Xbox One Dashboard Video Demonstrates Features

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One Dashboard Video Demonstrates Features

<youtube=1aWrjuBo70o>​
This video should not be confused with a live demo of the dashboard, however.

Microsoft recently released a video on its Xbox One page showing off the use of the dashboard and voice recognition functionality. The cut together video, called "Xbox One Kinect & Gameplay Tour" is not a live demo but a presentation of the Xbox One's commands and menus.

Archie Earnest, featured in the video, runs the viewer through several commands, such as watching Pacific Rim, viewing the activity feed, playing Titanfall, recording and sharing gameplay footage, switching to TV, snapping Internet Explorer to browse the internet without interrupting the previous activity, answering a Skype call, and shutting down the Xbox One.

Commands are quick. Because the video is more of a marketing video than a live demo, users may not experience the same ease Archie Earnest did, but this is how the Xbox One dashboard is supposed to work. Nonetheless, the ability to use voice recognition to record and upload gameplay footage or open a web browser without needing to stop the game allows the player to do multiple things with the Xbox One simultaneously without interrupting the game. Even if the commands are not as fluid in reality as in the video, Microsoft is clearly marketing the Xbox One as a smooth console for multitaskers. Naturally, the controller can be used to navigate menus instead of Kinect voice commands.

The Xbox One launches on Nov. 22 for $499.99. We may not be able to see the dashboard used in real time until the console launches.

Source: Xbox [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/meet-xbox-one]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
It just looks annoying to me, with it trying to shove LOOK SOCIAL MEDIA at me. Plus there's the presumption that you can't say 'xbox' without accidentally entering a command. And tiles.

Effing.
Tiles.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
The only feature that interests me is Skype calls, mainly because I use it to talk to my friends while on Ps3 online. Apart from that i didn't see anything special, the advert could have put the commands in a more natural order though.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Looks like the dash is still going to be cluttered with shitty ads on a console people purchased and network they subscribe to...

Other than that, it looks like it's going to be what I hoped the kinect's voice commands were going to be. I mean, it actually recognized the name of that movie?

I've been frustrated with my current kinect and it's failure to control movies and such.

Aug 1, 2010
OH MY GOD

It's exactly the same. Ads and all.

Truly, the most incredible innovation of our time.

Though I am extremely happy about the complete lack of avatars.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
What's the fucking point? It sounds like a car in can't remember the name of, the leading designer wanted the car to be all about comfort, sound was one of the things he wanted eliminated as much as possible. He told his engineers that the hood/bonnet shouldn't vibrate at all up to (for arguments sake) 200mph but the top speed of the car is only 180mph.

How many people want to play a game, record, Skype use the net and watch a programme? What kind do of multi-screen god creature are Microsoft marketing towards? I know if I am playing a game, I just want to play a game

Is that just me?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Comments and ratings disabled, a sure sign of quality!

I'd like to see an actual demonstration of the thing, I'm guessing there is a longer pause between the kinect hearing you and it doing something different.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's a bad sign when you have to fake the UI instead of using the real thing this close to launch. I could've accepted a mockup video six months ago, but at this stage, the thing should be pretty much ready.

P.S. Thanks

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Covarr said:
It's a bad sign when you have to fake the UI instead of using the real thing this close to launch. I could've accepted a mockup video six months ago, but at this stage, the thing should be pretty much ready.
Not necessarily true. Both companies (Sony and MS) are going to use pre-made videos and anything they can to make both consoles and interfaces as smooth as possible for advertisements and so on. When's the last time you saw ANY ad for software or hardware that actually showed it working live? I seriously can't think of a single one.

It's not about it "not being ready." It's about making it look good for marketing purposes. It's in no way a "bad sign" nor does it mean that the actual interaction won't be smooth either. Lots of assumptions being made, eh?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Midniqht said:
Covarr said:
Not necessarily true. Both companies (Sony and MS) are going to use pre-made videos and anything they can to make both consoles and interfaces as smooth as possible for advertisements and so on. When's the last time you saw ANY ad for software or hardware that actually showed it working live? I seriously can't think of a single one.

It's not about it "not being ready." It's about making it look good for marketing purposes. It's in no way a "bad sign" nor does it mean that the actual interaction won't be smooth either. Lots of assumptions being made, eh?
If this were a 30-second TV spot, where they have to show off as many features as possible in a hard-limited timeframe, I'd agree with you, but this is being treated more as a demonstration.

P.S. Thanks

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
OH MY GOD

I'm sorry, all I'm seeing is a reasonable console dashboard with the shop functions to the immediate right. Not the exactly "saturated with ads" image I was getting from people. Even if it's 'exactly the same as the last one", I don't feel like this deserves the ire it's getting. Or maybe I'm missing something here?

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Really don't see how all of this couldn't just be accomplished with controller (as many of the features seem to still rely on). The only thing that's easier is sending invites, etc., via voice commands, rather than pausing an active game.

On the subject, wouldn't all this quick switching mess up your "quit early" ratio in games like Titanfall? Nobody would want to party up with you!

The only feature I might enjoy is picture in picture of a tv show or movie, especially while playing MMO's or RPG's (during the grind heavy portions). Alternately, it'd be nice to have custom soundtracks playing in the background while playing.

Again, none of this needs Kinect to work. Still, it'll be interesting to see how the console wars pan out. There are NO system launch titles I care about that aren't also on current gen or PC (and look JUST AS FREAKING GOOD!!!).

Aug 1, 2010
Infernal Lawyer said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
OH MY GOD

I'm sorry, all I'm seeing is a reasonable console dashboard with the shop functions to the immediate right. Not the exactly "saturated with ads" image I was getting from people. Even if it's 'exactly the same as the last one", I don't feel like this deserves the ire it's getting. Or maybe I'm missing something here?
The only real problem is the tone of the presentation. Rather than going "We haven't screwed it up. The end" they're trying to be all slick and cool like having the same dashboard is a special feature. In addition, the 360 dashboard, while fine, is nowhere near perfect and has room for improvement that it looks like they haven't taken any steps toward.

At this point, Microsoft is still in a bit of a hole on the topic of public support. They've fixed things, sure, but the overall feel of the Xbone is still not positive by any means. Right now, they need to stop celebrating things that are a given and focus on actual positives like exclusives and NEW features.

As for the ads, it isn't bad really. Just the same as the 360 so again, no improvement.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Funny thing is that it could be just as easy to do all that with a controller, unless the Xbone runs as slowly as the 360. My god it takes so fucking long for the console to respond. All they would need is an Alt + Tab type of function to cycle through your current tasks, rather than this Kinect business.

And more fucking tiles on the dashboard? Tiles are fine for touchscreen devices, but for controllers and mouse control it's just terrible. It doesn't even look very nice either. Just oversized green squares everywhere.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Roboterik said:
That guy has some serious problems with his attention span.
I agree, but I do realize this is a just a showcase of what the Xbox One can do. This is my general time with my console:

1)I play a game for X (hours/minutes) take a break for snacks. See #2 or #3

2)I watch a TV show, flipping to other shows while the main show goes to commercial. Show ends. See #1 or #3

3)I watch a movie in it's entirety stopping for snacks or interruptions (phone, friends, or nature). Movie ends. See #1 or #2

The features are neat, but I don't see myself using them to the fullest. The recording of the game sessions? Sure something to share with friends. Don't get me started on skype.... The sliding web browser during a movie? Not so much as I like to enjoy the films not research while playing. The overall transitioning between tv, movie and games would get some use, but usually I just use my remote control to do that.

slavec

Mar 27, 2009
While the instant switching between games/movies/internet looks cool and all, but nobody is going to use it like that. I'd much rather they put out a long video of somebody just playing games and using the console like a normal person would. Or rather a bunch of different videos of people with different interests using the console, because that would be a much better showcase of the potential than these meaningless marketing videos.

I would've liked to see a video of a developer playing a game like Dark Souls for instance. He has trouble with beating a boss and goes "Xbox! Snap internet explorer. Search 'Dark Souls wiki, Iron Golem' (Don't look at me like that, we all know that's what most of us are going to use the xbox internet explorer for). Although it will probably be more like this: "Xbox! Snap internet explorer. Search 'Dark Souls wiki, Quelaana'. No, Quelaana! Not key lager, QUELAANA! Fuck it, I'll do it myself.

But alas, no backwards compatibility. They shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, I'm certain that the guy has ADHD...
All I can imagine is jerk friends saying "Xbox Off" while you're playing a game to screw with you.
And not sure why someone would use the Xbox One to Skype a person and ask them a question. Don't people have cell phones?

Beyond that, I'm honestly not impressed one way or the other. It certainly didn't reinvent the wheel and I honestly don't know what the Hub does that makes it special. The PS4 ad actually showed how I could use it in day to day gaming and how it enhanced my play.

omega 616 said:
What's the fucking point? It sounds like a car in can't remember the name of, the leading designer wanted the car to be all about comfort, sound was one of the things he wanted eliminated as much as possible. He told his engineers that the hood/bonnet shouldn't vibrate at all up to (for arguments sake) 200mph but the top speed of the car is only 180mph.

How many people want to play a game, record, Skype use the net and watch a programme? What kind do of multi-screen god creature are Microsoft marketing towards? I know if I am playing a game, I just want to play a game

Is that just me?
Silly nerd. No one buys a gaming console to play games on. That's why no one is buying the PS4. Right?

CriticalMiss said:
Comments and ratings disabled, a sure sign of quality!

I'd like to see an actual demonstration of the thing, I'm guessing there is a longer pause between the kinect hearing you and it doing something different.
To be fair, every Xbox One ad I have looked at had a red lightsaber and a Top Comment that usually amounted to "I'm buying a PS4." So, it's not like there isn't a reason.

On the other hand, disabling those sort of things kind of admits that people hate the Xbox One. That they know the people will probably spend most of the time arguing about how much it sucks and whatnot, regardless of the video content.