Xbox 360 Errors Increasing Post-NXE?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Xbox 360 Errors Increasing Post-NXE?

Reports of the Xbox 360's E74 error have dramatically increased since the release of the New Xbox Experience, according to the results of a poll [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/19/joystiq-survey-xbox-360-e74-errors-on-the-rise-since-nxe/] conducted by Joystiq.

Though it's nowhere near as infamous as the fabled Red Rings of Death, the Xbox 360's E74 hardware failure [http://consumerist.com/377074/red-light-of-death-xbox-owner-wants-same-extended-warranty-as-red-ring-of-death-sufferers] might become as well known soon enough, if the results of a Joystiq survey are to be believed. The error, which is apparently caused by a faulty scaler chip, AV cable, or GPU, results in all sorts of graphical weirdness on screen, followed by a single flashing red light and an unsightly error code screen on bootup.

Joystiq held an open call for readers to write in if they've ever been victims of the E74 hardware failure, and, after receiving dozens of replies, have compiled the data. The first thing they noticed was that the frequency of E74s has increased dramatically since November of last year, which, you'll recall, was around the time that Microsoft launched the New Xbox Experience. It doesn't take a genius to work out the cause-and-effect logic here - the immediate conclusion is that NXE is making the 360 work so hard that it becomes more prone to error.

The blog noticed that the errors had nothing to do with when the system was bought - people who have owned their 360s for anywhere from one to three years reported having the issue. So, whatever type of 360 you bought with whatever special motherboard might not keep you safe from the error.

So, is this survey just scaremongering or should we actually be on the look out for what could become the dreaded "Red Light of Death?" Well, there is some of your hard-earned cash at stake here: while Microsoft's well-publicized extended warranty covers RRODs, it does not cover anything else. So, if you get an E74, you'll have to pony up some serious dough to get Microsoft to fix it (though, naturally there are a whole slew of DIY fixes).

Joystiq reached out to Microsoft to see if the company could back up their data (which they're ready to assert is far from scientifically prepared), but the company was predictably reticent on all fronts, only saying that the "E74 is a general hardware error on Xbox 360 indicated by a single red flashing light in the Xbox Ring of Light and an error message visible on the television. This error is unrelated to the three flashing red lights error and there is not a single root cause."

Have any of you guys gotten this error? And was it before or after getting the New Xbox Experience?

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
I remember reading this but i bet those consoles were pretty old without the new chipsets, even then that doesn't guarantee anything from the red lights.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Tenmar said:
Don't worry guys cause just like Apple, Microsoft will fix your Xbox with an E74 error for only a nominal fee! It's not like you have anywhere else you can go to fix their product anyway :p.

Ahh how funny how companies are not monopolies but their products sure got the consumer by the balls.
They might as well be considered monopolies. Or some kind of wierd mutation thereof.

jamestoo

Aug 29, 2008
E74? I thought that was a video cable error? I've had this many times before if that is the case, all I did was restart the machine.

AwesomeOne

Mar 19, 2009
Hume rejected the idea of cause and effect. Blantently putting it, he believed that when we see the white billiard ball hit the black one and watch the black one roll away we cannot determine that event A (the white billiard ball hitting the black one) caused event B (the black billiard ball rolling away). You'd be better off mentioning Spinoza who suggested that everything happens out of necessity.

Sigh, now i have an account on the escapist cause of this...

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
AwesomeOne said:
Hume rejected the idea of cause and effect. Blantently putting it, he believed that when we see the white billiard ball hit the black one and watch the black one roll away we cannot determine that event A (the white billiard ball hitting the black one) caused event B (the black billiard ball rolling away). You'd be better off mentioning Spinoza who suggested that everything happens out of necessity.

Sigh, now i have an account on the escapist cause of this...
Hahaha, yes! I knew I could bait someone into making an account just to correct me.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Mine's in the shop for RRoD right now, anyway.

I'm sure I'll have it for about week before E74 sets in. If it does, I'm gettin' an Elite. If I'm going to keep wasting my money, I may as well waste all of it.

galaxygamer

May 23, 2008
For the love of Allah, when will MS get their system right? First there is the R-Rod, now this weird glitch. Does MS want me to not buy their 360? At least the PS3 is....STABLE!

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
I have been lucky to avoid the Rrod, but now I have to worry about this. Whats next 360 consoles randomly exploding, turning into Decepticons and taking over the world?! Makes me wanna but a PS3........

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Just when I'm willing to forget the ineptitude of the 360's engineering, something new crops up to remind me that the system is a colossal failure of basic hardware design. Microsoft needs to remain a software company and outsource their system to someone with experience. Heck, the morons at Dell could have easily built a better 360 machine.

Anyway, I'm done hating now. ;-)

Pingrash

Mar 30, 2008
I haven't suffered the E74 error but I did suffer the red ring of death.

My friend got the E74 error though. This was about a week after NXE was released.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
I got the E74 error about a month after the NXE arrived. Never had any problems before, neither E74 nor RRoD. So, yeah. To me this sounds plausible.

olicon

May 8, 2008
That's rather unfortunate. So this E74 error I have been hearing about is also a fatal error that persists through resetting the machine?
Honestly, if it wasn't for Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean, I wouldn't even have a single reason to look into buying the Xbox.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
olicon said:
That's rather unfortunate. So this E74 error I have been hearing about is also a fatal error that persists through resetting the machine?
Honestly, if it wasn't for Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean, I wouldn't even have a single reason to look into buying the Xbox.
I thought the same way, but it's library is soooo huge.

Unless you have a Gaming PC.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
This is bullshit! microsoft have never released a less than perfected product EVER.

Coz windows is sooooooooooooooo user friendly too....

'error'

what?

'windows has encountered a serious error and must shut down'

'error details

3454865t53gu9h303uy05986uhy5689uy89tu54nonsense'

aha... thats what went wrong... totally should have known that....

Maikan Bacon

Jan 28, 2009
I myself have never in all the many years i've had my 360, had any problems, ever.

My best friend however had the E74 error, and immidiately had it taken away to be fixed at his expense, three and a half weeks later it returned, boy did he have one hell of a Halo night, followed by yet another E74 error the following morning! He played it what, 8 hours? XD

He sent it off, and a month later, he has been given his 360 back just today!! So we can only assume he'll Red Light of Death it within a few hours? :D hahahahahaaa!

Bacon