Xbox 360 Repair: Is it worth it?

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
My Xbox 360 finally died on me a couple of weeks ago and after looking at few guides online that were either incredibly complicated, didn't work or demanded payment for their advice and hearing people talk about these guides only fixing the problem for a short amount of time (about 2 months) I just said "Screw it" and I've decided to by a new one. Why am I telling you guys this? Because I want to know what you'd do/have done in my situation. Is it worth sending the console to Microsoft for a couple of months for repair or sifting through dozens of complex guides to fix the console or would you rather just get a new one? Or would you just forget about Xbox and buy a PS3/Wii?

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Get a PS3. Or get it fixed. Surely you already have an idea of what you'd prefer to do?

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
I repaired my xbox myself when it went wrong and it's been working fine ever since, I believe I used what is known as the xclamp fix.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
mikecoulter said:
Get a PS3. Or get it fixed. Surely you already have an idea of what you'd prefer to do?
You misunderstand I've more or less made up my mind (I'm going to get the Elite model). I wanted to know what you would do in my situation. Plus I consider the PS3 to be overpriced (especially since I don't care about Bluray when I have a perfectly good DVD player) even at the reduced price whereas I can get a pre-owned Elite for about £150 at a local game shop. But thanks for voicing your own opinion I appreciate it.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Jumpingbean3 said:
Is it worth sending the console to Microsoft for a couple of months for repair
Months?My buddy got his launch 360 repaired a few months ago.Took about 12-14 days as I recall

hobo_welf

Aug 15, 2008
There are plenty of ways to fix your xbox on your own without needing to send it to Microsoft to pay them to fix something that you already paid for.

They all void your warranty, but if you want to do it yourself, and for free, just google the xclamp fix. There are a few other ways too. Again, googles are your friend.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Jumpingbean3 said:
mikecoulter said:
You misunderstand I've more or less made up my mind (I'm going to get the Elite model). I wanted to know what you would do in my situation. Plus I consider the PS3 to be overpriced (especially since I don't care about Bluray when I have a perfectly good DVD player) even at the reduced price whereas I can get a pre-owned Elite for about £150 at a local game shop. But thanks for voicing your own opinion I appreciate it.
Wait... you asked for our opinions just to disregard them?

OT: I'd just forget about the Xbox and turn on the PS3 sitting about 6 inches to its left, it may be fat and ugly (no slim model for me!), but it doesn't break down.

A.I. Sigma

Sep 17, 2008
I've been trying to get MS to fix my Xbox since Christmas Eve, but they never reply to my fix requests. I'm considering ringing them up and asking to speak with a supervisor, because that's what another person advised me to do.

Apparently mentioning 'I'll buy a PS3 instead, then' works very well to get their attention. XD

I simply don't have the money to buy replacement or other consoles, though. All I can do is wait for MS to actually pay attention to me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Buy a PC and fix your own problems.

Or get a PS3 instead - I promised to do that if my 360 packed in. Selling it now anyway, so it makes no odds.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Jumpingbean3 said:
mikecoulter said:
Ahh right. I can see how some may see it as over priced, not everyone looks for the same things in a console. I have both and I just had a more fun experience with the PS3. Price is irrelevant if I enjoy something.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
Jumpingbean3 said:
Is it worth sending the console to Microsoft for a couple of months for repair...
You mean a week or two at most.

Seriously, its the better and cheaper option.
Yeah, it will only take a week or two. The holiday rush is pretty much over, so all of the repairs will take no time. It's free and you'll have a 360 that will last.
Also, Microsoft's actually been replacing broken 360's with new ones (at least, they did for my boyfriend). The new ones have Jaspers, which help dramatically decrease the chances of you gettin RRoD.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Microsoft fixed mine for free and it only took a week when I called them about it.

Is it so hard to call Customer Support when something happens to your console/computer?

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
VanityGirl said:
Fat Man Spoon said:
Jumpingbean3 said:
Is it worth sending the console to Microsoft for a couple of months for repair...

Yeah, it will only take a week or two. The holiday rush is pretty much over, so all of the repairs will take no time. It's free and you'll have a 360 that will last.
Also, Microsoft's actually been replacing broken 360's with new ones (at least, they did for my boyfriend). The new ones have Jaspers, which help dramatically decrease the chances of you gettin RRoD.
Microsoft actually just fixed mine for free, and it only took about 6 days. The maximum you would have to pay for repairing it is $100 (USD) so to me that seems like the best option.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Screw the 360 go buy yourself an SNES and have fun playing all the old games for the rest of your days =D

aww yea

May 3, 2009
colonel_alzheimers said:
VanityGirl said:
Fat Man Spoon said:
Jumpingbean3 said:

Microsoft actually just fixed mine for free, and it only took about 6 days. The maximum you would have to pay for repairing it is $100 (USD) so to me that seems like the best option.
wow all you guys have got it goooood. alot of my mates had to wait nearer 3 weeks to get theirs back.

some got it back around 2 weeks but most of them got it nearer 3.

but yea if i were you id get it fixed/get a ps3. no point buying what you already own

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
When mine broke i just gave it back to the store, they gave me a new one and swapped the HD. And i have 2 years of warranty left.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Thank you all for your input. The original point was just to get an idea of how other people treated the situation. However I've thought over what you said and have decided to stick to the original plan and trade in some unwanted Xbox 360 games to reduce the price.
Crossborder said:
When mine broke i just gave it back to the store, they gave me a new one and swapped the HD. And i have 2 years of warranty left.
I'm not sure if my store would do that given that my Xbox is mildly physically damaged (but not in a way that effects performance) but I guess I could try that.

Thank you all for your advice I apologise if anyone feels that their time was wasted.