Xbox One Backward Compatibility Is a Future Possibility

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...that's not backwards compatibility, it's re-releasing. That would be like saying the PS3 is backwards compatible with the NES because you can play Bionic Commando Rearmed on it. I can't play my NES cartridges on a PS3, and you can't play 360 discs on an Xbone.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
roseofbattle said:
"Because what the cloud can do is sort of hard to pin,"
You mean the Cloud isn't all powerful magic that can do everything? Were you lying to us the customer about its abilities?

subtlefuge said:
Wouldn't be much of a stretch. The Xbox One has proven to be nothing if not completely backtrack compatible.
Congratulations on on making me laugh.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Story said:
Well to be fair, people have been complaining that the next consoles aren't backwards compatible, so even with the restrictions, this could be very beneficial for Microsoft. Especially, since who knows that's going to happen to the 360 after 3 or so years.

I'm still not getting one though.
The difference is, the people that complained wanted Xbone to playu their 360 discs. not to use cloud stream service.

Infernal Lawyer said:
I'm sorry, this IS the digital cloud we're talking about, right? Not some arcane magical cloud that has to be woven by warlocks? Amazing how we're now treating the cloud like some mysterious entity rather than a fucking internet server...
Thats because cloud is not a server. Cloud does not need server. Technically, cloud stores data on your machine. that is, your machine store data for hundreds other people, and you store yours in hindreds other people. its like all machines interconnected, without a need of a central server. So far such system has never been utilized properly. on paper - its awesome idea. when you need power you got power of 100 machines, and whne you sleep somone else uses yours. In reality that would mean all machines identical, always online and with ridiculous data transfer speeds between eachother. so the only real posibility to utilize it is via LAN principle. and we just call them cluster servers.
When the world stops being stuck in the 90s and get its internet updated we coudl talk about local cloud, but for now it is just a arcane magical cloud that has been woven by warlocks.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
loc978 said:
...that's not backwards compatibility, it's re-releasing. That would be like saying the PS3 is backwards compatible with the NES because you can play Bionic Commando Rearmed on it. I can't play my NES cartridges on a PS3, and you can't play 360 discs on an Xbone.
The case has already been made that new consoles can't play old games because of technical issues so they have to tweak it properly to work blah de blah. Of course, I agree; re-releasing old games simply isn't equal to backwards compatibility. I think it's damn awesome that my 3DS can play NES games, hand picked from the online shop, but it would be stupid to claim that it was backwards compatible with the NES for the reason you stated. (Then again, people are more willing to accept the excuse of technical issues, as well as be more willing to pay more money for something they already own, for a game that's from several generations ago as opposed to the last one)

Personally, I don't see why they can't have a system where you have to download last-gen consoles like XBLA or w/e, but if you happen to have a disk handy, you can VALIDATE it for the service, so you still have to download it but otherwise you're not paying extra for something you already own, or at the very least get a massive discount (playing devils advocate here, but tweaking games so they work on new technology DOES cost money. It would be better than just saying "Fuck you, get with the future" anyway).
Strazdas said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
I'm sorry, this IS the digital cloud we're talking about, right? Not some arcane magical cloud that has to be woven by warlocks? Amazing how we're now treating the cloud like some mysterious entity rather than a fucking internet server...
Thats because cloud is not a server. Cloud does not need server. Technically, cloud stores data on your machine. that is, your machine store data for hundreds other people, and you store yours in hindreds other people. its like all machines interconnected, without a need of a central server. So far such system has never been utilized properly. on paper - its awesome idea. when you need power you got power of 100 machines, and whne you sleep somone else uses yours. In reality that would mean all machines identical, always online and with ridiculous data transfer speeds between eachother. so the only real posibility to utilize it is via LAN principle. and we just call them cluster servers.
When the world stops being stuck in the 90s and get its internet updated we coudl talk about local cloud, but for now it is just a arcane magical cloud that has been woven by warlocks.
Wait wait wait... What? What exactly are you suggesting? Because it sounds like you're trying to say "while you're not using your Xbone, someone else is using the 'Power of the Cloud' to get some of it's processing power", and that's just wrong in so many ways. Either that or you're using that example to say why the idea of the 'cloud' is ridiculous or something, I don't know...
Either I'm seriously misinterpreting what you're saying, or you're suggesting something that even MS' PR team would cringe at. I mean, you DO know what a server is, right? I'm know questioning someone's intelligence is the height of rudeness, but this whole 'Xbone hive mind' idea has seriously confused me (that and it's late and I'm tired).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So long as I don't have to buy the old 360 games again (maybe it can track your User history if you transfer over to the One) I see this as an improvement. If not, then I still have my Xbox 360.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
I don't understand Microsoft's thinking on this one. It's less powerful than PS4, comes out a week later, and in less countries than the PS4, and costs $100 more.I am legitimately baffled as to how Microsoft sees all these points and says,"Yea, that'll help us out just fine." What am I missing?

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
Me having a sexual relationship with Kate Upton is also a "future possibility." Doesn't mean it is going to happen.

If Microsoft is thinking about backwards compatibility, then they should either just do it or not mention anything at all.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
subtlefuge said:
Wouldn't be much of a stretch. The Xbox One has proven to be nothing if not completely backtrack compatible.
Someone give this man a medal.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012

---
Joking aside, I'm sure the response to these undoubtedly good news will not be poisonous and unfairly dismissive.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Infernal Lawyer said:
Wait wait wait... What? What exactly are you suggesting? Because it sounds like you're trying to say "while you're not using your Xbone, someone else is using the 'Power of the Cloud' to get some of it's processing power", and that's just wrong in so many ways. Either that or you're using that example to say why the idea of the 'cloud' is ridiculous or something, I don't know...
Either I'm seriously misinterpreting what you're saying, or you're suggesting something that even MS' PR team would cringe at. I mean, you DO know what a server is, right? I'm know questioning someone's intelligence is the height of rudeness, but this whole 'Xbone hive mind' idea has seriously confused me (that and it's late and I'm tired).
If they were doing the technical version of the cloud yes, that is what it is. the cloud to put it simply is all your machines working together. while hive mind is not a good deifinition since it isnt really a mind to begin with, but yes they work together in the cloud. I did mention that noone has managed to do cloud properly EVER with exception of Local itnerconnectivity, and those we called cluster servers anyway.
Yes i do know what a server is. i specifically stated at the begining that cloud is not a server nor it even needs a server to exist.
Now, mind you, im not saying microsoft has created a cloud. heck them putting 300 million server is already proof otherwise. im merely saying that both the poster and MS does not even know what the cloud is apperently. well PR often lie to impress so thats nothing new.

Now the whole "cloud is evil" is wrong. its not. If anything, its good. its sharing. you share your available processing power while your not using, and you use others when you need it. It runs on basic principle of sharing what you have. and it would work, if people would not turn the machines off as soon as their done using the power. well work as in in theory as so far internet wont allow it yet. Like many things, on papers its awesome concept. the main problem - humans.