Xbox Controller on PC for Skyrim: Too Damn Slow. Help?

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Hey guys and gals,
I just got an Xbox controller to use for my PC when I play Skyrim. I gleefully plugged it in today, only to realize that the game is unplayable with the controller, as the response time of the controller is extremely slow, making it impossible to do anything.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I tried calibrating the controller, lowering the graphics settings and everything, but nothing has fixed it. The funny thing is that I used my friend's controller on my pc a few weeks ago, and that worked fine. I have no clue why my controller is being difficult. If anybody can help me I would be extremely grateful. I'm tired of swearing at my computer. -_-

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I wish I could help you, but my 360 controller works great for Skyrim ever since I turned it on and plugged it in.

I have the same problem for Oblivion however, so I will be monitoring this thread.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Open up your Skyrimprefs.ini and change

fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000

to a higher value. You might be able to change it from the in-game menu as well.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Cryofthewolf said:
Does anybody know how to fix this?
Plug your keyboard back in.

/trollface.

On a more serious note. Is it all response times or just camera movement?

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Kurai Angelo said:
Cryofthewolf said:
Does anybody know how to fix this?
Plug your keyboard back in.

/trollface.

On a more serious note. Is it all response times or just camera movement?
/rageface

Haha it's camera movement. Everything else works fine.

...Maybe I should have clarified that... >_>

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
isometry said:

to a higher value. You might be able to change it from the in-game menu as well.
I'll try that. Thanks. :)

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Cryofthewolf said:
isometry said:

I'll try that. Thanks. :)
Alright, tried that. Nothing. :/

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
While in the game hit esc and go to the settings menue and select gameplay. inside that is look sensitivity with a slide bar. move the marker to the right more. test ingame.

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
JET1971 said:
While in the game hit esc and go to the settings menue and select gameplay. inside that is look sensitivity with a slide bar. move the marker to the right more. test ingame.
Tried that too. Didn't do anything. :/

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Is it a Wireless or Wired Controller?
Did you install Microsoft's drivers before plugging it in?
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads#gaming
It's a wired controller, and no, I didn't install any drivers. I'll get on that. :p

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Cryofthewolf said:
JET1971 said:
Tried that too. Didn't do anything. :/
It helped me, now i can do a spiral staircase without picking my mouse up 30 times, default settings were horrid. Sorry it didnt help you.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Why would you play it with a controller? Maybe the game is trying to tell you something...

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
DalekJaas said:
Why would you play it with a controller? Maybe the game is trying to tell you something...
The game plays great with a controller. Most new PC games these days have built-in support for the Xbox 360 controller, it sure beats complaining about "damn console port worst UI ever" etc.

Besides, keyboards are designed for typing and many of us use them a lot at work, so using a game controller that is designed for playing games can help avoid repetitive stress.

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Alright, I fixed it! Turns out downloading the driver-things and turning the look sensitivity to the right instead of the left fixes things. :D

Thanks for the help all. I can now play Skyrim with a controller. Winter break is going to rock. :D