Xbox One: Rewarding Positive Results and Condemning Initial Action

hatok

Jan 25, 2013
I'd decided in advance that if Microsoft went back on their policies, I would stop actively trying to stop people to buy the thing.
And they did, so I do
But it's still by far the worse option. It's more expensive, it still has more restrictions, kinect and tv are still silly, it's not as powerful, it only supports hdmi, it's still very encrusted in online, it still hates indies, and it has far less variety in terms of exclusives.
If a person wants to buy it for Halo now, I'll understand, but anybody without a stake in microsoft shouldn't be buying it, still

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
shirkbot said:
Well, I'm actually quite shocked to see Microsoft changing policy, but it's left me a little conflicted. On the one hand, we need to reward Microsoft in some way or they'll just conclude they were doomed either way and won't listen again. On the other, I'm vindictive and don't really want to forgive them for making the misstep in the first place. In short:

How do we reward Microsoft for listening without giving them the false impression that the policy was ever acceptable?
My idea would be buy the console but refuse to sign up to Xbox live. Send the message you will buy their goods if they refrain from screwing us but refuse to sign up to a service that charges you for the privilage of playing part of the game you have brought (the online multiplayer aspect).

To be honest however I won't be buying one atall because I just don't trust them not to wait a year or so until ive built up a collection of games then jump in and say "oh, actually, from now on the Xbone is always online and you cant trade your games anymore after all..."

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
There's no point in rewarding them for a change that we FORCED.
I'm not saying we kiss and make up, but they did do what we screamed at them relentlessly to do. It feels disingenuous to not figure out some way to voice approval in a way that a corporation can comprehend. We got what we wanted (mostly), so...? I actually think this might be the most realistic solution:

DrOswald said:
We stop our bitching, give them a thumbs up, and then buy the PS4 because it is $100 cheaper.
Perhaps we could send some "Likes" to the Microsoft page or something? Just something small to let them know we're satisfied with the change of course without rewarding them more directly.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Same post I posted in the other thread

Anthony Corrigan said:
They haven't learned anything, they are still the arrogant assholes they were yesterday, no one has come out and apologized for the comments they made dismissing the customer reactions "want backwards, your backwards" "don't like always on, JUST DEAL WITH IT" "Don't have a stable connection, get a 360"

And now we have this

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read

which says the problem isn't the policies its the marketing. So in other words the problem isn't that they provided a shit product, its that they couldn't convince people that shit is a diamond and that we didn't lap it up

They still deserve to go bust because they haven't learned anything and could backflip on this again in 6 months with an update forcing everyone into line
If they were following the basic theory with regard to what to do when you make a mistake you don't come out and say arrogantly that 'you wanted this so we will give it even though you really don't know what your talking about and you fucked yourselves with this'

No you say "We are sorry, we screwed up and we humbly apologize"
Then you rectify the situation (the "backflip)
and THEN you give a gift to restore good will

They haven't done this, they have just bitched and moaned about how demanding the customers are being and how they have "generously allowed us to have our own way"

We don't exist to serve them, they exist to serve US, "CUSTOMERS ARE REALLY EVERYTHING"

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
shirkbot said:
Well, I'm actually quite shocked to see Microsoft changing policy, but it's left me a little conflicted. On the one hand, we need to reward Microsoft in some way or they'll just conclude they were doomed either way and won't listen again. On the other, I'm vindictive and don't really want to forgive them for making the misstep in the first place. In short:

How do we reward Microsoft for listening without giving them the false impression that the policy was ever acceptable?
I think they know that policy was deemed unacceptable. Making such a public change is a huge deal, and I don't see them ever trying again. Just by accepting that, and entirely re-evaluating the console on it's current merits is how you reward the change.

If we harbor grudges to this extent, why would any company ever reverse?
They've lost my day 1 sale by changing this decision, as I rather liked it before. If I'm any kind of representation of the people who were going to buy it, it would imply that they've not gained anything by altering.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Look at the games offered, look at the price charged, consider the policies involved and those that might come in the future and make a decision based on what we expect would give us the most pleasure. If all Microsoft have done is moved from a console I would never consider to one I would consider but still don't want then so be it.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
You don't reward the person who just tried to choke you for stopping because you struggled so much.
That wouldn't make any sense.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
uhh, you dont? the best thing you can do is continue to be as demanding and unappreciative as possible, showing them all they cant fuck with us like they used to. in business, nothing is done for the benefit of the consumer unless absolutely necessary, as microsoft has proven. you reward them and all you do is prevent any further benefits. either the consumer is a greedy dick bending business to their will, or the supplier is. weve had quite enough of the latter i think.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I wanted to be happy about the reversal because it meant I could buy the system and play the new Killer Instinct, but I honestly don't know if I can do that. Even with most of the restrictive bullshit gone, I can't seem to get past just how inept MS has become. Their ideas are terrible. Their excuses are terrible. The way they talk to me is terrible. I don't feel like I should ever reward a company for handling everything so poorly even when things turn out generally okay in the end. I mean they more or less called me and everyone like me backwards and stupid for the better part of a few months. Then they gave in without offering anything that even resembles an apology. So fuck them.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
FieryTrainwreck said:
I wanted to be happy about the reversal because it meant I could buy the system and play the new Killer Instinct, but I honestly don't know if I can do that. Even with most of the restrictive bullshit gone, I can't seem to get past just how inept MS has become. Their ideas are terrible. Their excuses are terrible. The way they talk to me is terrible. I don't feel like I should ever reward a company for handling everything so poorly even when things turn out generally okay in the end. I mean they more or less called me and everyone like me backwards and stupid for the better part of a few months. Then they gave in without offering anything that even resembles an apology. So fuck them.
Exactly and its not like they didn't know. Hell even EA is having to back down with their reversal of the online passes. Then there is the fact that anyone who has paid ANY attention would know that no MATTER the reality, Always Online is in the dog house with consumers because of Diablo 3 and then Sim City. No consumer is going to trust it no matter HOW good you try to make it sound.

And even Microsoft should have already have had their own wake up call about doing what they want to and ignoring customers. They are currently having to redesign window 8 back to a windows 7 interface because consumers have back lashed against it and even that PROBABLY wont go far enough because it only fixes the interface issues rather than the bugs and other issues Windows 8 has.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
It's been said, but bears repeating - Microsoft just upgraded their product from an abomination to a slab of mediocrity. While that is progress, we in no way need to reward them for that. We would reward them if it was good, say if it was cheap/had lots of good games/was doing something really appealing and innovative/etc., by buying it - as it is, they'll just be rewarded by those who favour the Xbox, or want to get both. They will be rewarded exactly as much as they deserve to be, based on how appealing their product is, and all we need to do as consumers is decide whether we want it, and be vocal about why we make our decision.

Personally, the difference between the Xbone and PS4 is as follows - The Xbone has Kinect and Halo, the PS4 is cheaper, has a strong history and lineup of exclusives, and is less likely to institute comically draconian DRM. PS4 wins in my books, might not in others, that's the way it goes.