more effective (people are less likely to claim they will rape your mother when you can walk over and whack them in the head) and its generally a far more social experience.

I'd rather play four player splitscreen at a friends house, then have an eighty person team deathmatch over the internet.

Those who never grew up with it likely don't understand why four way co-op made games like GoldenEye or Perfect Dark have a far greater impact then a disposable CoD.
This isn't a FPS though, this is Minecraft. You wouldn't want to play Minecraft with a bunch of randoms because they would grief your shit, so when you play 90% of the time you're either playing with friends for friends of friends. Point being, you know who you're playing with so trash talkers is not an issue like it is on CoD/Halo/ect. where you play with a bunch of randoms. If I know, like, and trust everyone in the lobby I would rather have 8 player coop over XBL than 4 player split screen.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Sucal said:
RvLeshrac said:

I must admit I didn't grow up with co-op multiplayer, it didn't have much of an impact outside Gauntlet (although Gauntlet did eat a lot of my disposable income).

With Minecraft: Home Computer Edition it is relatively simple to set up your own server and restrict access to just your friends, yeah even on Linux. If download limits are a problem it too can be done over LAN just as easily.

Anyway I was wondering, does Minecraft: 360 Edition have the Nether? I assume not because of memory issues.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Kapol said:
Isn't it 0.7.3 and 0.8 for the versions? I thought they were before Minecraft's official release
Oddly enough, no. It went from about 1.9 or so back to 1.0 for the official release.
I never understood that really...

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
I did play the split screen with three other guys last weekend we had a blast. The only problem that we ran in to is you can't sleep unless everyone wants to but none of us were big on using the beds so it wasn't a real issue, thought if I was playing on my own I much prefer playing it on PC.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Yukinari said:
Still not enticing me to buy an incomplete game that everyone seems to rave about.
The only cool thing is the recipe menus. Split-screen being restricted to HD displays only is a bit ridiculous.
Split screen on a SD display would just be a half a block taking up the entirety of each side.

Salomega

Nov 15, 2011
Yes, the 360 version has the nether, still as dark and full of floating jelly fish as the pc version.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I actually seem to spend more time playing the xbox version than the PC version these days simply because of the split-screen option. I do love a bit of split-screen action

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
Social interaction is kinda fun. For example, I enjoy playing CoD with three other guys in the same room with beer and crisps much more than online, it's a lot different.

Good for the 360 guys. At the moment, it looks a bit meh really, compared to the PC version at least. I guess if you can't get the PC version then fair enough, but hopefully it should get a lot better with updates. God knows how awful it would have been if Microsoft made you pay for them...

Sucal said:
I thought it was worth pointing out that CoD's splitscreen is actually quite good, I've had a lot of fun with MW2's 4 player splitscreen deathmatches.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
One thing they need to do, EXPAND THE GODDAMN MAP! I can't believe there is a limit, and a pretty small one at that. Other than that, I don't really care what they do.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
octafish said:
Anyway I was wondering, does Minecraft: 360 Edition have the Nether? I assume not because of memory issues.
It does have The Nether, in the crafting window you can see glowstone. Alos you need Ghast tears for something or other.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
Right now the size isnt a major issue for me but it could do in future and not being able to exploreis kinda a bummer