Xbox 360 is Japan's Favorite

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Iron Mal said:
Spyalt said:
Iron Mal said:
Is it really that suprising? The 360's success has come mostly from it's sheer universal appeal, it is suitable for the largest crowd of gamers while the PS3 is aimed at a more hardcore population (due to it's cost and smaller catalogue of games) while the Wii has more of a family/child direction to it (it's good but it may be looked down upon due to it's casual appeal).

It's a matter of function and purpose.
Wait did I read that right?*reads it again* Yes I didand my response is pah. The 360 appeals to jocks its the wii with the universal appeal my friend.
Ok, let's get over ourselves and lay off on the Xbox bashing (it's not that bad so get off your highhorse).

The 360 has the widest variety of games and most of us know someone who owns one so I believe it has a greater level of public appeal (not just jocks, although it would include them I guess) while the Wii's line up of games is mostly centred around quizzes and sports/fittness games with the occasional rail shooter (very fun with friends but that's about it) which results in it having a more casual or party appeal.
Here's a simple statement for you Mal: "Broadest appeal amongst gamers."

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Spyalt said:
Iron Mal said:
Is it really that suprising? The 360's success has come mostly from it's sheer universal appeal, it is suitable for the largest crowd of gamers while the PS3 is aimed at a more hardcore population (due to it's cost and smaller catalogue of games) while the Wii has more of a family/child direction to it (it's good but it may be looked down upon due to it's casual appeal).

Wait did I read that right?*reads it again* Yes I didand my response is pah. The 360 appeals to jocks its the wii with the universal appeal my friend.
If the Wii has universal appeal, why don't I want one?

On-topic:

OMG! Microsoft is better in Japan?! It can't just be the RPGs, or else the DS would be soaring over everything with its "At Least 1 RPG Every Month" philosophy.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Spyalt said:
Iron Mal said:

If the Wii has universal appeal, why don't I want one?

On-topic:

OMG! Microsoft is better in Japan?! It can't just be the RPGs, or else the DS would be soaring over everything with its "At Least 1 RPG Every Month" philosophy.
And it is.

The DS hit saturation point in japan long time ago. Nintendo revealed long time ago almost 100% sales in Japan.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
oliveira8 said:
The DS hit saturation point in japan long time ago. Nintendo revealed long time ago almost 100% sales in Japan.
My god...Do they give a newborn baby a DS as its being born there?

Nearly 100% sales, as in nearly 100% of the population owns a DS? That's like a dream come true for any company...

*applauds Nintendo* Long live their handhelds! As for the consoles, I've never owned a single Nintendo home console. And I'm not likely to until the next console generation.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Spyalt said:
Iron Mal said:

Why does the 360 always referred to when talking about fratboys and "jocks"?

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Jarrid said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:

Nearly 100% sales, as in nearly 100% of the population owns a DS? That's like a dream come true for any company...
No, it's not % of the populous. I'm assuming "sales" is the percentage of DS-es sold versus the number they have produced.
Okay, well either way, that's still quite impressive.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:

*applauds Nintendo* Long live their handhelds! As for the consoles, I've never owned a single Nintendo home console. And I'm not likely to until the next console generation.
The 100% doesnt mean the whole population...if not in Japan alone the DS would have sold around 120 million units. When they sold around 100 million units. :p

The 100% and saturation means that the console sold to everyone that was going to buy it and more. And that there arent that many DS buyers in Japan left. WHich meant that Nintendo now needs to sell the DS to the rest of the world. WHich they did and right now theres more DS in the USA than in Japan, when Nintendo started to do more marketing for the DS in the USA around 2007 which was around the time that the DS hit the saturation market in Japan.

So you know the numbers from the end of 2007 to 2008 the DS sold in japan something like 5 million units. In the USA betewen 2007-2008 sold around 10 million units.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
NC3 said:
Yeah, it really shouldn't come as a surprise with all the rpg's being made for it.
How many RPG's are 360 exclusives and how many will come for it? I'm sure the number isn't as large as the PS3's list of RPG's.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:

The 100% doesnt mean the whole population...if not in Japan alone the DS would have sold around 120 million units. When they sold around 100 million units. :p

The 100% and saturation means that the console sold to everyone that was going to buy it and more. And that there arent that many DS buyers in Japan left. WHich meant that Nintendo now needs to sell the DS to the rest of the world. WHich they did and right now theres more DS in the USA than in Japan, when Nintendo started to do more marketing for the DS in the USA around 2007 which was around the time that the DS hit the saturation market in Japan.

So you know the numbers from the end of 2007 to 2008 the DS sold in japan something like 5 million units. In the USA betewen 2007-2008 sold around 10 million units.
Those are some impressive numbers, any idea what Nintendo's profits were from the DS alone? Or maybe deficit, even though I doubt that.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Vlane said:
NC3 said:
Yeah, it really shouldn't come as a surprise with all the rpg's being made for it.
How many RPG's are 360 exclusives and how many will come for it? I'm sure the number isn't as large as the PS3's list of RPG's.
How many will come for the 360? All of them now.

Iku Tri

Mar 14, 2009
I think its funny how Sony was raised for having a slim ps2 and the xbox criticized for being a black behemoth, yet now its completely the opposite.

And yet they complain about the 360's size.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
oliveira8 said:

Those are some impressive numbers, any idea what Nintendo's profits were from the DS alone? Or maybe deficit, even though I doubt that.
I dont know the numbers but this picture might help...

Just replace Scrooge with Miyamoto or Iwata and the result will be the same. :p

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I dont know the numbers but this picture might help...

Just replace Scrooge with Miyamoto or Iwata and the result will be the same. :p
Heh, I'd rather replace him with Reggie Fils Aime or however you spell it.
This is likely their profits in another image form:

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Pandalisk said:
Sony. Must. Be. Pissed.
Having a higher percentage of approval than the DS, and Sony would be pissed? I'd be cheering at the top of my lungs for 3 seconds then calm down and go back to work!