Xbox One Offline Update Instructions Pulled by Microsoft

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
It may be that the patch offered offline was not an appropriate substitute. The fact remains that Microsoft could have offered the actual patch offline, but has chosen not to.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
While PS4 has it's issues, Sony ain't this dickish.
In fact, they did the opposite. They made sure we knew the patch could be downloaded and then installed with a flash drive. Microsoft saw people do this and decided to yank the info.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
What is this... some weird form of Hipsterism? Was Microsoft perfectly alright with the patch until someone pointed out where to go to the dirty majority and it suddenly wasn't cool anymore?

Y'know, I don't think they really took the files down, they just made them really hard to find. With no links to the page and you have to know the exact file addresses. And the online directory name is filled with a lot of Is and 1s, 0s and Os... just be MORE confusing and therefore more exclusive.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Neronium said:
blalien said:
It still is this way for Nintendo systems. If there is a mandatory update (which doesn't happen often), it's usually included on the game disc.
Not on the Wii U I think, my friend. I've gotten most games that have been on the Wii U that are disc based and not once have I had that Update prompt show up before playing my games, and it was only until I connected to the internet that I could update. Plus, remember the mandatory update that the Wii U had when it first launched on launch day, the 1 GB one? No, well seems like most of the internet has forgotten it seems. All 3 of the consoles released for the new gen has required an update on day one, and the Wii U update wasn't on a disc at all.
The 1GB patch was a myth, the size was estimated based on the fact that the servers were clogged because a lot of people were downloading at the same time. Also with the Wii U ou can actually play while downloading patches, even if you're downloading it for the game you're currently playing (just not online). I'm actually impressed that Nintendo has managed to do what computers have been doing for the last decade.

OT: I can't see why they wouldn't prepare the option to install the patch through an USB drive, if they could have spread the strain of downloading over the week before the release it could have made it a lot faster to get the patch for those who download it directly on launch date. However this would please a few customers so that goes against what they've been planning for the Xbox One.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
luvd1 said:
... Am I the only one who remembers a console launch being a joyous occasion with no fuss. You used to get your grubby little hands on your new bit of kit, plugged it in, sorted out the cables and with the grin still on your face and only being in the house for 10 minutes (if that) you were plying your new best friend. Now.... Gods help us.
Yeah, god help us from that horrid 'connect the wifi and wait a few minutes' step. What a nightmare.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Pebkio said:
What is this... some weird form of Hipsterism? Was Microsoft perfectly alright with the patch until someone pointed out where to go to the dirty majority and it suddenly wasn't cool anymore?

Y'know, I don't think they really took the files down, they just made them really hard to find. With no links to the page and you have to know the exact file addresses. And the online directory name is filled with a lot of Is and 1s, 0s and Os... just be MORE confusing and therefore more exclusive.
My guess based on their 'explanation' would be that the process of manual patching wasn't polished enough to be worth the trouble. When you start offering options to let people download files and do things themselves, even if it's perfect you're opening up a massive new stream of tech support tickets, and I'd imagine it was somewhat less than perfect.

So while it's not great, if the process wasn't perfect they look better pulling it than they do allowing a bunch of people to screw it up and start complaining. Of course, the ideal approach would have been to not post it in the first place if it wasn't up to par, but whatever.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
VoidOfOne said:
blalien said:
luvd1 said:
... Am I the only one who remembers a console launch being a joyous occasion with no fuss. You used to get your grubby little hands on your new bit of kit, plugged it in, sorted out the cables and with the grin still on your face and only being in the house for 10 minutes (if that) you were plying your new best friend. Now.... Gods help us.
It still is this way for Nintendo systems. If there is a mandatory update (which doesn't happen often), it's usually included on the game disc.
Only problem, the few amount of game discs there are for the Wii U. Their problem is different, but the console is still solid. Nintendo just isn't.

And this helps make me so happy for buying a new console for this generation: Alienware.
Yeah, I've also switched to PC gaming this generation. In my personal opinion, console games have seriously stagnated lately. None of the new consoles have any games that get me excited, and certainly nothing that justifies their purchase.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Neronium said:
blalien said:
Not on the Wii U I think, my friend. I've gotten most games that have been on the Wii U that are disc based and not once have I had that Update prompt show up before playing my games, and it was only until I connected to the internet that I could update. Plus, remember the mandatory update that the Wii U had when it first launched on launch day, the 1 GB one? No, well seems like most of the internet has forgotten it seems. All 3 of the consoles released for the new gen has required an update on day one, and the Wii U update wasn't on a disc at all.
The difference is that the Wii U update wasn't required to play games.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
blalien said:
No it wasn't, but until you did the update you weren't allowed to play your games because the console wouldn't let you otherwise. At least that's what happened to me.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This being internet and all who is willign to bet that both the files and the steps are already leaked on plenty of locations?

Neronium said:
blalien said:
No it wasn't, but until you did the update you weren't allowed to play your games because the console wouldn't let you otherwise. At least that's what happened to me.
Yes you could In fact you could play them WHILE it was downloading and installing the update.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Whytewulf said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Love how you didn't mention this, roseofbattle:

"That file was never designed to replace the day one update," Microsoft exec Albert Penello explained via NeoGAF. "It's a recovery file in case something goes wrong. Instead of risking customers get themselves into a bad state by installing the file, we are going to troubleshoot on a case-by-case basis. It is not a replacement for the online update."

Are you saying there isn't a story with that additional information...? Oh wait, yes you are.. People find anything to complain about.
What I'm saying is, a story with misleading or missing key details is just as bad as, if not worse than, having no story at all.

Sorry, my comments may have been misunderstood. I was agreeing with you and trying to be sarcastic to the others.. hah.. I failed. Nonetheless it was a weak story. No one is forcing anyone to buy the device, and MS never said this was going to be an option before hand. I can fully understand why they would want to control the release of patches through one process. There are going to be enough people complaining about something anyway. Why is it only in BLACK!

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
truckspond said:
Sony: Puts instructions and files for offline update on their site and encourages people to use that method for a better launch day experience

Microsoft: Takes down instructions and files for offline update and actively discourages people to use that method and depends on their servers to hold up against DDOS levels of legitimate traffic when everyone gets the console

Which approach do you prefer?
I think the worst part is that MS admitted the update is complex enough that people will need the tech support's help to install it. If that's how things are on day one, I can only imagine how bad it'll be down the line.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
roseofbattle said:
Unlike the PS4's at-launch system update, the Xbox One's update is needed to do anything with the console.
....Wait .... WHAT!?!? You mean they are purposefully shipping bricks to people?!? And there is no guarantee that, even if the buyer has a stable internet connection, the servers will remain accessabile to new X-Bone owners needing to download the patch?

Since when did Microsoft and EA start swapping trade secrets?

"Yeah, serious, make "always on-line" a requirement and crash all your servers on opening day. The people LOVE that!"

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
I have no interest in the Xbone anyway. I buy consoles for the exclusives, and the only exlusives microsoft has that anyone cares about are Halo and Gears of War. Playstation has Infamous, Journey, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank and pretty much everything made by Naughty Dog. So for me the PS4 is the system I am buying.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
My gut says it was probably pulled for security reasons.
I dunno what Microsoft, of all companies, couldn't handle a patch with just a batch-package loaded to a USB drive unless there's some other layer of security they don't want to potentially expose to the public.

Ickorus said:
EDIT: Ah, I see it's just the stunning omission of facts that seems to be becoming more and more commonplace on The Escapist that makes Microsoft look like silly sausages.
It's why I've started checking their sources in entirety.
At least when I can...a couple of articles I haven't been able to on account of "technical difficulties".

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
I'll be honest.... I am becoming more and more tempted to buy a WiiU and maybe upgrade my PC somewhere down the line.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Love how you didn't mention this, roseofbattle:

"That file was never designed to replace the day one update," Microsoft exec Albert Penello explained via NeoGAF. "It's a recovery file in case something goes wrong. Instead of risking customers get themselves into a bad state by installing the file, we are going to troubleshoot on a case-by-case basis. It is not a replacement for the online update."
If anything, that might be an even bigger dick move. It was provided in case people were having serious problems, and now they've deprived those people of the ability to use it just because some people misinterpreted its purpose. "Your Xbox broke? Oh well, too bad, there used to be a fix for it, but we've taken it down because people can't have nice things."

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Hey, Microsoft? Remember that ridiculously horrible backlash back when you first announced the Xbox One, and how you backpedaled so hard to prevent it from happening again?

... Why are you doing that shit again just because the consoles are out? There is such a thing as "Returning the product."

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hah hah hah hah hah... Oh, how comically predictable of them.

SO! Who's heard anything about that upcoming Steambox, hmm?