Xbox Live Hinders Final Fantasy XIV Release

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
1,846
0
0
Onmi said:
Ah. I see.
...
...
Soo... it's like an episode of Neighbours? All we need now is a sex scandal and we could probably start on the script for the pilot...

EDIT: Whoops, sorry to all not-Australian folk who don't know Neighbours. Onmi should get it though.
 

samsonguy920

New member
Mar 24, 2009
2,921
0
0
HardRockSamurai said:
My hope is that Square Enix forces Microsoft to make some major changes to their online policy; if anyone can convince them, Square can.
And pink sheep will fly over the White House proclaiming Cloud is the King. And then we will have pink sweaters and avian lambchops. Yum.
Microsoft has been about as flexible on its internet policies as a steel girder. It may seem flexible when put with others to make a building, but that's just for show.
 

samsonguy920

New member
Mar 24, 2009
2,921
0
0
SinisterDeath said:
Wait... Is FFXIV going to be released, before FFXIII?!

I... I think thats a first in gaming history.
Maybe, but more likely a first would be Squeenex making an MMO off an original and new IP than just squeezing more juice out of the Final Fantasy rock.
 

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
4,887
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
I don't think there'll be any Square-Enix exclusive on the PS3, not even Kingdom Hearts 3.
Final Fantasy Versus 13.

On topic, I'm sort of wanting this game more and more, although the platform I get it on will be based on reviews and system specs.
 

Jumplion

New member
Mar 10, 2008
7,873
0
0
squid5580 said:
I see what you did there trying there. Thinking you could say something like that in small text so we wouldn't reread the article looking for the sentence where they downplay the 360. The only issue according to the article is and I quote

, because 360 has its own policy with Xbox Live that is different from [the] internet, that's something we're in discussions with Microsoft [about], to come to an agreement. That's one of the reasons it's not going to be launched at that point.
So unless I have lost my ability to comprehend a couple sentences it seems to me the issue at hand is some contract that MS has in place that SE and MS need to work out. Not that there is anything wrong with the 360 itself.
That wasn't what I was trying to convey, I don't mean downplaying the 360 as in Squeenix saying "Teh 360 iz Terreeble!!#$!", you're comprehension is fine. What I'm meaning to say is that the focus of this article is mostly the 360 in essence, while one little sentence;

"If you said "Just the PlayStation 3", I'm afraid you get a big fat 'F', because despite what Jack Tretton might have said about the game at E3 this year, it's about as far from a Sony exclusive as you can get."
was just a small input by the articlist, not the focus of the article. And yet I see people saying;

Mugsy said:
Wow. Sony just can not hold onto any decent exclusives can they.
Then again, a MMO. Meh, they are welcome to it.
God dammit square, cut it out with the shitty generic MMOs and start fixing up the FF series again.
Wugsy said:
aww, poor ps3 fanboys who made a big fuss about this...

i personally couldnt care....its an online game so ill leave it and just wait for FF13
Lugsy said:
Wow, I remember when they said it would be PS3 only. Then came the PC version. Now the 360 version.

Indigo Dingo is probably rolling in his forum grave.
Wugsy again said:
well PSW mag hadlike a whole article on this about how they were so happy that they got it and the 360 jerks couldnt play it...

i think its better like this, but over console play would be good...i dunno if enough PS3er will be able to populate it will they? but then the PS3 priceis down now...
And, well, you get the point, this article for whatever reason magnetized towards the PS3 and pretty much hilariously off topic.
 

LeonLethality

New member
Mar 10, 2009
5,810
0
0
argh first with XIII now with XIV xbox should stop trying to get console exclusive games! it seems to try to buy out everythign to expand its market and its only delayed my favorite franchise
 

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
6,581
0
0
Huh, and I thought S-E was avoiding the 360 because they wanted to avoid the "PS2 limitations" issue that their current MMO, Final Fantasy XI has. See, the problem with FFXI is they *could* do a graphical upgrade on the whole thing, as it's been out for over 7 years, however since one of the consoles it's on is the PS2, they are quite limited as to how they can improve things. And, quite frankly, the 360 has been out for quite a while longer than the PS3 and will most likely "die" first. Since FFXI was S-E's first real introduction to the MMO, I thought the PC/PS3 exclusivity was just their way of showing they've learned from their mistakes.

But, clearly, they aren't worried about the 360 running out of steam anytime soon. So FFXI players who've relied on the 360 for the past few years can finally be at peace. :3
 

FinalHeart95

New member
Jun 29, 2009
2,164
0
0
Citrus Insanity said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Citrus Insanity said:
Quadtrix said:
If Square-Enix was smart, they would have avoided the 360 entirely.
If they were smart, they would have avoided consoles entirely.
Does that count as a shot against Final Fantasy as a whole? They probably could have, and they would have gone bankrupt.
No, I was referring to FFXIV specifically. MMOs are best kept to PCs, if FFXI and any of the few other console MMOs are any indication.
People used to say the same thing about FPSs, now look how it is.
 

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
6,581
0
0
FinalHeart95 said:
Citrus Insanity said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Citrus Insanity said:
Quadtrix said:
If Square-Enix was smart, they would have avoided the 360 entirely.
If they were smart, they would have avoided consoles entirely.
Does that count as a shot against Final Fantasy as a whole? They probably could have, and they would have gone bankrupt.
No, I was referring to FFXIV specifically. MMOs are best kept to PCs, if FFXI and any of the few other console MMOs are any indication.
People used to say the same thing about FPSs, now look how it is.
But the reasons MMOs are best kept on PCs are different from the reasons FPSs were said to be best kept on PCs. MMOs aren't games that are put out in their final form. MMOs are put out in their most basic form, and then over time are expanded upon with expansion packs. Also, FPSs have a set beginning and end. MMOs are meant to go on virtually forever.

These differences also illustrate the differences between consoles and the PC. Consoles have a maximum potential for graphics and processing power. Regardless of how many hard drives and other doodads to choose from, at one point or another you will hit the best it can do. PCs can and have been improving over the decades--they are the console that will never die. When you buy an Xbox360, you've bought the best Microsoft can do up to that point.

MMOs aren't best kept on the PC because of something as easily fixed as controls. MMOs are best kept on PCs because the PC has an infinite area of improvement without having to dump part of your player base, making graphical or interface upgrades 7 years after the game first came out possible. Whereas with a console, you eventually have to dump the entire system and move onto the next one.

FPSs do okay either way, controls and such can be adapted as long as the developer doesn't get too ambitious. But MMOs are a bit more...complicated than that.
 

RikSharp

New member
Feb 11, 2009
403
0
0
to reply to a couple posters who i won't embarrass with quoting them:

At Gamecom, Final Fantasy XIV Producer Hiromichi Tanaka stressed that an Xbox 360 version was in the works, and blamed Xbox Live for the delay that will occur between the PS3/PC release and the game's appearance on the 360.
the ps3/pc versions will be released before the x360 version, not that all 3 are being delayed over this.

the power of reading at work.
 

not a zaar

New member
Dec 16, 2008
743
0
0
Honestly I don't see why anybody cares about this game after the cam footage from Gamescom. It looks like FFXI (a very bad game) with some improved animations and models.
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
Desert Tiger said:
Ariyura said:
Angron said:
aww, poor ps3 fanboys who made a big fuss about this...

i personally couldnt care....its an online game so ill leave it and just wait for FF13
Fanboys made a big fuss about this? Really?
...Where did this happen?
In his mind. He's just upset that MS is causing a game delay now, and after he tore into ps for delaying... whatever it was they were responsible for delaying. Actually, I don't remember fanboys making a big deal out of anything last e3, not even Agent of which I actually wanted to hear rumors and speculation. I don't think ps3 owners get excited, we're the people that waited a year or more to get into the next gen gaming.

My wife will probably be the only one disappointed for the holdup. Isn't xbl supposed to be the best in online gaming? If the pc version is working fine online, shouldn't the 360 version too?
 

squid5580

New member
Feb 20, 2008
5,106
0
0
Jumplion said:
squid5580 said:
I see what you did there trying there. Thinking you could say something like that in small text so we wouldn't reread the article looking for the sentence where they downplay the 360. The only issue according to the article is and I quote

, because 360 has its own policy with Xbox Live that is different from [the] internet, that's something we're in discussions with Microsoft [about], to come to an agreement. That's one of the reasons it's not going to be launched at that point.
So unless I have lost my ability to comprehend a couple sentences it seems to me the issue at hand is some contract that MS has in place that SE and MS need to work out. Not that there is anything wrong with the 360 itself.
That wasn't what I was trying to convey, I don't mean downplaying the 360 as in Squeenix saying "Teh 360 iz Terreeble!!#$!", you're comprehension is fine. What I'm meaning to say is that the focus of this article is mostly the 360 in essence, while one little sentence;

"If you said "Just the PlayStation 3", I'm afraid you get a big fat 'F', because despite what Jack Tretton might have said about the game at E3 this year, it's about as far from a Sony exclusive as you can get."
was just a small input by the articlist, not the focus of the article. And yet I see people saying;

Mugsy said:
Wow. Sony just can not hold onto any decent exclusives can they.
Then again, a MMO. Meh, they are welcome to it.
God dammit square, cut it out with the shitty generic MMOs and start fixing up the FF series again.
Wugsy said:
aww, poor ps3 fanboys who made a big fuss about this...

i personally couldnt care....its an online game so ill leave it and just wait for FF13
Lugsy said:
Wow, I remember when they said it would be PS3 only. Then came the PC version. Now the 360 version.

Indigo Dingo is probably rolling in his forum grave.
Wugsy again said:
well PSW mag hadlike a whole article on this about how they were so happy that they got it and the 360 jerks couldnt play it...

i think its better like this, but over console play would be good...i dunno if enough PS3er will be able to populate it will they? but then the PS3 priceis down now...
And, well, you get the point, this article for whatever reason magnetized towards the PS3 and pretty much hilariously off topic.
Dude you have been around here long enough that you should know that just mentioning one or the other system is enough to get responses like that. No matter what the content of the thread actually is. I am waiting for the hatemail to start filling my inbox since I have that Xbox badge.