Xbox One S Improves Framerates by up to 10%

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

The Eurogamer's digital foundry [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167953-Xbox-One-S-Arrives-Next-Month]. "At worst, Xbox One S operates exactly like the standard Xbox One. At best, we saw a 9fps 'in the moment' differential between both consoles running the same content," wrote Eurogamer's Richard Leadbetter. You can see the benchmarks in the video to the right.

What's causing this increase in framerate? While most of its other internal components are the same, the Xbox One S has a GPU clock-speed of 914MHz, up from 853MHz in the vanilla Xbox One. "Some games (ones that utilise dynamic resolution and/or unlocked frame-rates) may see a very minor performance improvement," says Microsoft's Albert Penello, on the increased clock-speed. "Our testing internally has shown this to be pretty minor, and is only measurable on certain games, so we didn't want to make it a 'selling point' for the new console."

Nonetheless, it does appear to be making a little bit of difference in quite a few games. If you're in the market for a next-gen console, it seems a no-brainer to get the S over the standard console, unless of course you're waiting for the super fancy Project Scorpio [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/project%20scorpio?os=project+scorpio].

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-s-has-a-gpu-overclock-and-we-have-benchmarked-it]

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
Just out of curiosity. Is there anyone who's actually bought one or is planning on getting one?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Not a bad job of overclocking I suppose. Though I suspect that there had better be a disclaimer somewhere, they wouldn't want to get sued...

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Whew, you're really gonna feel that one in the 30 FPS games. :I

Still, it is an improvement.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Barbas said:
Whew, you're really gonna feel that one in the 30 FPS games. :I

Still, it is an improvement.
I dunno man, 33 FPS is gonna look a lot better to me than a measly 30.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Voxoid said:
Just out of curiosity. Is there anyone who's actually bought one or is planning on getting one?
My mate did. Day one. Brought in his old Xbox One and all and traded it and payed whatever extra it was on top for the new console. I don't know why and asking him just gets a "because it's better."

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
A 10% difference? Even in best case scenario of 60 FPS that's only a 6 frame difference. In the more common circumstance of 30 FPS you get a maybe 3 frame difference. Um, yay progress? Why even talk about a power increase if it's so minimal that it might as well not exist?

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Comic Sans said:
A 10% difference? Even in best case scenario of 60 FPS that's only a 6 frame difference. In the more common circumstance of 30 FPS you get a maybe 3 frame difference. Um, yay progress? Why even talk about a power increase if it's so minimal that it might as well not exist?
To be fair MS are trying not to...

But a few games it drags the numbers just enough, allowing them to more consitently hit the 30 or 60 locks, and that makes a fair bit of difference smoothing out dips like that.

But MS aren't selling it as faster, they're selling it on UHD upscaling, HDR and bluray and its smaller size. THe Xbox being sold on power is the Scorpio next year.

Mr. Popplewick

Aug 4, 2016
Petromir said:
Comic Sans said:
To be fair MS are trying not to...

But a few games it drags the numbers just enough, allowing them to more consitently hit the 30 or 60 locks, and that makes a fair bit of difference smoothing out dips like that.

But MS aren't selling it as faster, they're selling it on UHD upscaling, HDR and bluray and its smaller size. THe Xbox being sold on power is the Scorpio next year.
"Omg we're not selling units! Quick, fracture our base into three pieces and enrage our biggest fans who DID buy a unit!"

Steven Bogos said:

The Eurogamer's digital foundry [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167953-Xbox-One-S-Arrives-Next-Month]. "At worst, Xbox One S operates exactly like the standard Xbox One. At best, we saw a 9fps 'in the moment' differential between both consoles running the same content," wrote Eurogamer's Richard Leadbetter. You can see the benchmarks in the video to the right.

What's causing this increase in framerate? While most of its other internal components are the same, the Xbox One S has a GPU clock-speed of 914MHz, up from 853MHz in the vanilla Xbox One. "Some games (ones that utilise dynamic resolution and/or unlocked frame-rates) may see a very minor performance improvement," says Microsoft's Albert Penello, on the increased clock-speed. "Our testing internally has shown this to be pretty minor, and is only measurable on certain games, so we didn't want to make it a 'selling point' for the new console."

Nonetheless, it does appear to be making a little bit of difference in quite a few games. If you're in the market for a next-gen console, it seems a no-brainer to get the S over the standard console, unless of course you're waiting for the super fancy Project Scorpio [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/project%20scorpio?os=project+scorpio].

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-s-has-a-gpu-overclock-and-we-have-benchmarked-it]

Why the fuck do you even bother? Seriously? I hope you're at least getting paid, anything else would be too tragic.

Mar 26, 2008
Voxoid said:
I will get one a few months down the track as a trade in for the old One. I can ditch the 500MB external HDD then. Too many bills at the moment.

A friend just bought one and seems happy. Also, given how often my son takes the current XB1 from his room to the loungeroom having to carry something 40% smaller will be slightly less annoying.