Xbox 360 Reaches New Sales Milestone

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Xbox 360 Reaches New Sales Milestone

Console sales are declining, but Xbox Live memberships have seen a healthy boost.

Microsoft's latest financial report offers an update for those keeping track of the now-waning console war: Over 70 million Xbox 360s have now been sold, worldwide. But despite this huge figure, sales of the aging console are definitely falling. The company revealed that approximately 1.7 million consoles were sold between July and September of this year, marking a 600,000-unit decline from the same period in 2011.

By comparison, the latest figures from Sony and Nintendo show the PlayStation 3 at just over 63 million units sold, and the Wii standing atop the heap with over 96 million console sales.

In addition to hardware sales statistics, Microsoft showed a 15 percent increase in Xbox Live memberships from the previous quarter. The company noted that dipping console sales were offset partly by increased revenue from its Live subscriptions.

The Xbox 360 is approaching its 7th birthday, making it a bit of an old man in terms of typical console lifespans. As Microsoft's second console offering, the Xbox 360 has greatly outperformed its predecessor, which had sold less than 25 million units when last reported. Still, it's clear that the current console generation is in its twilight years, as gamers cling to every mention of new hardware from the big three.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/70-million-xbox-360s-sold-6398561]

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Good for them! It's a good console. I'm not their typical demographic, as I'm more of an arcade and retro fan, but i will admit that it's one of the few consoles which appears to have a good mix of games for many kinds of gamers. It beat my expectations.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LoL, another console sales decline story. No shit, they have been around for a while now, the vast majority of people who wanted it probably bought it in the first three years. As it's the same device that was sold almost 7 years ago and it has not gotten better with time, it will sell less now. I'm sure that if you were to check the curve it peaked probably about 3 or 4 years ago, meaning it's probably a bell curve.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
I wish they had some stats on how many of those were to people replacing old with new ones as the newer models came out (and thus quieter, larger HDD, Kinect-capable, etc.) and/or bought multiple so one could go online and the other be hacked. I'm a fan of the console (it's definitely my fav of this gen), but I just wonder how many sales were driven by things like that.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
schmulki said:
I wish they had some stats on how many of those were to people replacing old with new ones as the newer models came out (and thus quieter, larger HDD, Kinect-capable, etc.) and/or bought multiple so one could go online and the other be hacked. I'm a fan of the console (it's definitely my fav of this gen), but I just wonder how many sales were driven by things like that.
Not just that, I'm curious how many just wound up buying a new one after their old one burned out a few times. I have a couple friends who just decided to pick up one of the newer models rather than go through the RROD replacement process for a fourth time.

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
Good for them that's a great milestone, and the fact that it's still selling this late in the console cycle is awesome.I just have one issue though, the sales for the ps3 are too low, vgcharts puts it at 67.2 million and even that may not be completely accurate, I know that it's not officially from Sony, but still it would be nice if you would specify that you're comparing sales figures from march with those from september.