Xbox Dominates US Black Friday Retail Console Sales

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well congratulations to Microsoft, I guess. Insert random bullshit conspiracy theory here.

What I'm honestly surprised by is the Wii U and PlayStation 3 selling more than their counterparts.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
I think it's hilarious that all the people on this forum are trying to reconcile the fact that the Xbone did better.
"They must be uneducated!" "Well, that's just one region." "I bet everyone already bought their PS4s." "Maybe the PS4 had a limited supply."

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe people just prefer the thing?
My brother and I went halfsies on an Xbox on black friday. Yes, the $100 increase in pricetag is there, but in all honesty we didn't really care about that.
We both consider ourselves hardcore gamers, so it's not a bias towards the casual aspects of it that drew us to it.
The controller is nice, the processor is practically entirely SILENT, the voice control functionality and kinect are actually useful as hell (It signs me in simply when I walk in front of it), the constant game DVR, capability of swapping between apps just by saying "Xbox, go to Netflix", and I'm already at the point where I can't imagine NOT using the voice control technology.
Also Assassin's Creed is beautiful on it. Not to mention I got to trade in my old AC4 to get the Xbone version for 10 bucks, whereas buying a PS4 would require me to pay the full $60.

Some people need to get off the Microsoft hate train and consider that maybe the system is actually pretty damn good.
Now excuse me while I watch Youtube and matchmake in AC4 multiplayer at the same time.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Klagermeister said:
I think it's hilarious that all the people on this forum are trying to reconcile the fact that the Xbone did better.
"They must be uneducated!" "Well, that's just one region." "I bet everyone already bought their PS4s." "Maybe the PS4 had a limited supply."

My brother and I went halfsies on an Xbox on black friday. Yes, the $100 increase in pricetag is there, but in all honesty we didn't really care about that.
We both consider ourselves hardcore gamers, so it's not a bias towards the casual aspects of it that drew us to it.
The controller is nice, the processor is practically entirely SILENT, the voice control functionality and kinect are actually useful as hell (It signs me in simply when I walk in front of it), the constant game DVR, capability of swapping between apps just by saying "Xbox, go to Netflix", and I'm already at the point where I can't imagine NOT using the voice control technology.
Also Assassin's Creed is beautiful on it. Not to mention I got to trade in my old AC4 to get the Xbone version for 10 bucks, whereas buying a PS4 would require me to pay the full $60.

Some people need to get off the Microsoft hate train and consider that maybe the system is actually pretty damn good.
Now excuse me while I watch Youtube and matchmake in AC4 multiplayer at the same time.
This.

Folks, end this silly console fanboy war. This constant need of people on the Internet to brow-beat everyone into agreeing that their particular tastes and preferences are somehow "objectively" superior to all other possibilities is just stupid and childish. All these techno-religious crusades, the console wars, console vs. PC, hardcore vs. casual, PC vs. Mac, iOS vs. Android, etc., have proven to be nothing but the height of personal insecurity, emotional immaturity, and journalistic link-baiting. It just gets tiresome.

Buy what you like, play what you like, enjoy what you like, and stop worrying about whether the rest of the world agrees with you. Learn to be comfortable in your own skin and move on with your life.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Klagermeister said:

Lack of stock is a genuine reason (since it's reported to have sold out and that's also what the market analyst said), but for the two others I couldn't agree more. Looking back now there was a market analyst who said that the Xbox One could ship more than the PS4, is this a confirmation of that?

Honestly I don't care about the reason it sold better, all I know is that I am laughing at all those who said it was going to fail completely. I said repeatedly that it was too soon to judge the winner of the console generation before it started. Now it has started and both the Xbox One and the PS4 is off to a flying start.

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
Klagermeister said:

Unfortunately, you are never going to convince half the people on this website, heck most remember E3 and nothing after but forget what these companies have done in the past.

csoloist

Mar 27, 2009
EffectiveKill said:
Unfortunately, you are never going to convince half the people on this website, heck most remember E3 and nothing after but forget what these companies have done in the past.
In the past? Microsoft are awful and all their consumer targeted products are horribly compromised. XBOX has only ever been a strategic investment for them, they couldn't give a squirt of piss about videogames beyond getting their set-top box into your living room. These days Sony's hardly any better. Irrespective of which corporation's new console is the more successful, gamers and consumers generally will be worse off for it.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I seem to recall reading somewhere on this site where an analyst predicted that distribution was going to be in Microsoft's favor.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
JoJo said:
Consumers, I am disappoint.

But no seriously, I guess this is good since a healthy rivalry between Microsoft and Sony will keep the two in competition to provide good services
Yeah, like that has ever happened.

An Oligopoly is the worst possible thing that can happen to a market. At least with a monopoly, there would be a single console standard to directly compete with PC and casual gaming, that could have saved them on the long term, but with the Oligopoly giving them the two the illusion of control, it will be a few more years of a continuing balloon of market exploitation for the console industry, right until it collapses. Even the last gen could barely sustain two high-end platforms doing the exact same thing, there is no way that there will be room for both of them now.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I overheard a manager-type at my store mentioning that we've had spare XBone80's since launch which were being held until Black Friday. I don't think Sony had given the same order to...well, Target at least. I haven't seen either PS4 or, XBone anywhere anyway though so finding one was probably a problem for both of the systems. What really surprised me though was the fact that we sold out our Wii U stock!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I do wonder if the lack of PS4 helped Mircosoft out here. My Target only had two Xbox Ones on black Friday. Which is two more than the number of PS4s we had. I keep telling customers that Sony said they are working to make sure there are 'plenty' once Christmas rolls around, but I always make sure I do finger quotes around plenty and roll my eyes.

Still, not all that surprising. The 360 does have a strong following, and I highly doubt that many people jumped ship.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
JoJo said:
Consumers, I am disappoint.

But no seriously, I guess this is good since a healthy rivalry between Microsoft and Sony will keep the two in competition to provide good services and not charge too much, a monopoly would hurt us the consumers in the end, as much as part of me would have liked to have seen the Xbone tank on launch day.
Pretty much what JoJo said. Give any one of these companies a monopoly and we all get fucked over a picket fence. Ultimately, I'm more surprised (in honesty I'm not) people are buying the new consoles NOW and not later down the line when they're cheaper, have more games for them and have more of the technical kinks rolled out. I guess it would be a hell of a gift for christmas for some people.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Target. Walmart. North America.

Hardly the most discerning consumer-base. :|