Xbox Live to Produce Original Programming

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Xbox Live to Produce Original Programming

The former president of CBS will head up Xbox Live's new original programming division.

Over the course of its long lifecycle, Xbox Live has grown from a multiplayer service to a multimedia bazaar, complete with features spanning from streaming services like Netflix and Hulu Plus to coverage of the current US presidential election. And Microsoft has no intention of stopping there. Yesterday, the company announced that it has hired former CBS President Nancy Tellem to helm the development of original streaming content.

"The Xbox is already a consumer favorite," Tellem said, in a recent press release, "and we now have a tremendous opportunity to transform it into the center of all things entertainment - from games, music and fitness to news, sports, live events, television series and movies - so consumers have one destination for all their entertainment needs." Don Mattrick, president of the Interactive Entertainment Business Group at Microsoft, added, "Under [Tellem's] direction, we look forward to building and extending our creative offerings from the living room to all your devices."

Details of what sort of original content Microsoft intends to create is scarce, but one thing is certain: Most major networks have been very slow to embrace the internet as an entertainment medium. How many movies and shows have been released in only a limited fashion on services like Netflix, or even not released at all? It's perhaps only natural, then, that it would fall to entertainment and computer software companies like Microsoft to pick up the torch. And while there have been a number of professional original webseries that have cropped up over the past several years - perhaps most notably, Felica Day's The Guild - it should be interesting to see what a group with Microsoft's money behind it can do.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I don't know whether to call it the CableBox or the AdBox.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Can't wait to see CSI Kirkwall.
It seems the killer

*puts on whatever the Dragon Age version of cool-looking eyewear would be"

Was as quick as a Hawke.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! [http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=csi&play=true]

Anyway, it could have potential but it'll probably end up being targeted at the frat boy crowd and be shit.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I look forwards to original movies, I just hope they're like they are on Sci Fi, because Sharktapuss was hilarious.

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
Thet me guess it will be us only like, half the stuff on there.

Still, i use my xbox once a week, and when my live runs out that will be it, doesnt affect me.
cant wait to see how many more adverts they can cram in though

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
You know what would be nice?

If we outside of the US could get some of this content. Is someone working on that?

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
JoshV said:
And while there have been a number of professional original webseries that have cropped up over the past several years - perhaps most notably, Felica Day's The Guild - it should be interesting to see what a group with Microsoft's money behind it can do.
The Guild did have Microsoft's money behind it for seasons two through five. That's part of why it always showed up first on XBL/Zune/MSN before the episodes were eventually put up elsewhere. It's only with season six (starting next month) that they're back off the MS exclusivity deal and the licensing money that came from it, as far as I know.

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
I LIKE IT! As long as it's reasonably priced, this could, and should, replace everyone's cable box. Instead of getting bent over the rails by Comcast or DirecTV, you could just pay a monthly fee for shows and games. Hopefully, they give you options so you can pay for what you want to see and...

oh, shit. It will become what we already hate: a cable box.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The real outdated notion here is limiting content by region, or platform. Putting exclusive viewed content on the Xbox is basically Microsoft trying to steal broadcast services from the tv providers, while not offering much more than the usual "chained to this black box, and paying to have ads spewed at you" deal. I didn't escape the old model and hard copies so that I could be further tied to "the man" so to speak.

sadly, even though netflix is much more open to distribution, it's been having a sucky time convincing everybody that it's worth something when everybody takes their pretty much unrestricted service for granted

hopefully, other services with much more funding behind them will be as pragmatic