Xbox One Limited To 21 Countries At Launch

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Tee-hee, Hungary is Xbone-free!

There will be zero Xbones around my 150 kilometer radius!

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
wooty said:
Are they just looking to have a good enough excuse to bow out of the console business? They've already pissed off a large number of gamers in their own back yard, now they're taking the hate train international. Silly, silly moves.
They don't need a excuse to bow out of it, quite a few of their shareholder wanted them to get rid of xbox division even when xbox360 was at it best, has the division is not profitable enough compared to the rest of their business, has it require too much investment.

captcha: peg out, I don't think I even need to explain that one. =p

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Ironside said:
The 360 never sold well in Japan
Compared to the other two. It still sold 1.6 million units. That's what they are now throwing away in this one country alone, because they can't be bothered to set up store there.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So that's one more thing for Sony to announce in one of their press conferences and piss all over Microsoft.

"The PS4 will not be available in the following countries at launch: ...Only kidding! We're not twats. trolololol"

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
Well you can preorder it in Romania. Don't know anybody who would want to do that and they may end up with a 500$ blu ray player that only plays american region disks. Then again PSN doesn't support Romania so if anyone from Sony asks I live on 10 Downing Street. In other news I'm getting a PS4.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Of course, can't have that TV nonsense working everywhere at once because nearly every country has their own system.

They sure as hell aren't positioning themselves well with that though.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
So, at least in terms of the global market, this console generation is purely between Sony and Nintendo. I don't have a problem with that.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
You know, I know its pretty much standard for Africa to be the butt monkey of the world in all things, but really, couldn't even throw South Africa a bone? Not even?

Well, I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but it still urks me just a little. Silly, I know, but there it is.

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
loa said:
I do suppose an imported american console will still play in, say, germany?
And what about imported games anyway?

no it wont. they are sasying there will be no xbox live support. that means you cant connect to the servers every 24 hours like the xbone requires. you will have simply imported a door stop for all the use you will get from it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Hey, Microsoft! Looks like you're gonna need this:

Ya know, for all them holes your digging.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Huh, no Japan means no games from their studios on the console unless they are foreign studios. Considering the fact I actually play those games, I've now got yet another reason not to buy this natural disaster of a product.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I just realized something else. Microsoft has officially just stated that 2/3rds of the world's population is incapable of using this system. Wow.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
I know Microsoft has never had a strong presence in the Asia market, but by completely ignoring it instead of say fixing the problem they are losing millions apon millions in possible sales right there... In today's global economy this is one of the dumbest things any major Corporation could possibly do to themselves... Microsoft truly wants the Xbone to fail it seems.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Ironside said:
"Omits nations like Portugal, Japan, Ukraine, Greece and Poland." I dont know if you guys follow the news, but the populations of Greece and Portugal do not have much disposable income at the moment, businesses are fleeing both countries and youth (the people most likely to buy these consoles) unemployment is at record levels of 65% and 40+% respectively. The 360 never sold well in Japan and Ukraine is one of the poorest countries in Europe. You can criticise Microsoft for a lot of things relating to the xbone, but this just seems like a smart business decision to me in that they are focusing their resources on the areas where they are actually going to make reasonable returns.
Oh it may well be a good business decision, but it's more about the implications of an online console. Add up all the people in all the countries it's not supported in who would have bought it and it comes to millions of sales, all because they wont let us buy single player games and then actually play them.

It emphasizes the fact that it's down to microsoft to decide if you're allowed to play your games and in a decade when the servers are turned off in at least SOME countries you will have a $500 blu-ray player.

Hannes Martinsson

Dec 23, 2011
Seriously? This is not a joke? Am I living in a Monty Python sketch? This can't be real.....

This is real... I actually laughed out loud reading this.

I'm kinda expecting John Cleese suddenly apearing in my living room and saying "And now for something completely different"

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Hmm... my country is on that list... but what about a list of countries that can take advantage of all their media hook ups (like Netflix and Hulu)... that's a lot smaller than 21.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well isn't this just peachy. I'm sure this is a result of the way the Xbox is reliant on the network, but that list is so very small. They've basically covered the minimum of their markets.

The lack of any Asian countries is astounding. I get the 360 didn't sell well in Asia, but the response should be "how can we increase our sales in this extremely lucrative market?" And not "well fuck 'em".

From what I've seen of the Xbox so far it is a perfect alignment of shortsighted technology and arrogant business practices. Heck the Wii U is looking like a breath of fresh air now.